Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 04:40 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,423,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
That's why ya do the marketing. To avoid the unemployment.

Might actually be a market there for ya. Something simple like "Want to avoid fines for CLIA violations? Hire me!

I do believe those fines were federal. Not state.

I like to mieander about. And those violations certainlycould have affected the health of humans, lol. Involving the CDC of all things...
Well thankfully they did not

But come on 2007? Let's get current.

Actually TX A&M has some very good research going on there. It's not all bad.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,694,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I don't have to do marketing...my company does it for me!

Therefore I have no downtime in pay when I am not out on a consulting site.

There are plenty of CLIA consulting companies out there. I think it would be tough competition and lots of downtime without pay.

No thanks.
You are always marketing yourself. They might not recommend you or your company for hire elsewhere.

Or the hospital might want to hire you to run their labs, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
and more heart surgeries are performed than anywhere else in the world.
y'all do like your bbq.

And you do your lab violations bigger, as well. Not just run of the mill hospital labs, but ya involve the defense industry and CDC.

Last edited by Senno; 02-10-2013 at 04:52 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,078,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Since businesses are independent entities and can be located anywhere, I disagree with you. After all, these companies are issuing quarterly financial reports and having their own performance critically evaluated multiple times throughout the year.

Perhaps 30 or 40 years I would have agreed with you, but things have significantly changed in the economic world. Please keep in mind how many new laws were issued by the California legislature last year, arguing for companies to be passive for awhile doesn't seem reasonable when we have such a dynamic economic environment.

The companies are in a daily competitive environment, they don't have the luxury of waiting for things to get better.

Sure. Companies have to make decisions to help their own performance. If a company is not reliant on a local economy and can relocate to any location, they may just do that. I just hate to see it.
On a minor note, when I was in California a month ago I went to a sandwich shop I used to frequent. I mentioned to the owner who was at the register, that I used to come there a lot and that the sandwiches were $3 then vs $7 or so now (15 years ago). She said, she wished she could still do that, but things have changed, food costs up. She then started asking me about Texas, seems they were struggling a bit and she couldnt believe that they voted in a state income tax hike. Again, I take NO pleasure in that, I hate to see people struggle in a place they love to live.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Sure. Companies have to make decisions to help their own performance. If a company is not reliant on a local economy and can relocate to any location, they may just do that. I just hate to see it.
On a minor note, when I was in California a month ago I went to a sandwich shop I used to frequent. I mentioned to the owner who was at the register, that I used to come there a lot and that the sandwiches were $3 then vs $7 or so now (15 years ago). She said, she wished she could still do that, but things have changed, food costs up. She then started asking me about Texas, seems they were struggling a bit and she couldnt believe that they voted in a state income tax hike. Again, I take NO pleasure in that, I hate to see people struggle in a place they love to live.
Right, and folks like Rick Perry are trying to see if anyone would like to relocate and drop their income tax rate significantly in Texas. He may not succeed at all, but I applaud his trying to see what is possible.

After all, if California is going to be significantly more expensive to live in, from a tax and/or regulation perspective, it needs to also be worth it. Perhaps Perry can convince them the cost isn't worth the benefit.

Brown can send a delegation to Texas too, and try to convince them California is a better location from a market and quality of life perspective, and worth the additional cost. Nothing stops him from doing so.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:51 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,416,699 times
Quote:
Brown can send a delegation to Texas too, and try to convince them California is a better location from a market and quality of life perspective, and worth the additional cost. Nothing stops him from doing so.
Can't wait to see Gov. Brown's response here in Texas. He would want Texas workers, but I wonder how he is going to make his message appealing to Texans? Can't wait for him to spill the beans about the truth on "Right to Work" for Less in his first message.

Next message is the Texas School Board's attack on Science (featuring Creationism trumping Evolution), Math ("the distributive property is a Communist plot!"), and History (too many examples to name here) and how they are turning the schools into GOP indoctrination camps to pump out reliable GOP voters. I doubt high-tech, biomedical, and other science-based industries would locate their best and brightest to Texas considering the Evolution "debate" (which was settled over 100 years ago, but like Abortion, is still debatable to Conservatives) instead of employees doing routine work.

Last edited by KerrTown; 02-10-2013 at 06:33 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 06:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Can't wait to see Gov. Brown's response here in Texas. He would want Texas workers, but I wonder how he is going to make his message appealing to Texans. Can't wait for him to spill the beans about the truth on "Right to Work" for Less in his first message.

Next message is the Texas School Board's attack on Science (featuring Creationism trumping Evolution), Math ("the distributive property is a Communist plot!"), and History (too many examples to name here) and how they are turning the schools into GOP indoctrination camps to pump out reliable GOP voters. I doubt high-tech, biomedical, and other science-based industries would locate their best and brightest to Texas considering the Evolution "debate" (which was settled over 100 years ago, but like Abortion, is still debatable to Conservatives) instead of employees doing routine work.
Warning! Intelligent post. Some heads on the right my overload!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:14 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
Quote:
Can't wait to see Gov. Brown's response here in Texas. He would want Texas workers, but I wonder how he is going to make his message appealing to Texans. Can't wait for him to spill the beans about the truth on "Right to Work" for Less in his first message.

Well, you correctly point out what some of the living issues could be, in contrast to cost advantages.

These are all factors that need to be weighed by companies considering a move to a different state.

Like I previously stated though, anything that enhances competition is helpful.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:45 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,423,156 times
Quote:

KerrTown all of the people working in the high-tech, biomedical and other science based industries in TX are being paid a nice salary in TX. TX does not have the high COL or high tax structure and No State Income Tax. But there are plenty of folks in TX making big money in the various industries. You act as though everyone makes low pay there. Not true. Although my pay is higher here I have the same standard of living as I did in Houston. Only thing different is the weather and scenery. But as far as living expenses it is a wash after all of the high taxes and the COL is factored in.

The only reason that CA has to pay more to attract the same talent is due to its high COL and higher tax structure. No family would relocate here if the pay was not higher so that they could enjoy at least the same standard of living that they were accustomed to.

Actually CA pays higher salaries than any other state for the same profession.

Now the Texas School Board is certainly a joke and an embarrassment for TX. However that crap stops at K-12. Intelligent design should be wiped of the face of this earth...but unfortunately this is not only happening in TX.

There are states that teach the criticisms of evolution, such as Kansas and Ohio. And others who teach Creationism along with evolution, including Kentucky. Colorado and New York are two states that do teach evolution, but it is up to the schools, teachers, and counties on how this subject is taught and portrayed to the students. (Boyle 2005). There are several factors that decide what is taught in public schools. Texas tends to set the standards for textbooks throughout the country. The Institute of Educational Sciences is the research part of the Board of Education. They also help decide what will be taught in schools.

If you attend college in TX and study science you will learn about evolution in Freshman Biology. And you will also learn about US and TX history.

Also I attended K-12 grade in Houston and nowhere along my studies did I encounter GOP indoctrination. I am not sure what you are even talking about when you make that statement.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,721,623 times
If you look at the typical software engineer in San Jose they earn $92,002

San Jose, California City Salary, Average Salaries | PayScale

But in Austin they earn, $72,927

Austin, Texas City Salary, Average Salaries | PayScale

Run that through a good Cost of Living Calculator and you find that in San Jose you would have to earn $120,212 to equal the $72,927 in Austin, Tx the other tech center. In other words, you are ahead by by over $17,000 per year by living in Austin when both are working for typical salaries in the area.

The cost of living in San Jose at the same standard of living, is 65% higher than living in Austin.

Housing alone is 155% higher in San Jose.

On top of that there is no state income tax in Texas. Home taxes are at a higher rate in Austin, however to the difference in prices, the actual tax paid is less in Texas.

Another reason, that so many are leaving San Jose and going to Austin, and other lower living cost tech locations around the country.

Companies only set up in other states for new divisions, and move some or all of their company to another state for one reason.

That is called their bottom line (true after tax profits). It has to be enough difference to be able to make it worth while.

It is estimated that a company can move from Southern California to another state, and reduce their costs of doing business by up to 40%. If the company is located in California with gross income of $1,000,000 and a $600,000 cost of doing business they could in effect earn $400,000. However if they can reduce the cost of doing business by 40%, that is another $240,000 profit or $640,000 profit. Or they can take that $240,000 and use it to expand the business, and end up earning even more than $640,000 in profits within a short time. Think of how much the big companies can save and increase their profits by moving to another state. It can be billions of dollars in profits they increase their bottom line by.

STEM jobs that include the higher trained jobs such as software and hardware computer jobs, medical jobs, etc., are the most important measure of what is going on.

Between 2001, California lost 18,996 STEM jobs, They have a lot less STEM jobs than they had even back to 1990. They are losing these jobs, and other states are gaining.

Texas on the other hand in the same 10 year period increased their STEM jobs by 86,347 jobs. Arizona another state they are moving jobs to from California increased their STEM jobs by 8,975. Utah the current hot spot for STEM jobs increased by 11,969. Washington State 36,352.

States with Largest Presence of STEM-Related Jobs | Newgeography.com

In the past, California would have been adding these important STEM jobs right and left, but now they are losing them to Places like Oregon, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Washington State, and many other places.

Low wage jobs, have been the boon to the economic recovery. The states that are getting a good increase in STEM jobs, are the ones that are prospering.

During recovery, most new jobs offer low wages - CBS News

California has been seeing quite an increase in jobs, but the majority like everywhere are not the good jobs. They are loosing the important STEM jobs, and this is one reason that California is way ahead of other states in their 23.5% poverty rate. STEM jobs leaving, and low wage jobs are replacing them.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,078,944 times
Quote:
Right, and folks like Rick Perry are trying to see if anyone would like to relocate and drop their income tax rate significantly in Texas. He may not succeed at all, but I applaud his trying to see what is possible.

After all, if California is going to be significantly more expensive to live in, from a tax and/or regulation perspective, it needs to also be worth it. Perhaps Perry can convince them the cost isn't worth the benefit.

No nothing stops either, and Browns remarks were crude and childish. I still dont like it though.
Everyone knows California is much more expensive, but has incredible upside. Both places get misconceived, but I think Texas a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California