U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 PM

444 posts, read 455,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Question
Question: Who said CA is doing so great? We know what's going on here. You don't.

Question: Why do you care? shouldn't you be more concerned with your current state of residence? Montaner?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:55 PM

15,820 posts, read 19,516,868 times
Quote:
Question: If California high tech industries, and many others doing so great in California, why have the number of STEM jobs declined over the past 10 years, at a time they are growing in most other states? STEM jobs are the background of the economy in a state and becoming more important all the time.

Question: If California was doing so great, why are they spending 1/3rd of all poverty money in the nation which is completely out of reason when figured on a per capita basis. That is hundreds percent higher than would be expected for a state with the population of California. In other words, 1/16th of the nations population, but spending 1/3rd of the whole countries poverty funds.

Question: If California was doing so great, why is the unemployment rate so high? For every STEM job created it effects about 6 other lower range jobs by increasing the demand for other goods and services.

Question: If California was doing so great, why are their schools seeing so few kids able to pass their 8th grade tests, to evaluate how well the school system is working, and why is the dropout rate so high?

Question: If California was doing so great, why do they have the terrible budget problem they have, and why do they have to keep raising taxes and still not catching up? Montana, has a balanced budget, not a terrible deficit as an example.

Until some of the people in California take off their rose colored glasses and look at the facts, the state will continue to decline before their eyes.
These questions are not part of this discussion because, we have said that "we think CA is great". Not that "CA is doing so great". Well most of us have anyway. I for one have said several times now that I have considered relocating to another state. Not because I hate the state and am "fleeing" as so many like to say. I recognize that there are other opportunities out there.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:55 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 7,779,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well I will accept your graciously backing out of this one.
BTW it is not backing out. I just don't have the information and I will not be the type who spreads misinformation.

BTW did you know that they are HQ in Scottsdale, AZ?

There are a lot of .com companies HQ in other states but have some offices here. /shrug

Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 PM

8,038 posts, read 7,544,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
TVC...oldtrader likes to cite a bogus link that claims something about 5 companies leaving CA each week. He was called out on it. There are no companies leaving California. Maybe some that expand elsewhere but there are no legitimate links or otherwise that support this (unless you cite Newgeography or Fox News crap)
That's a bold claim. NO companies leaving?

Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
BTW it is not backing out. I just don't have the information and I will not be the type who spreads misinformation.

BTW did you know that they are HQ in Scottsdale, AZ?

There are a lot of .com companies HQ in other states but have some offices here. /shrug
You're saving face. What are you an infant? Didn't I say Arizona based Go-Daddy???

Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,244,353 times
Quote:
Question: If California high tech industries, and many others doing so great in California, why have the number of STEM jobs declined over the past 10 years, at a time they are growing in most other states? STEM jobs are the background of the economy in a state and becoming more important all the time.

Question: If California was doing so great, why are they spending 1/3rd of all poverty money in the nation which is completely out of reason when figured on a per capita basis. That is hundreds percent higher than would be expected for a state with the population of California. In other words, 1/16th of the nations population, but spending 1/3rd of the whole countries poverty funds.

Question: If California was doing so great, why is the unemployment rate so high? For every STEM job created it effects about 6 other lower range jobs by increasing the demand for other goods and services.

Question: If California was doing so great, why are their schools seeing so few kids able to pass their 8th grade tests, to evaluate how well the school system is working, and why is the dropout rate so high?

Question: If California was doing so great, why do they have the terrible budget problem they have, and why do they have to keep raising taxes and still not catching up? Montana, has a balanced budget, not a terrible deficit as an example.

Until some of the people in California take off their rose colored glasses and look at the facts, the state will continue to decline before their eyes.
Answer: It's generally a bad economy. Remember when it was good and we had a budget surplus in 1999 or 2000? It can turn around and usually does.

Were you saying all this at the height of stagflation in 1979? How about 1992, did you run around "the sky is falling" or did ya just continue working and doing your best?

Schools are a local control issue. Clovis Unified is excellent though.

Wild Turkey Surprise Bugs Bunny and Taz Full Clip HD - YouTube

Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM

444 posts, read 455,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
That's a bold claim. NO companies leaving?
Not the exaggerated figures claimed by some of these people. Any company anywhere will leave a place but there is NO CA exodus that others claim. Give me a link about a company leaving CA later than this.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
TVC...oldtrader likes to cite a bogus link that claims something about 5 companies leaving CA each week. He was called out on it. There are no companies leaving California. Maybe some that expand elsewhere but there are no legitimate links or otherwise that support this (unless you cite Newgeography or Fox News crap)
I will not attack his efforts...he has posted some very legitimate links.

I like CA. As a matter of fact I like all the States in the US. There is not one State that I feel hate for.

With that being said I am aware of CA's issues and then some. They are real and this state is not going to recover until the voters wake up and start educating themselves about the issues plaguing the state and figure out a smart way to fix them.

OK so according to this news link the Census Bureau claims that more people left CA in 2011 than moved in.

California's Population Is Moving Out, Census Report Shows | NBC Southern California

So now lets grab the data from the US Census Bureau and see if this pans out.

Well I tried but the link appears to not be working this evening. I will try later.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You're saving face. What are you an infant? Didn't I say Arizona based Go-Daddy???
Yes I am an infant that can type and do all sorts of magical things! Are you sure you are as logical as you claim to be?

I just did not pay close attention to every single word in your post...that's all. It will be OK.

Too bad you can't find other ways to feel better then to hurl childish insults at posters.

But whatever get's you through the night...

Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Yes I am an infant that can type and do all sorts of magical things! Are you sure you are as logical as you claim to be?

I just did not pay close attention to every single word in your post...that's all. It will be OK.

Too bad you can't find other ways to feel better then to hurl childish insults at posters.
Only when they behave as such. Anyway, you are not able to answer anything and now you and I are just going back and forth at each other so I leave you be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California