Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
*sigh*
No. If you had been paying attention you'd know that.

People in CA are defending their state,
Some of these Texans are pretty sensitive.

Apparently I attacked Texas by saying that there's irrigation going on in Texas.

And saying Boise reminded me of Fort Worth (floating down the Boise River, which was one of my views of Boise looks like the picture slo posted, so sue me....)

I also said it looked ok flying over. Anyone have any issue with that?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I guess you misunderstood what I was saying: politically I completely agree with you, I was thinking more culturally and socially. There is nothing that can upset a person much more than when people come from other areas, decide to bring their ideas and customs with them and expect people to see it their way. CA does need to re-examine their politics and swing somewhat back.
No joke about having to re-examine their politics.

I have no customs from TX even when I lived there other than eating yummy TX BBQ and yummy TX Mex. Other than that I never owned a 10 gallon hat nor cowgirl boots. I don't say ya'll and I don't even have a TX accent. Most people that grew up in Houston don't have a TX accent. Now if I had grown up in Dallas, West or East TX that would be another story. I would sound like Ellie May Clampett and not that there is anything wrong with that!

I fit in just fine here

Last edited by TVC15; 02-07-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
No joke about having to re-examine their politics.

I have no customs from TX even when I lived there other than eating yummy TX BBQ and yummy TX Mex. Other than that I never owned a 10 gallon hat nor cowgirl boots. I don't say ya'll and I don't even had a TX accent. Most people that grew up in Houston don't have a TX accent. Now if I had grown up in Dallas, West or East TX that would be another story. I would sound like Ellie May Clampett and not that there is anything wrong with that!

I fit in just fine here
You mean I ain't been correspondin with a scientist that's a San Francisco 49er girl or Raiderette on the side? Shucks.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post

Apparently I attacked Texas by saying that there's irrigation going on in Texas.

And saying Boise reminded me of Fort Worth (floating down the Boise River, which was one of my views of Boise looks like the picture slo posted, so sue me....)

The thing is, it's really not too many Texans. It's the Texas sympathizers at this point. A couple who live in neither state.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The thing is, it's really not too many Texans. It's the Texas sympathizers at this point. A couple who live in neither state.
SLO seems to be a transplant to Texas from the central coast. /shrug

Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
California is always going to have huge natural advantages over Texas: climate, natural beauty, proximity to the Pacific Ocean (which by default makes us a trade hub with East Asia)

We also have long-term advantages that won't go away anytime soon, namely better universities, world-leading tech and entertainment industries that attract the best and brightest from around the world

But I think Perry's radio message should be yet another wake up call. This state is suffocating businesses, the working class, the middle class, and now even the rich with high taxes (marginal rates are now above 50%, when you add up federal and state), tons of regulation, restrictive development policies that inflate property values, huge gov't pensions and accumulated paid leave, and prop 13's unfair method of assessing property tax. If we don't resolve this slew of poor policies, then we're in for a long steady decline
I agree as to CEQA reform and splitting rolls for Prop 13 purposes, but that’s about it. We can’t understand how we got here by ignoring the damage of 35 years’ worth of politically-incentivized legislative gridlock which limited the state’s ability to raise revenue to the variability of income taxes. Only very recently have the voters effectively excised that gridlock. Then there was the triple whammy of Enron and tech and housing bubbles, the effects of which were felt most acutely here. Of course, responded to that by installing an Austrian strongman who accelerated the imminent fiscal crises with unfunded tax cuts. Using Texas a point of comparison is worse than useless when discussing CA’s financial climate, including the states’ respective regulatory burdens. Many people are drawn CA for its natural environment, whereas part of TX’s appeal to business is the state’s eagerness to be used as a toilet, and it leads the nation in per capita subsidy to lure business to do even that much. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/us...anted=all&_r=0

Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:

And saying Boise reminded me of Fort Worth.

Senno some are just trying to clear up the misconceptions. That's all. There is a lot of them. I was totally shocked when I moved here at some of the things people would ask me about TX . It actually was pretty amusing to see how humbled they became after realizing they had grown up all of their life completely in the dark about TX. Or that they were stuck back in the "Old Sparky" days.

Anyway here is a bit about TX agriculture. Most of the land is for cattle ranching.

Agriculture | Texas Almanac

Old 02-07-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
You mean I ain't been correspondin with a scientist that's a San Francisco 49er girl or Raiderette on the side? Shucks.
You have been! And I am a 49er girl for sure!

Zoom Zoom

Old 02-07-2013, 12:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:

Zoom Zoom
49er girl? Ok, have some respect for you now

Old 02-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Senno some are just trying to clear up the misconceptions. That's all. There is a lot of them. I was totally shocked when I moved here at some of the things people would ask me about TX . It actually was pretty amusing to see how humbled they became after realizing they had grown up all of their life completely in the dark about TX. Or that they were stuck back in the "Old Sparky" days.

Anyway here is a bit about TX agriculture. Most of the land is for cattle ranching.

Agriculture | Texas Almanac
I know ya all raise some cattle. Once my grandpa shipped some hay down from Idaho to Texas during a drought. Kept some cattle alive for awhile.

I did notice some herds flying over, as well. /shrug

Quote:

Zoom Zoom
Wowzers. You must be one fit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California