Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM

437 posts, read 925,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
This is a really bad analysis. Dirt cheap labor? Um, COL anybody? Sorry, did that just undercut one of your key points? Oh and with such lowly institutions like UT Austin, Texas A&M, and Baylor (all tier one universities), I mean what good could ever come out of Texas, right?

Poor environmental regulations, yeah I'm pretty that you have no idea what you're talking about. Being more business friendly doesn't mean cesspool living conditions, sorry to burst your bubble. I realize this is a popular sentiment, but one not founded in facts. Clearly California's excessive environmental regulations have helped our bottom line, right?

The rest of your post consists of you talking completely out of your ass. Perhaps instead of posting bigoted nonsense, you could dare to journey away from your computer screen and travel a bit, perhaps a visit to (wait for it) Texas! That way you'll actually know what you're talking about so that you can start being taken seriously in a discussion.
Good post. Except that Baylor is not a Tier One University. However, Rice is.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:10 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times
The more things that change the more they stay the same huh?
Greetings all. Taking a break from paradise to post a little....

A question I have.. What's with the retort about 'innovation' and California? Do common people who have nothing to do w/ this sector not know the history of Calif's now burgeoning tech scene? Here, educate yourself :

Summary : Calif's tech scene derived from War/defense spending by the US govt... From there, offshoot ventures came to be as well as subsequent VC funding for private endeavors.
Calif. thus has momentum in this area and anyone who has a knowledge of history or picks up a newspaper understands how that fades.. how this sector is global and all over the U.S. Vmware,intel,amd,ati,HP,zynga,fb,google.. you name it are all over the U.S and world and there is just as much talent/innovation occurring in austin as there is in mountain view.. sanfran, boxborough, shanghai, bangalore... Physical location doesn't mean crap for innovation.

One of my latest trades : http://www.opko.com/ .. innovators.. miami..
innovative people innovate everywhere..

The creation and platform for Calif.'s 'innovation' sector and one of the biggest contributors to its tax base and much of the retort that people like to spew has nothing to do w/ California .. even its weather... Further has nothing to do w/ how horribly ran its govt. is and has much to do with the federal govt...

Further, having never been educated in California much like most of my friends from some of the top Universities in the U.S that are not in Calif., I'm confused where people get off claiming me and others as some selfish/over-prideful part of California Innovation. Again, such commentary reminds me of how little such people who make such comments know about the tech sector and innovation sectors that are global in nature and source people from all over.. I'd love to know who here works in such sectors who are making these comments. I'll take a guess that most of you don't.

As I mentioned some time ago, besides working in the sector, I have tie ins w/ many in it.. There are many companies .. Coming from the top CEO/CTO and executives who continue to express that talent is global as is innovation. People in the sector are anything but bought on some 'fanboy' concept that Calif. is the end all of innovation. Innovative people are everywhere and live everywhere and in a global economy you have to be everywhere.

I'll post some more on this thread but that's what I have to say on this particular point.

P.S -If you failed to get the memo, there is incredible growth occuring in several non-california tech hubs throughout the U.S.

Like Calif's famed silicon valley, it is having its start and will take time to grow. The same goes for other places is it not? And what's this obsession/greed with trying to claim everything as Calif.? We live in a country known as the US do we not? If companies can move to another location where labor is cheaper and hire more people.. give people a better quality of life, that's a great thing for this country. As several CEOs have noted, VMware's being one of them .. they have to continue to seek lower cost centers in the U.S .. They froze hiring in Calif. while increasing hiring in lower cost centers in the U.S.. It was a smart move for the company and benefits those it employs.
otherwise, you'll see this more frequently :
http://redmondmag.com/articles/2013/...s-layoffs.aspx

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 02-06-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr2005 View Post
Good post. Except that Baylor is not a Tier One University.
Except that it is.

You'll pardon me if I left out Rice, but I do my best to ignore all things Houston related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
People in the sector are anything but bought on some 'fanboy' concept that Calif. is the end all of innovation. Innovative people are everywhere and live everywhere and in a global economy you have to be everywhere.
Oh come now, don't you realize without California that America would be worse off than Uganda?

Last edited by ZhugeLiang; 02-06-2013 at 02:38 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahthatguy;
People in the sector are anything but bought on some 'fanboy' concept that Calif. is the end all of innovation. Innovative people are everywhere and live everywhere and in a global economy you have to be everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post

Oh come now, don't you realize without California that America would be worse off than Ugnada?
LMFAO. I see what you did there .

But yeah, your sarcastic humorous commentary above is sadly an actual serious thought in the minds of prideful simpletons. Thankfully, the real innovators and actual people in such sectors aren't, by definition, such small minded and notice the amazing people all over the world capable of contributing to the advancement of the human race.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 PM

437 posts, read 925,145 times
[quote=ZhugeLiang;28123198]Except that it is.

Not according to the Association of American Universities. Association of American Universities

Where did you get your info? Looks like Texas Tech and University of Houston are soon to reach Tier One status.
Tech and U. of Houston Qualify for Tier-One Prize Money | The Texas Tribune

And I totally "get" your Houston aversion.

Last edited by rr2005; 02-06-2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Good post! Jerry Brown, no matter how crazy he comes off sometimes has a good point. If there was nothing valuable in California there would be no need to come and lure businesses away. There are numerous states I would rather relocate to then Texas anyways.
There are lots of states I would rather re-locate to as well, but don't put Texas down or overlook, way before Jerry Brown or Rick Perry, companies started locating from Ca and NY to Texas. How about General Telephone, AA, Penny's, for starters. Even Hilton Hotels reservations center closed all their regional offices, including NYC and Los Angeles to locate to Dallas. I am talking about companies that choose Dallas, I don't know how many more went to Houston.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
The 83rd biggest city in the U.S. Named after Thomas S. Lubbock, a former Texas Ranger and a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Recently named one of the top 20 best-run cities in the United States by the Wall Street Journal. Home to some damn fine people.

Wanna take a shot at explaining to me that an "Anaheim" is not actually a condition that would require medical attention?
Well the ending tells an educated person that German is involved. Quite likely a proper name of some sort.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Except that it is.

Not according to the Association of American Universities. Association of American Universities

Where did you get your info? Looks like Texas Tech and University of Houston are soon to be reach Tier One status.
Quick question.. Did you go to a Tier 1 University? Because I did.. and it was not in California. None of my education was...
I was educated in a state K-12 that has far less taxes than Calif... Yet, I was provided with a quality education that allowed me to easily get accepted into several top Tier1 institutions...

...and the state my University is in pales in comparison to Calif's economy and spends nothing like Calif's does but that's changing as innovative people continue to increasingly stay and move there.

Point? The way Calif. does things is just the way calif. does things.. Its a big world outside Calif.'s borders. Small minded people seem to forget that but then again they aren't the innovators who understand and take advantage of talent all over the u.s and world.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There are lots of states I would rather re-locate to as well, but don't put Texas down or overlook, way before Jerry Brown or Rick Perry, companies started locating from Ca and NY to Texas. How about General Telephone, AA, Penny's, for starters. Even Hilton Hotels reservations center closed all their regional offices, including NYC and Los Angeles to locate to Dallas. I am talking about companies that choose Dallas, I don't know how many more went to Houston.
Almost every established tech/innovative company has offices in Texas as well.
Global companies are everywhere as is talent.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
Texas is like China...only thing they bring to the table is dirt cheap labor, poor environmental regulations and standard of living. They both have zero innovation or creativity of their own and only know how to steal jobs from other countries/ states.
Really, how many times have you been to Texas and have you ever lived there? The two things Ca has over Texas are natural beauty and decent weather. The standard of living in the metro cities is every bit as good as anyplace in Ca. Ca has areas of poverty in case you didn't know and not every region has a high standard of living or offer quality life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California