U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM
 
9 posts, read 24,845 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

kids are going to college soon. wife and i are planning on moving to Ca to retire in 4yrs. school district does not matter too much. don't want to live in the city but has to be within 1hr drive to authentic chinese food and market. i like a big lot (1acre plus) for gardening so mild temperature in southern Ca is a plus. like newer houses but reasonable price ($500k to 1mil). like to have a good view. i like to buy "good deals" meaning i will take a $1m house that was $2mil over a $500k house that was $400k in 2007. i know it's impossible to narrow down base on these info but some suggestion would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,784 posts, read 23,803,102 times
Reputation: 6195
I'd probably start by looking around the Escondido area, north of San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,699 posts, read 2,975,885 times
Reputation: 4818
Lots of nice places to retire in California.

Near LA, I'd say Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, westside of Palmdale or Lancaster.

Near Riverside, I'd say Temecula, Murrieta or Riverside itself.

Near San Bernardino, Rancho Cucamonga or Chino Hills are good.

Lots of good Asian cuisine all over Southern California.

Palm Springs and Palm Desert are a little too far out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM
 
Location: A little corner of paradise
689 posts, read 1,238,006 times
Reputation: 1226
For what your looking at space-wise, I'd look in the Redlands area. Or even Banning or Beaumont. Redlands is about an hour outside of LA, and you can still get some acreage, and the weather to garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 11,431,560 times
Reputation: 12307
Fillmore, 8 acres and a house, and a whole farm $679K

660 W Guiberson Rd Fillmore CA - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #12016270 - Realtor.com®
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Go West young man...
409 posts, read 773,081 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdht2 View Post
kids are going to college soon. wife and i are planning on moving to Ca to retire in 4yrs. school district does not matter too much. don't want to live in the city but has to be within 1hr drive to authentic chinese food and market. i like a big lot (1acre plus) for gardening so mild temperature in southern Ca is a plus. like newer houses but reasonable price ($500k to 1mil). like to have a good view. i like to buy "good deals" meaning i will take a $1m house that was $2mil over a $500k house that was $400k in 2007. i know it's impossible to narrow down base on these info but some suggestion would be appreciated.
SoCal includes areas from the coasts to the desert which means temps will vary widely. Some of the suggestions posted are well within your budget including a house with acreage. However, the temps will be hot in the summer and the air quality suffers. I'd check out the crime data too.

Camarillo has some excellent weather. You may be able to find a house just south of 1 million although 1 plus acre for less than a million will likely result in an older home. You might be able to get a bit of a view as well.

2343 JEFFREY Rd, Camarillo, CA 93012 | MLS# 12014816 | Redfin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 AM
 
9 posts, read 24,845 times
Reputation: 15
thanks guys for all of the wonderful info. refin here i come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 05:29 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,080,549 times
Reputation: 6825
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Lots of nice places to retire in California.

Near LA, I'd say Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks, westside of Palmdale or Lancaster.

Near Riverside, I'd say Temecula, Murrieta or Riverside itself.

Near San Bernardino, Rancho Cucamonga or Chino Hills are good.

Lots of good Asian cuisine all over Southern California.

Palm Springs and Palm Desert are a little too far out.
Different strokes but I wouldn't consider any of those as attractive places to live or retire to. There's nothng mild temperatured about them in the summer. My options would include:

Carmel Valley
Central coast around San Luis Obispo
Santa Rosa
Napa/Sonoma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 AM
 
9 posts, read 24,845 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Different strokes but I wouldn't consider any of those as attractive places to live or retire to. There's nothng mild temperatured about them in the summer. My options would include:

Carmel Valley
Central coast around San Luis Obispo
Santa Rosa
Napa/Sonoma
those are indeed very nice places to live and garden but i also like to live closer to a big city for the weekend trips. my budget is probably not enough for napa/sonoma. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,080,549 times
Reputation: 6825
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdht2 View Post
those are indeed very nice places to live and garden but i also like to live closer to a big city for the weekend trips. my budget is probably not enough for napa/sonoma. thanks
Just curious what you see yourslf doing in a big city on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top