Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,765,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Here is a factoid for you. Painting every roof in America white or silver will save more energy than America could get from the oil in ANWR

And in the winter it would cost even more to warm the house. You either pay in the winter or pay in the summer, unless you know of a way to change the color of the roof tiles with the season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,671,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
And in the winter it would cost even more to warm the house. You either pay in the winter or pay in the summer, unless you know of a way to change the color of the roof tiles with the season?
Repaint!

I find my bill is reduced in the winter enough that painting the old roof white might work to mitigate the summer heat. If I get to cold in Fresno (which ain't cold btw, I'm in shorts with the heat off) I can put on a sweater.

Or you can try out these roofing material types:

Spray Foam Roofing, Roof Coatings and Reflective Coatings - Spray Foam Information Directory - SprayFoam.com

Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM

21,564 posts, read 16,058,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
There are few things if any more important than dollars to those who are in need, maybe even desperate need of being offered an employment opportunity to support themselves and their dependents/loved-ones. I know, I've been there.
So perhaps you shouldn't be so inconsiderate and selfish as to deny them an opportunity just because it's
something that's of no interest to yourself ? After all there's a lot of men & women, especially the young members of our military coming home who served in the Mideast who are very much in need of jobs.
And with the President's announcement in his state of the union address this week, we know there will be
many more tens of thousands (thank goodness !), coming home soon looking for civilian jobs.
Short-term employment solutions for a handful at the expense of safe water for the general population. Good call.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:45 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,623,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You don't understand the physics. Or the entropy has Reason42 might put it. In the winter the sun is low in the sky and very little solar gain is available to heat your roof, no matter what color you paint it. If you live in snow country the color of your roof is irrelevant as if your home is properly insulated you have snow on it all winter.

When we lived in snow country, the weather would turn cold by the end of October, but the deep snow would not come til about Christmas. We would burn half our wood supply by Christmas. Once the deep snow came and insulated our home at ground and on roof, we did not need to burn nearly as much wood.
The following is not our home, but, shows a well insulated roof, course being a log home the wall insulation sucks.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,671,369 times
Whoo whee. Skip the snow and just foam the roof.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,623,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Whoo whee. Skip the snow and just foam the roof.
Life is too short to live on flat ground

Old 02-16-2013, 12:55 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,760,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

Me: Like the bullet train? There's an example of California's vision! How many billions of dollars for a train from Madera to Fresno?

.highnlite - What ever that has to do with the price of milk in Denmark.

ME: It is you who called oil a "century old technology, if you recall. I suspect a fair share of the anit energy, anti car folks are pro bullet train, which is based on a technology 200 years old.

Me: Like it or not, cheap energy is not only the key to growth and employment, but it also will keep us out of these never ending Middle East wars. Like it or not, neither wind nor solar makes economic sense. Without huge government (aka taxpayer funded) subsidies no one would buy solar or wind. The anti new energy crowd doesnt want us to drive, doesnt want us to heat our homes in winter nor cool them in summer, and wants businesses to continue to move out of the state. (check out this chart from How Money Walks HERE)

Me: did you look at the chart. Does it concern you that California is losing income and tax revenue as people leave? Or are you one of those people who thinks that all we have to do is raise taxes on "the rich", gasoline, sales of goods, etc? All of which hurt the poor the most, but after all, maybe those smelly poor would also leave the state, leaving it for the elitists who moved here from New York and Minnesota and Michigan over the years.

.highnlite - "anti energy" This is some new rightwing whacko mantra? Burning carbon based fuels is not a good thing, might as well get off of it, and we can do that, and create jobs.

Me: I coined the term all by myself. Pretty smart one, aint I?

.highnlite - You don't need to burn carbon based fuels to heat or cool or electrify your house. As for businesses moving out of state, it is a separate issue, but, I don't see a downside to that.

Me: Yeah we could burn wood, something the eviro folks pushed in the 60's and 70's, which led to a lot of air pollution. I guess the best thing would be to build underground about 20 feet which would result in a year round constant temp. Bet the enviro folk would obnject to that as well. Get real. As for your being happy with businesses leaving, how sad. Businesses hire people. Dont tell me you are a state employee and believe that bigger and more intrusive government is the be all and end all and The Answer to Life, The Universe, And Everything!

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Me: Oh wait, that's right, solar and wind! How could I forget. It's cheaper than oil and gas. Oh wait, all those subsidies from The Government. Cant wait to drive my windmill powered car from her to there.[/color]

.highnlite - Here is a factoid for you. Painting every roof in America white or silver will save more energy than America could get from the oil in ANWR

ME: Paint is a petrochemical product. We still need oil to produce it.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:39 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,764,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

Dont tell me you are a state employee and believe that bigger and more intrusive government is the be all and end all and The Answer to Life, The Universe, And Everything!
The Government.
Uh oh, veering into teabagville, here? You can tell when the capital letters start appearing.

Ease upchuck: The Black Helicopters haven't taken off yet. The liberal commie enviros stole their gas.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,833,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Uh oh, veering into teabagville, here? You can tell when the capital letters start appearing.

Ease upchuck: The Black Helicopters haven't taken off yet. The liberal commie enviros stole their gas.
You're killin me here ... and the button's stuck ... good thing I'm not drinking anything I wouldn't want coming out my nose ...

Old 02-16-2013, 03:28 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,760,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post

Cannot argue on merit? So the name calling begins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California