Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 PM

241 posts, read 710,932 times

Advertisements

I moved from the Bay Area to Huntington Beach last month after considering job offers in other areas of California including Santa Barbara.

My visit to Santa Barbara was my first and I fell in love with the area (what I saw of it) right away. I love the size, the architecture, the walkability, the beautiful coast.

I took the job in HB after also visiting briefly for the first time -- the decision was based on cost of living, income and location. I figured how bad can it be living by the beach in OC? Now I am thinking that maybe I could have made a better decision.

The clinic that offered me a job in Santa Barbara back in December has contacted me again -- to my surprise they have yet to fill the position and are still interested in me.

I'm 41, single/male, no kids and recently out of a 5 year relationship (6 months out). For the past 2 years I have been moving quite a bit and would like to find a job/area to stay long term -- buy a house, etc.

Income in SB is/would be in negotiation but would likely be around 110-120k and MAY get up to 150k in a few years, but it is fairly uncertain (depends on how busy the clinic gets there and there is no way of predicting the future). I know this sounds like a decent income, but in CA taxes eat up a fair %age and SB has a very high cost of living (housing). In comparison, I was making 200k in the Bay Area and am making 150k in HB which will likely become 180-200k within 1-2 years. I love the clinic and the people there (from what I can tell after meeting for 2 days in Dec).

I live a simple lifestyle, but want to finally own a home with a small yard, get a dog again...and I like to travel now and then. The smaller town feel of SB is also appealing to me. I have seen some small (700-900sqft) cottage homes on Zillow for 450-600k in SB which would be perfect for me but I'm not certain how often these types of places are available. Ideally, living somewhere that I would not want to travel away from frequently would be nice. I used to love the outdoors and still do, but have gotten away from hiking, biking and camping over the past 2 years since I put my dog to sleep...also due to frequent moves recently.

Money isn't my primary focus in life, but the security it provides is important to me as I don't have any family to rely on if times are tough financially, etc. I feel a bit lost at this time and think that living somewhere so close to the coast and mountains/nature could get me back on track and could be a place that I could call home after moving around a lot. The weather is perfect for me (I'm Canadian and Californians should really not be allowed to ever use the word cold in relation to weather).

Dating is a bit of a concern -- SB obviously has a much smaller population than OC. I'm a fairly attractive/fit guy (most people think I'm 35) and am not really into dating multiple people (although I've had my moments)...like most people, I would like to find someone fun/attractive to spend some free time with (female in case I need to specify). Also, like most people these days I tend to meet women online.

Long rant...I plan on visiting SB a couple of times over the next month and seeing what I think after that, but I don't want to regret passing-up a good lifestyle opportunity (again). Thoughts on all of the above on 110-120k/yr while saving for retirement, etc. I have roughly 50k in savings and zero debt, car paid off, etc. and would really like to settle somewhere and buy a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,672,432 times
Thanks for putting the debate in your head on the web I guess.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 PM

My head made my body do it.

YW

Old 02-15-2013, 11:19 PM

596 posts, read 977,445 times
You have the luxury of following your gut feelings. If you married a woman from Huntington Beach and she said that she was not willing to move to Santa Barbara (due to her friends/family/job, etc.) how would you feel? On the other hand what if you lived in Santa Barbara and your wife (Santa Barbara native) told you that she would not move to Huntington Beach? In other words if you were "stuck" somewhere, where would you want to be?

Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 PM

30,853 posts, read 36,738,377 times
I have never lived in either place but have visited both...so take this for what it's worth. I think SB is the nicer overall everyday quality of life (less traffic, smog, daily grind, more beautiful scenery...although HB is certainly not bad!). But then housing costs there are just as high or higher than HB. Incomes are lower. The dating pool is smaller (although that's not always bad either as long as it's not too small. Too many choices can cause people to vacillate more than necessary).

Maybe you need to make a points system for all of the factors most important to you. Tally them up for each city and see what you get. Of course, the unknowns are relating to how you'd like your coworkers/general job in a position in SB vs. the one you have in HB..where you already said the coworkers are nice (a big plus!).

Old 02-16-2013, 12:06 AM

Coworkers seemed nice in SB (is what I was referencing), but they are nice in HB as well. Overall, I think I would have a bit more job satisfaction (excluding money from the equation) in SB. If the money were equal or even close to equal, I would pack-up and go to SB for certain...even though it would mean another move after just moving a month ago

I guess that I'm trying to determine how much more I would enjoy SB long-term vs HB and how much I should allow money to determine where I spend the next 5-20 years of my life. I mean, 120k is not a bad income, but SB is a very expensive place to live.

All I can say is that I was immediately impressed by everything in SB and HB is hit and miss for me. Both locations were completely new to me at the times of my initial interviews.

I think my plan is to visit SB for a few days a couple times during my days off and see if it is what I think it is and go from there. I will definitely never make the money in SB that I will in OC, but it is just a matter of determining how much is enough to live how I want. More is always nice, but maybe is not needed to be happy.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pito_Chueco View Post
You have the luxury of following your gut feelings. If you married a woman from Huntington Beach and she said that she was not willing to move to Santa Barbara (due to her friends/family/job, etc.) how would you feel? On the other hand what if you lived in Santa Barbara and your wife (Santa Barbara native) told you that she would not move to Huntington Beach? In other words if you were "stuck" somewhere, where would you want to be?
EEk..now I have to get married?

I think I would rather be stuck in SB...if I KNEW then I would know

Old 02-16-2013, 02:05 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,017,946 times
I'm a SWF in my 30s just out of a 7-year relationship and was also debating between HB and SB. I ultimately picked HB due to proximity to a larger group of singles and mingling / social / volunteering / employment options.

SB seems to have a larger married population (which makes for great friends, but not great for dating) and is also a much smaller job market (which wouldn't impact you if you take the job you have lined up, but should you eventually want to leave there, your options might be more limited than in a larger area like OC).

SB is still on my radar for a future location, once I settle down with Mr. Right and we're house hunting. Good luck with whichever you decide.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:14 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,703,933 times
Huntington Beach is more conservative, more families, more suburbanized, more closer to other large cities.

Santa Barbara is more liberal, more retirees and college students, less suburbanized and more urbanized near downtown, and not near any other large cities.

I think Huntington Beach is cheaper and more jobs in the OC area.

Santa Barbara is way more beautiful in my opinion with their Spanish styled downtown and the huge mission and the beach and great hiking trails. Not to mention some nice ranches in Goleta.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I'm a SWF in my 30s just out of a 7-year relationship and was also debating between HB and SB. I ultimately picked HB due to proximity to a larger group of singles and mingling / social / volunteering / employment options.

SB seems to have a larger married population (which makes for great friends, but not great for dating) and is also a much smaller job market (which wouldn't impact you if you take the job you have lined up, but should you eventually want to leave there, your options might be more limited than in a larger area like OC).

SB is still on my radar for a future location, once I settle down with Mr. Right and we're house hunting. Good luck with whichever you decide.
What part of your 30s? I may have a solution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California