Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 01:24 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The "State of Jefferson" is bull****. NorCal's economic and cultural engine is SF and , to some extent, Sacramento.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I agree with that too!
That economic engine is pretty darn weak in the middle between Portland and SF/Sac. This is where all that "self identity" crap comes into play.
Lest we forget, the SOJ also includes Southern Oregon, in fact, about 4 out of 5 of the proposed state now reside there. Medford, Ashland, Grants Pass, Klamath Falls, are just a few of the population centers, it is not just Redding and Chico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I think that the San Francisco area is most like Boston.

Once leaving the Bay Area I think the rest of Northern California is more like Oregon or Washington than like the Los Angeles, Orange County or San Diego metros

Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
If I answered this 30 years ago I would have said yes.

Today I say the SoCal has more in common with Cascadia (aka "Ecotopia").

The Callenbachian Movement really started to get legs in SoCal during the latter half of the 80s and came to full fruition during the 90s.

So now the whole freakin' West Coast is thumping the Green "Bible."

Old 02-28-2013, 03:13 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Many will disagree with this opinion, but have long believed that NorCal does not begin until one is in the mythical State of Jefferson. This means that Sacramento and Santa Rosa are extensions and part of the Bay Area and not part of Northern California, but that when you get to Chico or Ukiah you are finally there. It is nearly 300 miles from Sacramento to the Oregon border, something not usually considered, and that is a lot of territory.
Not so sure about your earlier political assessment of S.F. (which I don't really consider ''NorCal'' either), but agreed re: the rest, though technically the State of Jefferson really starts around Yreka. And its a whole other world and culture whenever you start getting north of the Bay Area, where the geography, weather and relative population density all remain pretty consistent (both coastal and inland) for nearly 800 miles until you reach Puget Sound, with Portland as the only other major metro area along the way.

A side impression, but I swear that crossing into OR and WA thru the Siskiyous always feels "different" somehow, and especially the way the light definitely seems "bluer", "colder", and much less "golden" in those more northerly states... kinda like suddenly putting on blue-tinted shades!

Last edited by mateo45; 02-28-2013 at 03:24 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 04:49 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
A side impression, but I swear that crossing into OR and WA thru the Siskiyous always feels "different" somehow, and especially the way the light definitely seems "bluer", "colder", and much less "golden" in those more northerly states... kinda like suddenly putting on blue-tinted shades!
Odd, but have also noticed the same thing. For example, while driving up I-5, there would appear to be a very slight "different feel" between Medford and Yreka, just 50 miles apart.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:00 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Oxygen.....
All those trees up north...

It is hard for me to get used to the whitish sky in much of California...

Old 02-28-2013, 05:04 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I think that the San Francisco area is most like Boston.

Once leaving the Bay Area I think the rest of Northern California is more like Oregon or Washington than like the Los Angeles, Orange County or San Diego metros
Except for the northern San Joaquin Valley floor I basically agree.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:

Yeah, I can kind of see that. I-5 through Northern California is actually sort of arid. I think the two states probably would bleed together more closer to the coast.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:52 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
First of all, a sizable minority, including myself, do not consider the Bay Area to be part of Northern California, but rather North Central California, or just plain Bay Area, an insular area in itself. Second, on a political basis, the Bay Area has more affinity to Russia of the old Soviet Union than to any place in the USA. But to answer the question in the OP, the answer, if considering only the true Northern California, is yes.
The Bay Area is Northern Cal, aka, NorCal. It is not, nor ever will be Central California. If you spent any time in all regions of the Bay Area you will see they self-identify as Northern Californians, period. Even the mexicans gangs originally from San Jose (the Bay Area) call themselves Nortenos (Northerners).

NorCal is a long and wide region from Tahoe to Sacramento to San Francisco and from the Oregon Border to San Jose and Modesto.

Politically, Mendocino and Humboldt counties are as blue and liberal as the Bay Area.

It's like saying Los Angeles County is not really part of Southern Cal, rather it's a region unto itself, South Central California. Only Laguna Beach south to the mexican border is considered Southern Cal - NOT.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:17 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Default OMG, the dread ''NorCal/Cali/Sierra(s)'' debate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The Bay Area is Northern Cal, aka, NorCal. It is not, nor ever will be Central California. If you spent any time in all regions of the Bay Area you will see they self-identify as Northern Californians, period. Even the mexicans gangs originally from San Jose (the Bay Area) call themselves Nortenos (Northerners).

NorCal is a long and wide region from Tahoe to Sacramento to San Francisco and from the Oregon Border to San Jose and Modesto.

Politically, Mendocino and Humboldt counties are as blue and liberal as the Bay Area.

It's like saying Los Angeles County is not really part of Southern Cal, rather it's a region unto itself, South Central California. Only Laguna Beach south to the mexican border is considered Southern Cal - NOT.
Sorta like some folks think Taco Bell is "real Mexican Food"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California