Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 AM

159 posts, read 646,130 times

Advertisements

Nothing can quite replicate everything that CA has to offer of course. But I'm trying to research other cities with maybe the possibility of moving out of the state, for cost of living reasons.

The two things I value most and equally are weather and racial dynamics. I suffer from some pretty rad allergies, so regions with distinct 4 seasons hit me pretty hard. I find the mediterranean climate of the Bay Area or SoCal to be the best, followed closely by desert climates (like Phoenix or Vegas). But if there are allergy sufferers that have been fine in other types of weather, I'd be interested in hearing.

My other priority is racial friendliness so to speak,as my wife and I are minorities (Asian). So I guess a larger more cosmopolitan city where we wouldn't face weird looks or discrimination would be great.

Outside of these two priorities my "wants" list gets pretty small. I guess a decent economy where I may be able to find a job fairly quickly may be another one, but I doubt I'll be moving anywhere without having a job lined up first anyways.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
If you like the San Francisco Area, I'd suggest Portland, Seattle or Bellevue.

If you like SoCal, I'd suggest parts of Florida such as Orlando, Palm Beach Gardens, or Boca Raton.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 PM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
I thought Austin, Texas had a pretty progressive feel to it and it "looks" like Southern California (except the weather, of course).

Old 02-27-2013, 02:17 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Austin's actually a bright spot of sanity in that festering sore that is Texas.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:53 AM

116 posts, read 377,624 times
Asheville, NC has some of that progressive NorCal feel to it.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I thought Austin, Texas had a pretty progressive feel to it and it "looks" like Southern California (except the weather, of course).
TVC says allergies are a problem for many in Austin... OP, may want to google "cedar allergies"

Possibly New Mexico?

Plenty of progressive "islands" across America... The mediterranean climate, is tough once you leave the west coast...!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:38 PM

159 posts, read 646,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
TVC says allergies are a problem for many in Austin... OP, may want to google "cedar allergies"

Possibly New Mexico?

Plenty of progressive "islands" across America... The mediterranean climate, is tough once you leave the west coast...!
Yea, that's a good point. I guess I'll just have to manage the allergies with medication or whatever. Been dealing with them as a child, so it is what it is I guess.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post

Possibly New Mexico?

I have some bad news for you, TT...

They consider trees in Texas a plague.

Cedar: The Plague of Trees

Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I have some bad news for you, TT...

They consider trees in Texas a plague.

Cedar: The Plague of Trees
I know you're joking, but Cedar is considered a plague because it takes over a lot of peoples land and is a nuisance. Other than that, we love trees as far as I can tell.

If I could not live in California or the major Texas metros, then I personally would consider Oregon.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
I know you're joking, but Cedar is considered a plague because it takes over a lot of peoples land and is a nuisance. Other than that, we love trees as far as I can tell.

If I could not live in California or the major Texas metros, then I personally would consider Oregon.
Y'all even have activists in Texas. That group is called People against Cedars, hehe.

But you do have your tree huggers as well and some bad luck with trees.

Texas drought killed 301 million trees - Houston Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: