U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM
 
880 posts, read 1,047,888 times
Reputation: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
That's what we're doing here... No sexist, racist, misogynist, anti-homosexual haters.

I have detected no re-writing of history at their school Leonard. Occasionally I hep em with their homework, as I'm on call babysitter sometimes if Grandpa's to busy. /shrug
Good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 AM
 
6,805 posts, read 4,046,016 times
Reputation: 1911
Setting my own schedule has it's advantages. /shrug

Make your case Leonard. Tell me what was immoral 40 years ago that is being taught in CA schools today? I was only 3 then...

Last edited by Senno; 02-28-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
5,891 posts, read 4,186,428 times
Reputation: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
The US and specifically border states like TX and CA need to attract middle class and above immigrants or do what Bill Gates is calling for. Everyone that graduates from a 4 year with a math or science degree gets automatic green card. Attract smart people that will earn good incomes hello! Not a bunch of lawn care, roofers, field hands, and housekeepers they are a net drain.
That's a bunch of baloney. Believe it or not, these working class folks DO pay taxes. Sales taxes, payroll taxes, and Social Security contributions that they won't get to benefit from when they're older, if undocumented.

They also use social services in a much lower extent than you think. Like health care - use it a lot less than they should. If they aren't documented, they aren't eligible for a lot of social services.

http://g92.org/find-answers/economics/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 AM
 
6,805 posts, read 4,046,016 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Diversity is great, as long as that means diverse ethnicities from middle class and above. People probably think I hate Hispanics not at all. My friend/homeowner and roommate was Hispanic. I am white and think some Hispanic women are attractive. Hell I don't want white trash living next to me in Denver Metro in the middle/upper middle class area I live in. Poverty=crime/social problems in the US.

The US and specifically border states like TX and CA need to attract middle class and above immigrants or do what Bill Gates is calling for. Everyone that graduates from a 4 year with a math or science degree gets automatic green card. Attract smart people that will earn good incomes hello! Not a bunch of lawn care, roofers, field hands, and housekeepers they are a net drain.
My neighbor across the street is a gardener and his daughter attends UC Merced pre-med. Thank you muchly.

You are just ignorant and that's being polite.

Wanna do your own lawn, reroof when needed, take your own harvest in, and clean the hotels you stay at yourself? I don't think so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 AM
 
1,933 posts, read 5,267,242 times
Reputation: 1189
California's school problems are primarily the result of a huge increase in poor people that don't speak english flooding the school system. Add to it that a lot of the families of these children do not stress education. People don't complain about an influx of Indians or Asians hurting schools because their parents put education first. Additionally, the California pension system is killing the ability to address any problem. All of that said, if you live in an affluent area, you probably have decent schools (albeit overcrowded because of pension and welfare driven budget problems). So California is largely become a place for affluent professionals (of various backgrounds) and low skilled immigrants. The people that are getting squeezed are middle class english speakers. I don't think California is a viable option for these folks, many former decent middle class areas are either becoming very expensive and gentrified into upper middle to upper class areas or becoming barrios with multiple families jamming into what once were single family homes. It's a sad situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM
 
1,933 posts, read 5,267,242 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's a bunch of baloney. Believe it or not, these working class folks DO pay taxes. Sales taxes, payroll taxes, and Social Security contributions that they won't get to benefit from when they're older, if undocumented.

They also use social services in a much lower extent than you think. Like health care - use it a lot less than they should. If they aren't documented, they aren't eligible for a lot of social services.

AREN
I love the fact that americans won't take certain low paying difficult jobs. Truth is, with welfare benefits, they don't have to. The welfare state has actually caused a "shortage" in low skilled workers that needs to be filled with illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
5,891 posts, read 4,186,428 times
Reputation: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
California's school problems are primarily the result of a huge increase in poor people that don't speak english flooding the school system. Add to it that a lot of the families of these children do not stress education. People don't complain about an influx of Indians or Asians hurting schools because their parents put education first. Additionally, the California pension system is killing the ability to address any problem. All of that said, if you live in an affluent area, you probably have decent schools (albeit overcrowded because of pension and welfare driven budget problems). So California is largely become a place for affluent professionals (of various backgrounds) and low skilled immigrants. The people that are getting squeezed are middle class english speakers. I don't think California is a viable option for these folks, many former decent middle class areas are either becoming very expensive and gentrified into upper middle to upper class areas or becoming barrios with multiple families jamming into what once were single family homes. It's a sad situation.

Number one, I think it's a gross generalization to claim that "poor people who are from ELL backgrounds don't care about education." Why don't you go talk to them? A lot of them do care but don't have the resources/support to have their kids make the best use of the system. A classic example of scapegoating and blaming the victim.

Number two, I live in an area with schools that have a lot of [high socio-economic demographic] East Asians (mostly Chinese) and Indians (btw, Indians ARE Asians) - and while they do have high API scores - attributable to the family high ed/high income, really - there are also a lot of grumbling from Caucasian parents about how competitive the school culture is, that their kids feel "out of place".

Number three - pension costs for state workers in California only account for 3% of the entire state budget. California pays today less a percentage of the state budget for pensions than it did in 1980.

The problem is that the state's political dynamics (legislative gridlock, 2/3 vote required to pass a budget) has resulted in a lot of fiscal flimflam actions to make things work. This includes just not complying with Prop 98 (guaranteeing a certain limit , and not funding the pension payments the state is contractually and legally obliged to do. This is a lose-lose situation - the schools get starved of funds they are legally entitled to have, and the pensions get shorted as well.

I agree there are a lot of problems with school funding and administration, but reciting myths and scapegoating certain groups is not the way to go about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM
 
Location: OC, CA
9,349 posts, read 11,059,208 times
Reputation: 8114
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That's a bunch of baloney. Believe it or not, these working class folks DO pay taxes. Sales taxes, payroll taxes, and Social Security contributions that they won't get to benefit from when they're older, if undocumented.

They also use social services in a much lower extent than you think. Like health care - use it a lot less than they should. If they aren't documented, they aren't eligible for a lot of social services.

AREN

You are dead wrong. I know illegals that bus tables in OC. They live in Santa Ana in house built for 4 with 8 in there and send their money via Western Union south of the border. The two brothers I know now have green cards, but they told me first hand in the 90's how they each paid $2,500 to $4000 to coyotes to smuggle them across.

Your uninformed post and denial of the truth is the reason I was hesitant to even post the truth. I have first hand knowledge I grew up in So Cal, I know people that were formally illegal so sell your nonsense somewhere else. Additionally I met with management from Western Union in the 90's to sell them some high tech equipment and guess what they said................most of their customers are people from south of the border . You really want to try and tell me they use less social services huh? http://www.cis.org/immigrant-welfare-use-2011

At least come up with some valid points if you are going to bash me instead of parroting what you seen on the news.

On the contrary I am objective and I understand why illegals do what they do. I don't blame them. If I grew up in some **** hole I would do the same. But I didn't. I am US citizen that needs to protect my interest and the interest of this country. In case you well educated folks haven't noticed the US is bankrupt and we don't need a bunch of low wage immigrants that are a net drain on the system. This isn't the days of Ellis Island in case some of you haven't noticed.

Last edited by Teckeeee; 02-28-2013 at 12:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
30,681 posts, read 47,878,259 times
Reputation: 13539
Sorry, but our schools are not that bad at all.

I have traveled to states where my relatives have moved to in search of things such as what they perceived to be better schools than California, and based on the feedback I have gotten from people in 13 states, I really dont believe that students in other states are more academically challenged than CA for the most part, in fact I might almost be inclined to say its the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
5,891 posts, read 4,186,428 times
Reputation: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
You are dead wrong. I know illegals that bus tables in OC. They live in Santa Ana in house built for 4 with 8 in there and send their money via Western Union south of the border. The two brothers I know now have green cards, but they told me first hand in the 90's how they each paid $2,500 to $4000 to coyotes to smuggle them across.

Your uninformed post and denial of the truth is the reason I was hesitant to even post the truth. I have first hand knowledge I grew up in So Cal, I know people that were formally illegal so sell your nonsense somewhere else. Additionally I met with management from Western Union in the 90's to sell them some high tech equipment and guess what they said................most of their customers are people from south of the border . You really want to try and tell me they use less social services huh? Welfare Use by Immigrant Households with Children | Center for Immigration Studies

At least come up with some valid points if you are going to bash me instead of parroting what you seen on the news.

On the contrary I am objective and I understand why illegals do what they do. I don't blame them. If I grew up in some **** hole I would do the same. But I didn't. I am US citizen that needs to protect my interest and the interest of this country. In case you well educated folks haven't noticed the US is bankrupt and we don't need a bunch of low wage immigrants that are a net drain on the system. This isn't the days of Ellis Island in case some of you haven't noticed.
I would hardly call referencing an extremist, anti-immigration pressure group like CIS a paragon of the truth. Your rhetoric echoes that of someone listening way too much to talk radio talking points rather than logic. I have come up with logical points in my link in an earlier post but it seems since it doesn't jive with your dogma you've just dismissed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top