Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 AM

20 posts, read 42,373 times

Advertisements

Hello! I used to live in Los Angeles and Orange County, but currently in Metro-Detroit Michigan. I am looking to relocate back to California with my husband. We would like to find a decent desert town to live in. I have visited Borrego Springs many years ago, and like the aesthetics as well as the secluded feel, but we need somewhere **slightly** more populated (for jobs). Not looking for anywhere too crowded, somewhere with that Borrego feel, and nothing too expensive. High or low desert makes no difference as long as it's in the desert region.

Climate is not an issue, mainly just lower cost of living/ affordable, and somewhat aesthetically pleasing, in a desert sense. We can't take any more of this dismal Michigan weather and the super high crime rate.

Thanks a lot for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 05:27 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,638,013 times
Maybe the area near Joshua Tree National Park (high desert side) - Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree, 29 Palms.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:44 PM

687 posts, read 1,488,140 times
Joshua Tree is very pretty. 29 Palms has the Marine base, and a huge meth problem. My daughter lives there and hates it. I really like Morongo Valley. It's really small, and no work, but it's only a 30 minute drive to jobs in Palm Springs.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,962,200 times
Palm Springs is the most aesthetic, has the most jobs, the best cultural opportunities, and real estate in the Coachella Valley is still relatively inexpensive.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,638,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRed View Post
Joshua Tree is very pretty. 29 Palms has the Marine base, and a huge meth problem. My daughter lives there and hates it. I really like Morongo Valley. It's really small, and no work, but it's only a 30 minute drive to jobs in Palm Springs.
Didn't know about the meth problem. I always got the feeling a lot of career military retired out that way. I've seen the meth problem is rural Tennessee - guess it's everywhere. Still a lovely area. I prefer high desert to low but the OP said it didn't matter to them.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 AM

116 posts, read 375,826 times
I live in Quartz Hill/West Lancaster in the Antelope Valley, and truly love it. There is space to stretch out, and you can have your own little or big farm if you like as well. Aesthetically speaking it is rural, but with the gorgeous mountains in the background, and the plains of poppies that come out every spring it is beautiful. Housing is decently affordable.

Some people on here complain about the crime rate, but when you really look at it, it is pretty average for an area with this population.

I love the area!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,122,537 times
I'd agree with the western side of Lancaster as a really good option.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 PM

Thanks a lot everybody, these are all really good things to know, so we definitely appreciate it!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 PM

194 posts, read 503,589 times
How about Bishop? It's high Desert so you'll have to deal with a little snow in the winter, but it's usually dry and not too bad. It's also smack in the middle of the most beautiful area of California...the Eastern Sierras.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 PM

Bishop looks nice!!! How are utilities in the desert though? I have been reading that some areas, the water bills are crazy (being that it's the desert) and also electricity is outrageous too. I'm just wondering, if we find somewhere we can afford, are we going to be screwed once we get our utility bills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California