Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:36 AM

31 posts, read 38,357 times

Advertisements

Hey, my family and I are from New Zealand and we're looking into moving to California! I have 4 children, 2 of which are teenagers and they hate it here. It's not the lifestyle for us, although its perfect for some. We are moving for business but also the kids get really bored here and the weather is horrible! We visited last year and we absolutely loved it. We are planning on going back next year to look at some neighborhoods, schools, etc etc. We have been doing heaps of research and trying to find somewhere perfect for us, we've narrowed it down to a few. We've looked into Sacramento and the neighbourhoods Folsom, Granite Bay, Rocklin, Roseville, El Doraldo Hills. Also Murrieta and Temecula. & neighborhoods out of Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley Region. But we've also heard great things about San Diego, haven't found a suitable neighborhood though. Anyway, they all sound okay but none of them really tick all the boxes. We want a nice, safe area, low crime area with lots to do for the teenagers and also good schooling. Preferably close to a main city. We need a 5 bedroom house, preferably between $500,000 - $700,000. Is there an area with all the things we want, thats safe and has family homes between this price range or is this too much to ask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Rancho Bernardo to the north of San Diego, off of I-15 and Chula Vista to the south of San Diego would be two places you may want to also consider.

In addition, you may want to also consider areas such as Chino Hills or Rancho Cucamonga in the greater Los Angeles area.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,712,996 times
You should be good to go anywhere you have listed.

If worst comes to worst Fresno within CUSD fits.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 03-07-2013 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 03-07-2013, 10:41 AM

9,821 posts, read 11,540,655 times
The Poway area of San Diego would be a nice fit
A lot to do with some of the best schools in the nation
Fletcher Hills area of El Cajon is also a good choice

Old 03-07-2013, 01:33 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Check the Ventura County forum here, and do a search for Thousand Oaks. Will check all your boxes.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
The Poway area of San Diego would be a nice fit
A lot to do with some of the best schools in the nation
Fletcher Hills area of El Cajon is also a good choice
Thanks, Poway seems like a good! El Cajon doesn't seem to have a very good rep about it though, is it really as bad as people say here? Urban Dictionary: El Cajon

Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Check the Ventura County forum here, and do a search for Thousand Oaks. Will check all your boxes.
Looks nice. Sounds a little quiet and boring though, our kids hate the basic low-key lifestyle here! Definitely have to look into it thanks

Old 03-07-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Rancho Bernardo to the north of San Diego, off of I-15 and Chula Vista to the south of San Diego would be two places you may want to also consider.

In addition, you may want to also consider areas such as Chino Hills or Rancho Cucamonga in the greater Los Angeles area.
Thanks for your feedback! Rancho Bernardo looks a little pricey, 5 bedroom house prices are getting well over a million! Heard different feedback about Chula Vista too, think we might look into it more. Apparently theres a really nice side and a ghetto side?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInNewZealand View Post
Thanks for your feedback! Rancho Bernardo looks a little pricey, 5 bedroom house prices are getting well over a million! Heard different feedback about Chula Vista too, think we might look into it more. Apparently theres a really nice side and a ghetto side?
Rancho Bernardo has some homes in your price range, and is a very nice family area. They also go up from your price range, but you can enter into that market and it is pretty desirable.

Chula Vista has some nice areas about 5 miles or so inland, and heading east. Personally, I'd probably start by looking on the east side of I-805.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Rancho Bernardo has some homes in your price range, and is a very nice family area. They also go up from your price range, but you can enter into that market and it is pretty desirable.

Chula Vista has some nice areas about 5 miles or so inland, and heading east. Personally, I'd probably start by looking on the east side of I-805.
Well that's weird, we've been using Zillow to see the house prices and shows the cheapest 5 bedroom bedroom in Rancho Bernardo to be $729,000 and then the rest quite a bit higher. Rancho Bernardo San Diego CA Homes for Sale & Rancho Bernardo Real Estate - Zillow

Is there a better website we should be using?

But yeah, we've heard East of the I-805 is great and West is gangs etc. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California