Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I do thank you for the look at the Space Needle. I haven't seen it since I was there in '79.
A lot of people who live right near by it haven't seen much of it for months. One of my rentals is walking distance, or I should say, wading distance ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vary View Post
I just found it hilarious that this thread was started on a day where it hailed through much of the southland.
Exactly. It was pouring rain here this morning. Yeah, that never ending sunshine really gets to us.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
I am pondering a move out from the Northeast. Despite this, I am a warm climate person. I absolutely despise cold and snow. Id rather control that than not and have to deal with 4-5 months of cold and snow here. Being able to drive between places and microclimates/geography is most appealling to me.

I have family in LA and SF, and my brother moved out to Honolulu 12 years ago he hated the cold so bad.

I have never lived in a year round, warm/sunny climate as such on the coasts of California (im aware of Northern areas not being as sunny and quite rainy).

My question is, do you get sick of the year round warmth and sun, and virtually no change in seasons?

Change in seasons is alright. Summer is my favorite and fall is cool too, but winter and spring are bleh.

I have a feeling I would love that, but just wanna see if others felt the same.

Thank you in advance.
When you say "amazing" weather, do you mean like today, when it downpoured rain in Los Angeles twice within 12 hrs?

By the way, I am enjoying a beer right now.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The usual response to that would be, "Do you get sick of sex?", or "Do you sick of money?"

But for you, we can ask, "Do you get sick of beer?"
Hangovers are only temporary...

I had tofu for dinner, so I am trying to filll my stomach, and the brew works well.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Heck no!

Here in the SF Bay Area, we do notice a change in seasons to some degree. The days are noticeably shorter in winter. And if you live in inland parts of the Bay Area (I'm in San Jose), summers are noticeably warmer (low to mid 80s during the day) than winter (mid to high 50s on most winter days)...so we do have some seasonal contrast.

Overall I love the climate here, and I actually wish the winters were a bit sunnier and about 5 degrees warmer...but it's good enough.

The thing that wears on me about CA is not the weather, but the high cost of living here, especially housing. I suspect that's true for most people.
San Francisco is an anomaly. SF is the place of which Mark Twain wrote "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I used to live in Honolulu -- now there's a place that REALLY doesn't have any seasonal variation.

At least SF is far enough north (37 north, about the same latitude as Richmond VA) that there's a tangible difference between winter and summer in terms of day length. Our seasons are, roughly:

Rainy - mid-November through March; rain on 30-40% of days; cool, often overcast; occasional sunny warm days.

Transition I - April through mid-May; most days are warm and sunny; occasional rain.

Fog - mid-May through August - usually gloomy along the immediate coast; frequent incursions of low clouds inland; dry but cool and humid.

Transition II - September through mid-November -- see Transition I. This is when we usually get our hottest weather of the year.

A typical yearly temperature range here in SF (and even within this tiny city it can vary a LOT) is 40 to 90 °F.
Have to highlight this, simply because as an L.A. person, it gives me an excuse to fulfill my obligation of bashing SF.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
I'm sick of the rain for today, that's for sure. Couldn't walk the dogs...

Old 03-08-2013, 11:48 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Im not looking for 120 here.
Most people aren't. That's why we're fleeing.

My husband used to live in Pasadena. He said the population always jumped a few notches in January/February - right after the beautiful, sunny Rose Parade was broadcast in all the snowbound States.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:53 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Exactly. It was pouring rain here this morning. Yeah, that never ending sunshine really gets to us.
I was even going to wear my rain boots, but I forgot and it was flip flops as usual. Now THAT'S how you know you're in SoCal!

Old 03-09-2013, 01:08 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
No, I don't get tired of it. Even living in a part of California that has a more "extreme" climate (the Sacramento Valley) its still WAY nicer than 90% of the rest of the country. I despise humidity in the summer and having to deal with snow and cold in the winter when you don't want to sucks. I spent a year in the Upper Midwest - that was enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California