Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:27 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Based on recent surveys and election results, this is becoming ever less likely. Perhaps conservative/libertarian experiments like Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, West Virginia and Mogadishu would be a little more to your liking.
I lived in Mississippi for a year doing business development for a startup company.

Mississippi is a great place to live, except for the heat, the humidity, and the funny way they talk

Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
And their Bible Belt mentality.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:34 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
I was going to add insects and things that slither ... but Fontucky covered both of those ...

Old 03-08-2013, 07:38 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I lived in Mississippi for a year doing business development for a startup company.

Mississippi is a great place to live, except for the heat, the humidity, and the funny way they talk
Gimme a girl with a southern accent any day, just here in CA.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:55 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
The complete neutering of the Republican party. CA is at the point the state GOP can't fulfill its primary objective of campaigning on the premise government can't work and proving that point after getting elected. The Dems undoubtedly will abuse their newly unchecked power, but the GOP will be less likely to rely on obstructionism as a tactic. This will cause the GOP to realize they need to stop alienating the middle by ignoring the nonsense of their primary voters. Republicans are realizing they can’t win statewide office without effectively cutting off the right fringe, and I think that will expressed in other states.
Would like to believe that, but the accompanying pattern in the Central & Sacto Valleys may well be the real trend here & nationwide, with bedrock conservative areas simply retreating even deeper into ideological conservatism... even if it means further irrelevance and ''cutting off their nose to spite their face''!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Would like to believe that, but the accompanying pattern in the Central & Sacto Valleys may well be the real trend here & nationwide, with bedrock conservative areas simply retreating even deeper into ideological conservatism... even if it means further irrelevance and ''cutting off their nose to spite their face''!
Nah. Some of us registered Republicans voted Democrat in the last election. I've been called limousine liberal around here, lol. The conservatives have moved so far to the right they've falled off the page by my reckoning. More of Fresno County voted for Obama than Romney in the election. Maybe parts of the county are bedrock, but most aren't.

I'm probably a communist in Alabama or Mississippi.

I am a moderate though and can speak fluent conservative or liberal if I want to. I try to be plain spoken so some of the conservatives can understand...

Last edited by Senno; 03-08-2013 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 08:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Nah. Some of us registered Republicans voted Democrat in the last election. I've been called limousine liberal around here, lol. The conservatives have moved so far to the right they've falled off the page by my reckoning. More of Fresno County voted for Obama than Romney in the election. Maybe parts of the county are bedrock, but most aren't.

I'm probably a communist in Alabama or Mississippi.

I am a moderate though and can speak fluent conservative or liberal if I want to. I try to be plain spoken so some of the conservatives can understand...
...and at least one literate liberal now and then. I think that in the deep south they've begun calling the Bible Belt Mentality "Fontana Light."

California's export possibilities are obviously legion.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
...and at least one literate liberal now and then. I think that in the deep south they've begun calling the Bible Belt Mentality "Fontana Light."

California's export possibilities are obviously legion.
LoL. Mostly I like to have a little fun on the internet.

We aren't legion, Curmy.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
To quote from California Dreams & Realities:

"California has long been a bellwether state — a place where crucial trends that eventually spread throughout the U.S. first take root. Its national and international influence is driven by one of the largest economies in the world, by its extraordinary technological and cultural innovations, and by a disproportionately affluent and activist population larger than that of entire countries. In short, the issues of California are the issues that are likely to have an impact on the rest of America."

If so, what do you see are the next or current "trends"?
Speaking for the rest of sane America we've never viewed Calfornification as a "bellwether" state. It's always been viewed as the land of fruits and nuts and insane people. Ideas the come out of it and quickly returned in a prepaid box with no return address.

If a massive earthquake sucked California into the Pacific ocean and drug it into the great abyss I suspect not many of us would miss it...........

Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Speaking for the rest of sane America we've never viewed Calfornification as a "bellwether" state. It's always been viewed as the land of fruits and nuts and insane people. Ideas the come out of it and quickly returned in a prepaid box with no return address.

If a massive earthquake sucked California into the Pacific ocean and drug it into the great abyss I suspect not many of us would miss it...........
Well, I guess we have the President on the internet or something... Wait a minute, Obama's a Democrat... Who are you that dares to speak for America? Imposter...

Here comes gay marriage homey. Open up and say Aaahhhh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California