U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 AM

79 posts, read 202,543 times

Advertisements

Taking the entire state of California into consideration, where would you recommend someone live who...
  • Has no kids (school system doesn't factor into my decision)
  • Is progressive and wants a progressive/liberal area
  • Wants an arts community (could be a small one, but it's there)
  • Wants a low-crime area
  • Is open to cities or towns
  • Is in their early 40s
  • Would be renting, not buying
  • Wants a scenic area with nature trails, parks, close by
  • Has a car but would like to live in a walkable place where there are stores, coffeehouse, etc. nearby
  • Can take/leave public transit -- if the area has it, great, if not, that's ok too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 AM

6,805 posts, read 5,025,310 times
Ojai.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 AM

5,472 posts, read 4,094,118 times
as always asked-what is the budget?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,163,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Ojai.
yeah it's close to, Carpinteria

Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 AM

Senno just learned yesterday that he might be going to Camarillo in 2 weeks to witness the CJSL under 11 Amazons kick some little girl booty down there. I gotta warn ya we are bringing down the President's Cup 2012 Champeens for under 10's (moving up a class this year as a team). So if you wanna bet 1 rep on the tourney winner I will take that bet.

Maybe I will stop into Carpinteria and take a gander of what you all got going on if there's time.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 AM

6,390 posts, read 7,659,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalOrange View Post
Taking the entire state of California into consideration, where would you recommend someone live who...
  • Has no kids (school system doesn't factor into my decision)
  • Is progressive and wants a progressive/liberal area
  • Wants an arts community (could be a small one, but it's there)
  • Wants a low-crime area
  • Is open to cities or towns
  • Is in their early 40s
  • Would be renting, not buying
  • Wants a scenic area with nature trails, parks, close by
  • Has a car but would like to live in a walkable place where there are stores, coffeehouse, etc. nearby
  • Can take/leave public transit -- if the area has it, great, if not, that's ok too
Cayucos, Cambria, SLO

Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Cayucos, Cambria, SLO
All fine recommendations as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
This is a way off topic, but, all my kids played club soccer starting young. One went on and made some money as a soccer tutor in the Sac area. The other, one of the girls was offered scholarships to 7 different universities to play soccer, her position was goalie.

If you have little money, those athletic scholarships are very handy.

All three kids, not kids anymore, but, they stay in contact with the friends they made playing soccer, it is a great thing for the young'uns and has made all the driving we (mostly mom) did all over CA and Nevada for tournaments and games.
The star of the team projects like that. If my niece decides to concentrate on soccer she might. She's playing every sport offered at Lincoln Elementary, and cheerleading on the side in 5th grade. This is her 3rd year on a club team, though. And we take a little Fresno/Clovis on the road to kick butt and take names. I go for fun sometimes, and sometimes to drive as my bil is old(er) and tired after a week driving around the valley from Sacto to Bakersfield.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM

6,390 posts, read 7,659,880 times
Good on ya. As I overheard once, a mother complaining about all the driving, and the answer comes back to her, "Treasure it, too soon your child will be 18 those times in the car, singing, telling jokes, being a family together on a roadtrip, will be over.

My wife would get off work, load the SUV with girls, and off that night to Las Vegas, or Elko, Or Yerington, or San Bernardino, or Fresno, or Bakers field,, etc.

The trick to making them good and to love the sport is to not be one of those dreaded "little league parents",, "You missed that kick, you are a bad person"

Old 03-11-2013, 02:51 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,150,180 times
Mendocino Village.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,461,179 times
Oakhurst sounds up your alley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or