Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I'd love to move back to Calif, but get so frightened when thinking of the above mentioned taxes, fees and costs. One has to earn so much more to live there and then besides all of that, the unavailability of buying a home. Has anyone ever claimed residence in a no income tax state but earned $$ from a calif company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Central valley housing prices say "hi".

Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Uhhh, you'd still pay state income tax in CA

Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
I'm always amused that taxes get so much attention...goes to show many people don't understand their taxes. Taxes in California are only high for a relatively small part portion of Californians, namely those in the top 10% or so. For everyone else its moderate to low. Your average family in California is going to end up paying 1~2% in state income taxes. California taxes the wealthy heavily, the middle-class moderately and the working-class lightly. Many states with supposedly "low taxes" do the opposite and their overall tax burden is lower because the wealthy paying much less.....the working-class and middle-class can only pick up so much slack.

What fees and costs do you have in mind? I've found food to be cheaper in California...especially for someone that eats a lot of fresh foods.

By all means, stay in Texas.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Do you ever get tired of all the taxes, high food, gas, "gotcha" taxes and fees?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Seriously, I'd love to move back to Calif, but get so frightened when thinking of the above mentioned taxes, fees and costs. One has to earn so much more to live there and then besides all of that, the unavailability of buying a home. Has anyone ever claimed residence in a no income tax state but earned $$ from a calif company?
Nope. Don't pay high taxes. Food is pretty cheap in California or the same as most anywhere. Add up the difference in gas and it's maybe a couple hundred a year higher than a cheaper state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I'm always amused that taxes get so much attention...goes to show many people don't understand their taxes. Taxes in California are only high for a relatively small part portion of Californians, namely those in the top 10% or so. For everyone else its moderate to low. Your average family in California is going to end up paying 1~2% in state income taxes. California taxes the wealthy heavily, the middle-class moderately and the working-class lightly. Many states with supposedly "low taxes" do the opposite and their overall tax burden is lower because the wealthy paying much less.....the working-class and middle-class can only pick up so much slack.

What fees and costs do you have in mind? I've found food to be cheaper in California...especially for someone that eats a lot of fresh foods.

This happens to be true. Good to read someone say it like it is.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
I have no clue what you're referring to with the supposed high food prices and gotcha taxes.

Sales tax in Bexar County, Texas: 8.13%
Sales tax in San Bernardino County, CA: 8.25%

Food: today I paid .98 a pound for chicken thighs, 5.98 for a large can of Maxwell House, 1.38 a can for 30oz cans of pumpkin, 33 cents a can for 15.25oz cans of corn, and 68 cents a loaf for white and brown loaves of bread. Are those considered high? The stuff wasn't on sale, those were regular daily prices at WinCo.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,241 times
Taxes in California are only high if you make good money.

If you make $42,000 a year, you don't even pay income tax here, in fact you get a fat refund to spend on some nice car rims.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
The tax system in this state is screwed up on many levels...it's a no brainer.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:57 AM

33 posts, read 66,568 times
Cost of living is a small price to pay for everything so cal has to offer ...whats the alternatives move back to Texas (no thanks rather keep out of the south) arizona is just a large version of the IE imo pass rather not live in Oregon or cold climates if I can help it. If my company expands to washington I may tolarate the cold and rain. Yes Traffic sucks taxes suck etc but I like working on the coast watching the water Im a picky eater when I want thai food I like being able to go to thai town and get some awesome thai food (living/working in west texas made me appreciate LAs food/shopping options i took for granted). Everythings in arms distance here. The best part about LA imo outside of the weather

Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

Just a small example, but take avocados for example, it seems like in Texas you always have to pay extra for it on your food, but a lot of places in California it seems were trying to give away avocado!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California