Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:49 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times

Advertisements

I hate be the bearer of bad news, but the DMV was right. I can't say they were right for acting the way they did, but they are not going to register your bike and be in violation of the law.

The H&S code I posted above (43151(c)) is what allows 7,500 mile vehicle from out of state to be reg'd here, and is pretty clear about you needing to be a resident for that code to apply.

For what its worth, we, in CA, often make it difficult to follow the laws, especially the VC/HSC, as it pertains to vehicle registrations, and unfortunately it often turns into a major Charlie Foxtrot for people trying to do it somewhat honestly.

Anyway, enjoy riding in CA, best state for it in the country, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 PM

14 posts, read 73,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I hate be the bearer of bad news, but the DMV was right. I can't say they were right for acting the way they did, but they are not going to register your bike and be in violation of the law.

The H&S code I posted above (43151(c)) is what allows 7,500 mile vehicle from out of state to be reg'd here, and is pretty clear about you needing to be a resident for that code to apply.

For what its worth, we, in CA, often make it difficult to follow the laws, especially the VC/HSC, as it pertains to vehicle registrations, and unfortunately it often turns into a major Charlie Foxtrot for people trying to do it somewhat honestly.

Anyway, enjoy riding in CA, best state for it in the country, IMO.
Like you said it is pretty clear I need to be a California resident for that code to apply, but there is a exception to that code which is shown on the handbook, flyer, and website. That exception is, as I mention before, is if I'm an out of state resident bringing a vehicle to California that is registered in another state then the 7,500 miles do not apply. When I showed her this she stumbled a bit because she thought it only applied to military which wasn't the case. In the end, the lack of the fed epa sticker is what prevented my registration.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM

Where is this exemption?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-13-2013, 07:05 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Quote:
That is not even remotely true.

This forum has awful selective reading - I sometimes wonder if the first post is read, the rest of the posts are ignored, and then people post whatever they "think" is true, and ignore the rest.
I read. I read that someone with a Florida driver's license, who lives in Florida is driving a motorcycle with Florida plates in the state of California.
What exactly could the cite him for? For being from out of state?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 AM

364 posts, read 611,134 times
If the CA bureaucrats really want to be axxholes they can prove that you are keeping a vehicle here for long periods of time with an out-of-state registration. Neighbors have been known to turn in "offenders". But with the FL driver's license I don't think you will have trouble. And afterall it's only a motorcycle.

But still seems like an insane amount of trouble for nothing. How much air polution could your 49 state motorcycle cause anyway? But facts, logic and reason have no effect on these people. CA has a burearcracy that would be envied even in France and India.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I read. I read that someone with a Florida driver's license, who lives in Florida is driving a motorcycle with Florida plates in the state of California.
What exactly could the cite him for? For being from out of state?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nshocker View Post
My residency and DL is in Florida, where I work. However I do stay/visit with family at their residents in California for extended period of time. I keep my motorcycle here to have something to drive around. It is still registered in Florida.
Quote:
4000.4. (a) Except as provided in Sections 6700, 6702, and 6703, any vehicle which is registered to a nonresident owner, and which is based in California or primarily used on California highways, shall be registered in California.

(b) For purposes of this section, a vehicle is deemed to be primarily or regularly used on the highways of this state if the vehicle is located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than it is located or operated in any other individual state during the registration period in question.
Well, you would cite him for 4000.4(a)vc. It doesn't take a master investigator to determine if someone is visiting or not, or if a vehicle is based here or not. 4000.4 is actually a relatively common cite, common enough to be carried in the Bail Schedule (its only a $25+fees cite in LA County).

Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Where is this exemption?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FFVR 29 on their website and their Fast Facts Flyer FFVR 29. Also listed on the Nonresident vehicle CL12 procedure handbook under exemptions on page 12-6.

You are also correct about needing to register it in CA if its in CA longer than any other state even if I'm a out of state resident. It's the reason why I attempted to get it registered.

It seem that people under my exact same circumstance had been able to get their motorcycle registered.

Also looking further into it, I may have found out that non-California motorcycles may not be required to have emission sticker at all. I haven't verified that for my bike because I've pretty much given up.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:28 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
When you get a citation or the bike is impounded, remember to come back right here and ask all those telling you not to register the bike in CA for their kind help once more. I am sure they'll chip in.

You were given the best answers by 1200RT. You can choose to ignore that or deal with the eventual problems, they will arrive.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
When you get a citation or the bike is impounded, remember to come back right here and ask all those telling you not to register the bike in CA for their kind help once more. I am sure they'll chip in.

You were given the best answers by 1200RT. You can choose to ignore that or deal with the eventual problems, they will arrive.
It is obvious you didn't read the thread entirely, but I'm not going to try to explain it again.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshocker View Post
FFVR 29 on their website and their Fast Facts Flyer FFVR 29. Also listed on the Nonresident vehicle CL12 procedure handbook under exemptions on page 12-6.

You are also correct about needing to register it in CA if its in CA longer than any other state even if I'm a out of state resident. It's the reason why I attempted to get it registered.

It seem that people under my exact same circumstance had been able to get their motorcycle registered.

Also looking further into it, I may have found out that non-California motorcycles may not be required to have emission sticker at all. I haven't verified that for my bike because I've pretty much given up.
I'm sorry, but you're still not correct.

The section from the DMV reg handbook you're referencing, I believe, says "The owner/resident of another state brings a vehicle registered to him/her in the other state into California.", which is made possible by 43151hsc, which I quoted above, and applies to residents only. Thy even call it out in the title of the section "Exemptions (H&SC §43151[b & c])".

If you're reading something different, please post the actual text so we can put this to bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: