Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:00 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,384,229 times

Advertisements

Often, I hear of the supposed differences between "NorCal" (SF Bay Area, Sacramento, etc.) and "So Cal" (Greater Los Angeles and the Inland Empire stretching down to San Diego).

But the simplistic "NorCal" vs "SoCal" dichotomy obscures more than it illuminates, IMHO. For example, Stockton is technically "NorCal" and Bakersfield is technically "SoCal," yet I think these two Central Valley cities are more similar to each other in some ways than either of the two are to the SF Bay Area or to Los Angeles, no? There's a lot of difference between the coast and the interior, even within "NorCal" or "SoCal."

Also, there are many differences between different cities and areas within the SF Bay Area, as there are within Greater Los Angeles, the Inland Empire, and the Central Valley, to name just a few regions of California.

So I guess my point is that the nuances and diversity of California's geography, demography, culture make simplistic dichotomies pretty difficult when describing this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM

102,055 posts, read 106,836,948 times
OK, I guess you're right. There's also a "coastal cal" vs. Central Valley Cal" dichotomy. Let's also not forget that NorCal is the rainforests along the Oregon border, it's the Trinity Alps, the redwood forests, and it's Lake Tahoe. Mono Lake is also technically in NorCal, even though LA seems to think it's theirs for water purposes.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:30 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,995,098 times
When it comes down to it, it's really SF Bay Area versus GLAMA. No one in the valley cares one way or the other.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,425,799 times
Los Angeles has curtailed its use of Mono Lake because of conservation efforts, with the lake now being restored. No such equivalent effort for Hetch-Hetchy. Really, no one in the Bay Area gets to lecture about water. Did you know Los Angeles water use has not risen since in the '70s, despite a triple population growth? That SoCal actually recycles almost 100 million gallons per day? No, SoCal is way ahead of NorCal when it comes to innovations, strategy, and results. Google water myths to find out more.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:37 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,400,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
When it comes down to it, it's really SF Bay Area versus GLAMA. No one in the valley cares one way or the other.
Well inversely one could also say it's all the reasonably ''normal'' folks in the rest of the state vs the Bay Area...

Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Los Angeles has curtailed its use of Mono Lake because of conservation efforts, with the lake now being restored. No such equivalent effort for Hetch-Hetchy. Really, no one in the Bay Area gets to lecture about water. Did you know Los Angeles water use has not risen since in the '70s, despite a triple population growth? That SoCal actually recycles almost 100 million gallons per day? No, SoCal is way ahead of NorCal when it comes to innovations, strategy, and results. Google water myths to find out more.
OK, I stand corrected, thanks for the info. I still can't forgive LA for completely wrecking the paradise that was the Owens Valley. Oh well. I must say, I'm impressed with the recycling. LA should get more publicity around that. It could be a model for the SW.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
LMAO at those who still think Norcal and Socal are myths. The original state that was to be named Colorado was Socal. It's as old as the state itself.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:48 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,425,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, I stand corrected, thanks for the info. I still can't forgive LA for completely wrecking the paradise that was the Owens Valley. Oh well. I must say, I'm impressed with the recycling. LA should get more publicity around that. It could be a model for the SW.
You should google that too. It's shady, but far less sinister than the movie Chinatown depicts, about "wrecking paradise" and victimization of inhabitants who sold their rights. It was pointed out too that there are big cities around the country whose water supply depended on drowning out entire valleys and towns to create reservoirs, without much negative image-making. So we can't glare at Los Angeles in particular and not cast a glance askance elsewhere too.

Otherwise, to the OP there are more cultural affinities than differences in the population centers. Differences seem more carefully constructed and held than real.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
You should google that too. It's shady, but far less sinister than the movie Chinatown depicts, about "wrecking paradise" and victimization of inhabitants who sold their rights. It was pointed out too that there are big cities around the country whose water supply depended on drowning out entire valleys and towns to create reservoirs, without much negative image-making. So we can't glare at Los Angeles in particular and not cast a glance askance elsewhere too.

Otherwise, to the OP there are more cultural affinities than differences in the population centers. Differences seem more carefully constructed and held than real.
PBS had a documentary about the Owens Valley that was very moving. I'll never forget it. Drowning out uninhabited valleys is different from cutting off a thriving community's water supply. But that's ancient history now. Maybe LA can redeem itself by publicizing this water recycling. Increasing grey water use, for watering gardens or even for taking showers, might be the next step. That's what they do in Australia. The US will have to face reality sooner or later.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,274,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Often, I hear of the supposed differences between "NorCal" (SF Bay Area, Sacramento, etc.) and "So Cal" (Greater Los Angeles and the Inland Empire stretching down to San Diego).

But the simplistic "NorCal" vs "SoCal" dichotomy obscures more than it illuminates, IMHO. For example, Stockton is technically "NorCal" and Bakersfield is technically "SoCal," yet I think these two Central Valley cities are more similar to each other in some ways than either of the two are to the SF Bay Area or to Los Angeles, no? There's a lot of difference between the coast and the interior, even within "NorCal" or "SoCal."

Also, there are many differences between different cities and areas within the SF Bay Area, as there are within Greater Los Angeles, the Inland Empire, and the Central Valley, to name just a few regions of California.

So I guess my point is that the nuances and diversity of California's geography, demography, culture make simplistic dichotomies pretty difficult when describing this state.
Read "The Nine Nations of North America."

Both Stockton and Bakerspatch are part of "Mexamerica."

The Bay Area is part of "Ecotopia."

Arguably, since the 1980s when the book was published, much of at least coastal SoCal has become a de facto part of "Ecotopia" (used to be part of "Mexamerica"). I attribute that to the Leftward drift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California