Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Oh, and they already have a rep of "10" with their first 5 posts (multiple log-ins anyone)?!
That's not unusual. When you join, they seem to give you some free points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Veboot View Post
It was not closing time, no. The manager, or salesperson, who turned the sign also made a "fat sign" of some kind and pointed my friend to a Lane Bryant. I have heard countless stories of this kind. It is no laughing matter.
I feel my leg being pulled. A fat sign??? Did the paper-thin Prada patriots also write 'momona' in lipstick on the window as they drew the curtains in horror & scurried to the floor, hiding behind the Prada shoe display & skinny jean rack 'til the offending fatty left the scene? By the way, which mall has a Prada next to a Lane Bryant? Is it the same mall which has a Family Dollar next to a Valentino, across from the Mercedes Benz dealership?

Again, a fat sign??? Geesh, I stay at home for 1-wk working hard & miss out on the new international sign for 'pudgy person present'.

I'm thinking Nullgeo & 415 called it... new hoax poster. I've seen women shopping in men's depts, lone men in baby depts, older folks in junior-sized stores & thin women in plus sized stores & none of them were chased away... many of us shop for others. My SO hasn't purchased his own Calvins, socks or grooming products since I met him. If by a sliver of sand, this story may be even vaguely true, we cannot assume why another is rude. It could be our color, sex, overall appearance, religion, nationality, that we look like their ex, or simply that we're in the presence of a rude person. I always defer to the latter... assumptions are generally, mostly wrong & we can do nothing to change another's views.

Namaste.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Hawaiins? Phbbbbttt!

Imagine how bad Tongans and Samoans would have it (if any of this were for real).

Old 03-22-2013, 06:01 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Hawaiins? Phbbbbttt!

Imagine how bad Tongans and Samoans would have it (if any of this were for real).
This is what I've been thinking: what about the Samoans?

Old 03-22-2013, 06:16 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Quote:
I am not Hawaiian myself but I have many friends of Hawaiian descent and they have repeatedly complained, when shopping in California, of being harassed about their weight at middle to high-end fashion centers. What this generally entails is that, while they are not told to outright leave these establishments, they are pointed "down the block" to plus-sized retail stores. Some of my friends are admittedly hefty. Others are no meatier than I am (I am a 147-lb., 5'3" female.) The overall feeling when shopping in California is that there is prejudice against Hawaiians. I point this out only because there has been so much of a ruckus of late about gay marriages in CA. I find it lamentable that in California you are focusing on this, while right under your noses Hawaiians (who are also Americans) are being maligned for no reason whatsoever other than a few extra pounds. Who has witnessed this and done anything about it?
There's no prejudice against Hawaiians....maybe the incident had more to do with weight. Not many people would know the difference between Hawaiian, Samoan, Guamanian, Fijian, New Zealander, Micronesian, Tahitian...well, you get the picture. Designer clothing isn't generally even made in sizes over 12-14 ...perhaps you're being more bristly or feeling insecure? (My mom and grandparents were all born/raised in Hawaii, btw prior to moving to the mainland..not that it matters!)

Old 03-23-2013, 08:41 AM

14 posts, read 15,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I feel my leg being pulled. A fat sign??? Did the paper-thin Prada patriots also write 'momona' in lipstick on the window as they drew the curtains in horror & scurried to the floor, hiding behind the Prada shoe display & skinny jean rack 'til the offending fatty left the scene? By the way, which mall has a Prada next to a Lane Bryant? Is it the same mall which has a Family Dollar next to a Valentino, across from the Mercedes Benz dealership? Namaste.
This was just an issue my husband thought I should address. I probably wouldn't have done it if I knew I'd just be mocked and attacked.

I'm sorry but I didn't mean they had a "fat sign." I meant he made a nasty gesture that my friend felt was made on account of weight. I don't know what it was actually but I can ask.

I also didn't say the Lane Bryant was "next to" the Prada. I said he "pointed" my friend to the Lane Bryant. Again, I can probably get specifics.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
I am not Hawaiian myself but I have many friends of Hawaiian descent and they have repeatedly complained, when shopping in California, of being harassed about their weight at middle to high-end fashion centers. What this generally entails is that, while they are not told to outright leave these establishments, they are pointed "down the block" to plus-sized retail stores. Some of my friends are admittedly hefty. Others are no meatier than I am (I am a 147-lb., 5'3" female.) The overall feeling when shopping in California is that there is prejudice against Hawaiians. I point this out only because there has been so much of a ruckus of late about gay marriages in CA. I find it lamentable that in California you are focusing on this, while right under your noses Hawaiians (who are also Americans) are being maligned for no reason whatsoever other than a few extra pounds. Who has witnessed this and done anything about it?
Do the stores do the same thing for the heft white, black, Hispanic, and other Asians? If so, then no problem. If not, then I'm curious to know how some high school punk employee making $6.50 an hour would be able to tell the difference between a Hawaiian and other Pacific Islanders.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Quote:
Some of my friends are admittedly hefty. Others are no meatier than I am (I am a 147-lb., 5'3" female.)
Sorry to have to mention this, but a 5'3" woman at 147 is way overweight, by about 20-30 pounds. Pacific Islanders tend toward obesity, so am sensing a bit of crankiness and defensiveness about this non issue topic, a rather "don't pick on me because I'm fat" attitude.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Sounds like you made a fat issue into a race issue...

Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 AM

14 posts, read 15,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Sounds like you made a fat issue into a race issue...
No, I don't believe I have. I am full-bodied and proud. I used to run marathons before the diabetes.

The other thing I'd like to say is that saying you can't tell the difference between a Hawaiian and a Puerto Rican is like saying you can't tell a Chinese and Japanese person apart. My husband says that. That was his observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California