Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 PM

363 posts, read 514,445 times

Advertisements

Santa Monica is wonderful, but living there was very isolating; all the friends I met there rarely left the Westside. It's nice to visit on a Sunday for lunch.

Might also want to check out around Beverly Hills and surrounding neighborhoods (Beverlywood, Century City, Miracle Mile). These areas are centrally located. Hollywood Hills, West Hollywood and Hancock Park would be perfect for you, too.

LA has a similar cost of living as NYC, so be realistic. $3k here gets you a nice 2 bedroom apartment in a nice neighborhood, or a decent 3 bedroom apartment in an OK neighborhood (or a luxury 2 bed in an OK neighborhood). $6k may or may not get you a house in a nice neighborhood. I'd imagine a poolhouse in Bev Hills, Hancock Park or Hwood hills would be at least $10k per month.

A penthouse apartment solo would offer more privacy: I find having your office separate from your bedroom essential. Never mind the awkwardness of bringing dates home to a place you share with roommates- very uncomfortable.
If you have as much money as you do, I cannot understand why you'd want to live with roommates if you don't have to. Roommating has got to be the worst part of the late teens/early 20's period. It's something people aspire to not have to do anymore. And apartment/condo living is just part of city life. Many apartments here have luxury amenities, like pools, gyms, saunas, etc...

In any case, watch out for the realtor tricks on trulia and the other sites: they might list something as "Hollywood Hills" but then on the map it will actually be in Hollywood. Same scheme they use with advertising "Hancock Park" (very desirable), but then the place ends up being in Koreatown or MidCity (not desirable).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
the time it takes to get to the beach from Westwood.
Oh, yeah. Was it lighter when you lived there? But yeah that's the rough estimate/average.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Oh, yeah. Was it lighter when you lived there? But yeah that's the rough estimate/average.
I didn't go to that area often, but when I did, I don't recall it taking that long.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 AM

12 posts, read 17,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
Santa Monica is wonderful, but living there was very isolating; all the friends I met there rarely left the Westside. It's nice to visit on a Sunday for lunch.

Might also want to check out around Beverly Hills and surrounding neighborhoods (Beverlywood, Century City, Miracle Mile). These areas are centrally located. Hollywood Hills, West Hollywood and Hancock Park would be perfect for you, too.

LA has a similar cost of living as NYC, so be realistic. $3k here gets you a nice 2 bedroom apartment in a nice neighborhood, or a decent 3 bedroom apartment in an OK neighborhood (or a luxury 2 bed in an OK neighborhood). $6k may or may not get you a house in a nice neighborhood. I'd imagine a poolhouse in Bev Hills, Hancock Park or Hwood hills would be at least $10k per month.

A penthouse apartment solo would offer more privacy: I find having your office separate from your bedroom essential. Never mind the awkwardness of bringing dates home to a place you share with roommates- very uncomfortable.
If you have as much money as you do, I cannot understand why you'd want to live with roommates if you don't have to. Roommating has got to be the worst part of the late teens/early 20's period. It's something people aspire to not have to do anymore. And apartment/condo living is just part of city life. Many apartments here have luxury amenities, like pools, gyms, saunas, etc...

In any case, watch out for the realtor tricks on trulia and the other sites: they might list something as "Hollywood Hills" but then on the map it will actually be in Hollywood. Same scheme they use with advertising "Hancock Park" (very desirable), but then the place ends up being in Koreatown or MidCity (not desirable).
Thanks for the sound advice.

I've been doing my research, as I do a lot with big life changes (surprise). For example, this house
on trulia, 6k rent, 3 beds.. 1500 a room. Seems like a nice neighbor hood (says Hancock, which you mentioned was good). Reason I'd want roommates, to answer you question, is because when I go to LA, I will know no one there. I'd be nice to bring some friends from home with me, and share a big house rather than live in an apartment on my own, maybe in a nicer area, but paying more for less space. Way too used to that here in NYC. I've google mapped the house, street-viewed it, and the address is accurate.

I also looked into Santa Monica, as it is popularly suggested. Personally, I have no need to be that close to the beach in order to pay that premium. I get that there's parts that are cheaper, but those cheap ones, that look nice are hard to find. I'll look more into the other neighborhoods you mentioned.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 AM

Oh dear:

"This home is available furnished for short term only. The list price is the weekly rate. Rentals for one month or longer will be at a lower rate."

$6000/week sounds about right to me for this house and area.

These types of rentals are fishing for studios to use their properties for filming. Even if you had $12 or $20k for rent, the owners might be weary about renting to to a group of younger guys.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
To the OP: I suggest you take the question to the Los Angeles sub-forum - you'll probably find people with more direct experience to give you info.

See for example Top 10 Best Places to Live in LA

Old 04-04-2013, 11:44 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyeam View Post
Thanks for the sound advice.

I've been doing my research, as I do a lot with big life changes (surprise). For example, this house
on trulia, 6k rent, 3 beds.. 1500 a room. Seems like a nice neighbor hood (says Hancock, which you mentioned was good). Reason I'd want roommates, to answer you question, is because when I go to LA, I will know no one there. I'd be nice to bring some friends from home with me, and share a big house rather than live in an apartment on my own, maybe in a nicer area, but paying more for less space. Way too used to that here in NYC. I've google mapped the house, street-viewed it, and the address is accurate.

I also looked into Santa Monica, as it is popularly suggested. Personally, I have no need to be that close to the beach in order to pay that premium. I get that there's parts that are cheaper, but those cheap ones, that look nice are hard to find. I'll look more into the other neighborhoods you mentioned.
The one thing you're going to find out that a "reasonable" drive to beach or nightlife is going to depend on traffic. You say you don't want to be that close to the beach, but traffic isn't always going to give you the same driving time.

Sometimes it will take 25 minutes, quite a few days it will take double that. Just throwing out numbers.

I think it will definitely help for you to visit first.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
The one thing you're going to find out that a "reasonable" drive to beach or nightlife is going to depend on traffic. You say you don't want to be that close to the beach, but traffic isn't always going to give you the same driving time.

Sometimes it will take 25 minutes, quite a few days it will take double that. Just throwing out numbers.

I think it will definitely help for you to visit first.
Agreed on everything, especially visiting first for a week or two.

Re: driving times: I'd assume the OP would try to avoid going out in rush hour if he works at home.
But it's true, the driving times - like rents can on a single block- vary wildly.

It once took 15 minutes for me to get from Bev Hills to Santa Monica...at 1 in the afternoon on a Wed hitting all green lights. But it's also taken an hour and 20 to get back to BevHills, leaving Santa M. at 5:30pm (best and worst times ever clocked). Same sort of range going to/from Downtown and HWood. Your times sound like a good, realistic, average range.

Can't remember where this quote comes from, but it sums up your point pretty well:
"Everywhere in LA is 20 minutes away...without traffic."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California