Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I can understand the point in general, but I would completely understand if suggested say, to marry someone with a PhD. or someone other remarkable achievement. That would've made more sense to me. (and I say that as one has only earned my Masters).

But just as many students goof off and squander their college years at elite universities just as much as regular state universities.

I'm in the academic/education world, and I believe that once you get beyond a threshhold of quality, after that, its just what you make of it.
Agreed, I will point out that I don't necessarily agree with finding a mate as soon as you hit freshman year being that a lot of kids are still getting acclimated to college life along with being still quite immature. I think during that year they should be more concerned with their studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Big deal....

Find a successful mate.....shocker

Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

Anecdotally, I have friends where they are both Stanford grads -- she has her BA; he has his BS/MS/PhD. They claim to give $50K/year to Stanford, and have for decades. Oh -- their twin boys are seniors at Stanford this year as well.
I guess if I gave $50K a year to Stanford, my son would have been accepted there.

Poor kid had to settle for a full ride academic scholarship to Cal. Go Bears!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I guess if I gave $50K a year to Stanford, my son would have been accepted there.

Poor kid had to settle for a full ride academic scholarship to Cal. Go Bears!
The interbreeding program at Cal isn't nearly as comprehensive as that of Stanford. Wonder if they apply any of their old 'prison experiments' to those who resist such practice on The Farm?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Hmmm. Don't really agree OR disagree with her.

I think women need to relax and meet men in general (doesn't matter HOW) , have great, interesting, compatible conversation...be on the same wavelength (i.e. "friends" and forget about their educational level/career choice/body/looks/fashion sense/car..) Find a really great male friend FIRST (even if he's not the most gorgeous man you can find ((those kinds usually know it and will act accordingly!)) . Then the rest will fall into place. You fall in love with the person/personality , not the image that's been fed to you by the media.

I do understand that there's some problems with the whole attraction thing---but any long time,happily married person knows that all that romantic stuff generally fades away or becomes pointless over time. Women need men that are capable of having a meaningful conversation, have the similar intellect/interests, have AMBITION, aren't intimidated if you ARE successful, and aren't constantly looking ahead for the next best/better opportunity..

Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
I AM OFFENDED!

Well not really, but many folk are easily so. A lot of college folk find their soul mates in college. Funny how some get offended when old fashioned common sense is presented, but is not PC.

Hey people, nothing wrong with finding a mate in college.

With that said, the lady might have been a bit over the top.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Since the goal of Stanford's Alumni office is to maximize the net present value of future donations, they hired lots of consultants to figure out how to encourage Stanford grads to marry other Stanford grads..
I'm good with same sex marriage but two 'furders hooking up goes over the line.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:26 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I can understand the point in general, but I would completely understand if suggested say, to marry someone with a PhD. or someone other remarkable achievement. That would've made more sense to me. (and I say that as one has only earned my Masters).

But just as many students goof off and squander their college years at elite universities just as much as regular state universities.

I'm in the academic/education world, and I believe that once you get beyond a threshhold of quality, after that, its just what you make of it.

Over 30 years ago, I attended a talk given by Milton Friedman. He didn't really give a lecture -- he said to the audience "most of you were my students, so you already know what I think. So instead of giving a talk, I'll just open it up to questions."

One of the questions was "What do you think about the current state of Higher Education in Economics?"

Friedman replied, "I really don't know anything about that. But here is what we all know: By subsidizing the price of tuition, we encourage some people to go to college who would not otherwise attend. This is a misallocation of resources that, in the long-run, leads to everyone being somewhat worse off in society compared to how they would be if there were no misallocation of resources..."

"Everyone agrees on that. But maybe Higher Education is special. I think it is. In the history of Mankind, true advances in every field -- physics, chemistry, literature, politics, technology, engineering, law, computers, manufacturing, fine arts, commerce, politics -- true advances in every field are the result of the work of a tiny fraction of the overall population..."

He went on, "And here's what we also know about College & Universities: They encourage a tremendous amount of indiscriminate breeding in a highly discriminating gene pool. For example, I met my wife in college."

Of course, the audience burst into laughter, but his point is a good one.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:49 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

have AMBITION, aren't intimidated if you ARE successful, and aren't constantly looking ahead for the next best/better opportunity..
Wait, aren't these the same thing?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,520 times
I guess the American race hasn't "evolved " enough? Genes?hahahaha some of the most arrogant, boorish and less creative people come from these institutions that promote lectures and memorization from old, "know-it-all," tenured teachers who cannot tie their shoe or boil water. Man cannot fix man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California