Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,764,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We spend too much time focusing on things we disagree with and not enough time building on our commonalities.
There's a lot more money to be made fomenting disagreement in this country.

Unfortunately, it has the consequence of fooling so many people that whack-jobs get elected at an accelerating pace, such that they can (attempt to) claim voter approval of utter nonsense and insanity (US House of Reps, anybody?). Even the Supreme Court has lurched suspiciously towards partisanship, which should be of great concern to the electorate...if they're paying attention. Allowing states to deny citizens their civil rights ain't out of the question, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
There's a lot more money to be made fomenting disagreement in this country.

Unfortunately, it has the consequence of fooling so many people that whack-jobs get elected at an accelerating pace, such that they can (attempt to) claim voter approval of utter nonsense and insanity (US House of Reps, anybody?). Even the Supreme Court has lurched suspiciously towards partisanship, which should be of great concern to the electorate...if they're paying attention. Allowing states to deny citizens their civil rights ain't out of the question, unfortunately.
And the slow decline of Rome 2.0 continues.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,542,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarson View Post
This could be really interesting.

At the minimum I expect them to strike down the federal law prohibiting the recognition of same-sex marriages, but they could overturn all state and federal laws.

In the past the Supreme Court has taken up such cases only after a number of states have moved to make policy in the direction the court is likely to move. Women's suffrage on a national level wasn't taken up until states were already allowing women to vote.

The funny thing is that in the California case the court would have to strike down a state law and in the New York case it would have to uphold a state law and strike down the federal one.
Do you think they will rule prop 8 unconstitutional, or uphold it?

I imagine they would overturn clause 3 of DOMA as unconstitutional, since it limits state's rights, possibly violating the 10th Amendment.

If they uphold prop 8 how long would it be until it is up for a vote again?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Do you think they will rule prop 8 unconstitutional, or uphold it?

I imagine they would overturn clause 3 of DOMA as unconstitutional, since it limits state's rights, possibly violating the 10th Amendment.

If they uphold prop 8 how long would it be until it is up for a vote again?
They could also not rule on it at all. Pro 8 is one of two cases regarding same sex marriage at the supreme court.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 AM

1,318 posts, read 3,542,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
They could also not rule on it at all. Pro 8 is one of two cases regarding same sex marriage at the supreme court.
Yeah, the other case is regarding clause 3 of DOMA.

If prop 8 is upheld by the Supreme Court, I imagine it would be up for a vote again in 2014 or 2016, I imagine both sides would spend at least $30M again. I suppose this will increase ad buy costs in the state, much like I think the gubernatorial race in 2010 probably increased ad buy costs.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:31 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,424,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
And the slow decline of Rome 2.0 continues.
Doesn't seem so slow to me!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
Yeah, the other case is regarding clause 3 of DOMA.

If prop 8 is upheld by the Supreme Court, I imagine it would be up for a vote again in 2014 or 2016, I imagine both sides would spend at least $30M again. I suppose this will increase ad buy costs in the state, much like I think the gubernatorial race in 2010 probably increased ad buy costs.
You're right about that. Over the last two decades what went from unthinkable is now inevitable.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Doesn't seem so slow to me!
I hope you know what I meant by that.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:50 PM

28 posts, read 41,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I don't disagree with equal rights and protections under the law. In 2013 there's no reason I can think of to deny someone access to their partner that might be dying in a hospital because they are not blood relations. That is heartless.

We spend too much time focusing on things we disagree with and not enough time building on our commonalities.

I don't think most people, even most prop 8 supporters, would disagree with me on the issue of rights and protections.
Exactly. There's certain protections/benefits that marriage provides i.e. regarding taxes/insurance rates/hospital visitation/military/death benefits...etc. which is why I think marriage is so important in the legal sense.

I will add just on a personal level, a close friend just had a marriage ceremony with her longtime partner in CA. Having lived outside of CA for yrs. I actually had to look up whether marriage was legal for gay couples & I was disappointed to see it wasn't. They have been together since college, bought a house together, are looking into adopting. I've heard several arguments against gay marriage but I just don't get how people believe her relationship is any less loving or valid than my marriage.

I also heard a news report recently that if Prop. 8 was voted on today in CA it would not pass. I agree just based on the opinions of family/friends who live in the state but I'm curious what others think.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,764,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillypie View Post
I've heard several arguments against gay marriage but I just don't get how people believe her relationship is any less loving or valid than my marriage.
Like the old 'marriage is only for those who procreate' babble? This one can be debated without even getting into any LGBT issues. Ever a fun subject to broach with the old relatives at the holiday dinner table
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California