Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:27 AM

767 posts, read 1,739,964 times

Advertisements

I'm sure we're all eager to pay more taxation to reward irresponsible people for having the children they could never have been able to feed.

Quote:
this bill would increase
county duties by potentially expanding the eligible population, and
would thereby impose a state-mandated local program.
The more people on CalFresh, the better! Yay!

Quote:
waive the CalFresh gross income test for any individual who is categorically eligible for
CalFresh and who is a member of a household that receives, or is eligible to receive, medical assistance under the Medi-Cal program
I'm just glad taxes are going to be raised to fund all this because I want to do my part in rewarding irresponsible people for having the children they could never have been able to feed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 11:34 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,383,157 times
OMG , this sounds terrible. WHY WHY are we ENCOURAGING people to have kids they can't afford.

It sends a terrible message.

A lot of these programs were put into place during really bad times like the Great Depression as a social safety net.

These programs were intended as TEMPORARY help in bad times or when people were going through bad times.

The problem now is that people KNOW they can't afford to have kids but they KNOW that they WILL get money to pay for them.

If people can't have kids in California...shouldn't they move to a more affordable state where they can afford to have them?

It might not even be the COSTS of these programs that is the real bad thing..but just the message it sends .

Old 04-06-2013, 03:30 PM

21,668 posts, read 16,200,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I'm just glad taxes are going to be raised to fund all this because I want to do my part in rewarding irresponsible people for having the children they could never have been able to feed.
Thank you for your compassion. It is people like you who make the world go round and each day a little brighter and more bearable for those less enlightened than folks like yourself. Kudos.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:39 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,111,447 times
These safety nets are becoming a lifestyle for a certain segment of the population.

Stock up on guns and ammo, because zombies will be real when local, state and federal governments pull back the purse strings in Greek like fashion.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 PM

171 posts, read 529,695 times
I'll bet you'd gladly feed a stray dog but you don't have the heart to help children get enough food to eat. It shouldn't matter who a hungry child's parents are just that they're hungry. People who have more than enough to feed themselves should share with these little ones. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
OMG , this sounds terrible. WHY WHY are we ENCOURAGING people to have kids they can't afford.

It sends a terrible message.

A lot of these programs were put into place during really bad times like the Great Depression as a social safety net.

These programs were intended as TEMPORARY help in bad times or when people were going through bad times.

The problem now is that people KNOW they can't afford to have kids but they KNOW that they WILL get money to pay for them.

If people can't have kids in California...shouldn't they move to a more affordable state where they can afford to have them?

It might not even be the COSTS of these programs that is the real bad thing..but just the message it sends .

Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,385,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linden52 View Post
I'll bet you'd gladly feed a stray dog but you don't have the heart to help children get enough food to eat. It shouldn't matter who a hungry child's parents are just that they're hungry. People who have more than enough to feed themselves should share with these little ones. Just my opinion.
How many hungry people did you invite to dinner tonight?

Old 04-06-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
How many hungry people did you invite to dinner tonight?
One. (besides myself) How about you?

Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
These safety nets are becoming a lifestyle for a certain segment of the population.

Stock up on guns and ammo, because zombies will be real when local, state and federal governments pull back the purse strings in Greek like fashion.
If you think it's such a great lifestyle why don't you line up for it?

Old 04-07-2013, 10:19 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,111,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
If you think it's such a great lifestyle why don't you line up for it?
I know where my work boots are, and I'm not a democrat! Thus not qualified.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:14 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,486,816 times
My nephew and his wife got a divorce a little over a year ago. My nephew went off the deep end with drug use (under the influence in public) and ended up in jail for a few months and then rehab. He will have his record expunged at the end of a probation period (think it ends next fall), but in the meantime he can't buy a job. He has a nine year old son and lives with his 67 year old mother (my oldest sister) who's on Social Security. Because of his child he qualifies for $200 a month food stamps (or CalFresh - whatever its called now). While I'm really disappointed with him, I don't begrudge him getting the aid because of his child - the boy needs to eat and my sister can't support all of the on $1200 a month.

I don't expect them to get it forever (before his divorce and subsequent meltdown/trouble with the law he had a decent job and was making around 50K a year), but in the meantime I don't think his son should have to suffer and go hungry. Should all of his extended family chip in to support them? Well, we already have helped a lot - I gave my sister an 8 year old Mazda when her old car died during this time (there's no way she could replace it right now) plus my mother is always giving them $100 here and a $100 there. We don't live in society where it's completely dog-eat-dog yet and I don't expect my nephew will collect CalFresh for his son until he's 18. Yes, he did a stupid thing and is paying for it, but I expect he will get back on his feet in the next year or so (and start paying all those taxes he used to pay).

There are always people who feel that there should be no social programs and no aid of any kind to the poor, but there are real people behind these statistics. Not everyone is going to make a "lifestyle" out of it and just need a helping hand for a time to get back on their feet. I'm not a big fan of just giving people money to spend any way they wish (welfare/AFDC), but I have no issue with CalFresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: