Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,374 times

Advertisements

Thank you very much for all your answers! I found them really helpful.

I checked every location you mentioned and liked San Diego the most, but Santa Barbara and Irvine also seem to be great. Monterey looks picturesque and very peaceful but the weather is sadly not so warm. San Diego is very nice because from what I read it has both urban and vacation characteristics and isn't as polluted as Los Angeles. The weather is thought to be the best and there are both beaches and mountains nearby. Farmer's market and health stores are also present so I guess this is my dream location.

Still, I could be wrong, so I wanted to ask some additional questions. I checked the cost of renting a room and found out that Irvine is the most expensive place, whereas San Diego and Santa Barbara seem to be similar, although it looks like it's easier to find a better deal in San Diego. Does anyone have information about where the cost of living would be the most and least expensive? I assume that things like groceries have a smilar cost in all these locations, but what about eating out, culture and entertainment? By these, I mean cafes, museums and concerts. And what about shopping? Are there shopping malls in Irvine and Santa Barbara or do you have to drive out of the city?

The last question I would like to ask is: which city is the most bike friendly or has the best public transport? I will probably have a car, but I don't want to use it everytime I have to go somewhere. I enjoy active lifestyle and would like to take advantage of the beautiful weather. I am used to walking on foot a lot and biking about 25 miles a day.

As for supplementing my income which MAXIALE02 mentioned I would be eager to teach french and spanish and babysitt. Unfortunately, I heard that international students are allowed to work only on campus for maximum 20 hours a week and they can start only in the second year of their college education. Any work besides that is considered illegal. Is that right? Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you for making time to help me! I really, really appreciate it! Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
De Anza College is the most sought-after CC people in Silicon Valley go to if they intend to transfer to a four-year university. Nice big campus with lots of trees, a great many foreign students, over the hill from the beach at Santa Cruz, near many bike trails, has a VTA bus hub which is used extensively by students, has a huge Whole Foods across the street, several shopping malls in the area, and is in the nice side of the valley, which happens to have some of the best weather in the state (300+ sunny days/year).

Welcome to De Anza College
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California