Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

u can make it here but u must think small and smart.
more like the french than the swaggering john wayne approach to life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint100 View Post
I feel his pain. A biggie for me was buying a house in an area within an hour of my job and in a place I felt fit enough to raise my family in. I made a good wage in California but I was not going to spend half a million on a home (that's just the average asking price I ran into). Already having a home out there is the ticket LOL I also didn't want to have to depend on making close to six figures or above to afford mortgage and everything else.

I said all that because I think that may be OPs POV also.
You can buy perfectly nice homes in perfectly nice places all over California for $150K and less. You set your sights on a specific high cost neighborhood and now call that California.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:53 PM

139 posts, read 300,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You can buy perfectly nice homes in perfectly nice places all over California for $150K and less. You set your sights on a specific high cost neighborhood and now call that California.
Within one hour of my previous job in neighborhoods I prefer to raise my family in....no I can't. You're killin me saying that LOL You're definition of a nice home might be found somewhere under 150K, but I know for a fact there is nothing out there for me under 150K. I've traveled all over California and most of the places I wouldn't even visit, if it weren't for my job, let alone live. Your standards are yours and others have theirs LOL Besides if someone is looking for lower housing how can their sights be set on a high cost neighborhood? That doesn't make sense to me.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint100 View Post
Within one hour of my previous job in neighborhoods I prefer to raise my family in....no I can't. You're killin me saying that LOL You're definition of a nice home might be found somewhere under 150K, but I know for a fact there is nothing out there for me under 150K. I've traveled all over California and most of the places I wouldn't even visit, if it weren't for my job, let alone live. Your standards are yours and others have theirs LOL Besides if someone is looking for lower housing how can their sights be set on a high cost neighborhood? That doesn't make sense to me.
Figured that'd draw you out. Lots of things wouldn't make sense to your material preconceptions of worth and value.

You post here from Colorado making generalizations oriented to your narrow view of desirability. My definition of a nice home floats and costs $10K or less. You are obviously a follower of market conditioning that says happiness requires money to spend on fluff. You look down your nose at what most people in the world would find a gift. And you appear to believe you deserve a loftier station than others in life for some reason. The world can't support 7 billion people living in McMansions. But you are special.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,640 times
Quote:
You look down your nose at what most people in the world would find a gift. And you appear to believe you deserve a loftier station than others in life for some reason.
Speaking for myself, of course there are certain areas of California that offer a lower cost of living. But, like sprint, I wouldn't want to live there. For me it's about safety, not "status". There is nothing wrong with wanting to live in a neighborhood that's safe and doesn't have a sex offender living around every corner...

Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Speaking for myself, of course there are certain areas of California that offer a lower cost of living. But, like sprint, I wouldn't want to live there. For me it's about safety, not "status". There is nothing wrong with wanting to live in a neighborhood that's safe and doesn't have a sex offender living around every corner...
I'm glad you brought this up. Please note that I made my claim of lots of affordability in "perfectly nice homes in perfectly nice places". As in low crime. Good access. Nice surroundings. I suspect you have bought into a lot of illusion. Just riding the wave of cultural marketing.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Someone said that housing in Concord is extremely affordable, not at all like the rest of the Bay Area. And this is within walking distance of a very nice downtown, and the BART station, they said. You just need to know where to look.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Someone said that housing in Concord is extremely affordable, not at all like the rest of the Bay Area. And this is within walking distance of a very nice downtown, and the BART station, they said. You just need to know where to look.
Yeah, right.....$150k

Old 04-15-2013, 08:19 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
People don't generally live in California for financial benefits, you pay a premium for the quality of life it offers. California offers things that money can't buy - perfect weather, access to nature, and open-minded people. If those things aren't important to you, then of course, move.
This is why I moved to California 3 months ago.

If I stay (and it's going well)...

I'll never own a home, probably never own a car again, never have cable, rarely get to go out to eat, and never have kids.

Pretty much all the stuff I could have if I stayed in Ohio.

However, once a week I'm falling asleep on the beach. For me, a 30 minute nap to the sound of waves trumps all.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 AM

139 posts, read 300,604 times
Quote:
Figured that'd draw you out.
Ahhh, so you're motive is to try to get under people's skin and talk ish.

Quote:
You are obviously a follower of market conditioning that says happiness requires money to spend on fluff.
If that were the case then my wife would be in a Lexus SUV and I'd be in a G37

Quote:
You look down your nose at what most people in the world would find a gift.
You seem to be upset

Quote:
And you appear to believe you deserve a loftier station than others in life for some reason.
I have standards for everything in life, including where I place my family. Do you have standards?

You crack me up Tulemutt!!!!!!!

Edit - Are you on California's Visitor/Tourist board or do you wish you moved to another state along time ago because you have seemed to make it your mission to find a target then blast him/her on their POV of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California