Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 PM

12 posts, read 38,907 times

Advertisements

Milk tea with tapioca pearls is a very popular drink in California, especially around universities and Asian communities, but people call it a variety of different names: pearl milk tea (abbrev. PMT), boba, bubble tea, etc. Personally, I've always called it boba back in SoCal, but when I moved up, I heard it being called PMT.

I want to hear your opinion: Where are you from and what do you call this delicious beverage? (The opinions of non-Californians are welcome as well; just be sure to say what state or country you're from.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,158,957 times
I'm from So Cal and I call it boba. Most everyone I know from here calls it boba (Asian and otherwise). I've seen it listed on menus as Pearl Milk Tea or just Milk Tea (add boba). I have a friend from New York who calls it Bubble Tea.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:51 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,831,613 times
The original name is pearl milk tea--a direct translation of the Chinese name. It's a drink originated in Taiwan around the early-'90s.

When pearl milk tea got to SoCal in the mid-'90s, it was called boba milk tea.

Back then, I had friends from Hong Kong who would be puzzled why it was called boba in SoCal because the drink was also called pearl milk tea in HK (like in Taiwan).

Bubble tea is an even more Americanized version of the name.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM

6,400 posts, read 8,225,777 times
It's actually REALLY bad for you. LOTS of toxins/chemicals in boba pearls...

Old 04-08-2013, 03:41 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,831,613 times
I am sure if the store uses cheap suppliers, then there could be questionable substances in the tapioca.

Just go to reputable stores that specialize in teas and dessert drinks and it should be fine.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:24 PM

222 posts, read 434,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNorCal View Post
Milk tea with tapioca pearls is a very popular drink in California, especially around universities and Asian communities,
You don't say? I've never heard of the stuff. Sounds seriously strange, tapioca pearl tea? For real? Must be a university crowd and Asian town thing, like you say. Just keep it away from me, lol!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,018,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNorCal View Post
Milk tea with tapioca pearls is a very popular drink in California, especially around universities and Asian communities, but people call it a variety of different names: pearl milk tea (abbrev. PMT), boba, bubble tea, etc. Personally, I've always called it boba back in SoCal, but when I moved up, I heard it being called PMT.

I want to hear your opinion: Where are you from and what do you call this delicious beverage? (The opinions of non-Californians are welcome as well; just be sure to say what state or country you're from.)
In Maryland, my experience is that it's most often called bubble tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California