Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,474,742 times

Advertisements

Every now and then I see a thread asking something like this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...where-air.html

Or this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...a-dreamin.html

Once again I want scream that LA is not all of CA. Also Urban CA is like 3% of CA. Is Yosemite or Tahoe smog filled? What about Chico, Redding, San Francisco? SLO and Monterey? Not to mention 95% of the state.

Expensive? Sure if you want to live in the Bay Area, LA or San Diego, but what about the other 97% of the CA landmass. I live in CA and the median home price in my area is $165K and it is a desirable area.

Am I the only one who is annoyed at stereotypes or short sighted urban types who have no clue what life is like south of San Jose or outside of Greater LA?

I live in CA and it snows at my house four months of the year. No Palm Trees in sight and the ocean is 200 miles away. Four seasons and what is this smog of which you speak?

Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,775,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Am I the only one who is annoyed at stereotypes or short sighted urban types who have no clue what life is like south of San Jose or outside of Greater LA?
Many people are convinced they have to earn boatloads of dough just to exist in this state. So they go to where the job centers are, work themselves to the bone, die slow death in long commutes, pass out, wake up, do it again.

So, no, they don't have a clue what life is like beyond the worn path between Point A (house in the burbs) and Point B (office far from house in burbs). But hey, maybe one day they'll save up enough to get an even bigger house even farther out in the burbs...with an even longer commute...dying a slower, longer death...uh, um, hmmm . Is this Keeping Up With the Joneses thing really worth it anymore?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,051,411 times
There is truth to every stereotype, but I get what you are saying too. California is large and diverse as it is gets lumped into categories, when it really has a huge variety of lifestyles to offer.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 PM

687 posts, read 1,487,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Many people are convinced they have to earn boatloads of dough just to exist in this state. So they go to where the job centers are, work themselves to the bone, die slow death in long commutes, pass out, wake up, do it again.

So, no, they don't have a clue what life is like beyond the worn path between Point A (house in the burbs) and Point B (office far from house in burbs). But hey, maybe one day they'll save up enough to get an even bigger house even farther out in the burbs...with an even longer commute...dying a slower, longer death...uh, um, hmmm . Is this Keeping Up With the Joneses thing really worth it anymore?
It used to be considered a long commute if people here in Palm Springs worked in Riverside. Now, we have more and more people making the commute to LA DAILY! These people are looking at a day that's 5am-8pm, on average. I can't imagine what kind of job would make that worthwhile.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 PM

139 posts, read 299,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
There is truth to every stereotype, but I get what you are saying too. California is large and diverse as it is gets lumped into categories, when it really has a huge variety of lifestyles to offer.
Very true. Everybody doesn't desire to live in places like central California and those areas aren't what most dream of when they think of California. Let's not fool ourselves, in those urban and picturesque areas it does take more money than most other areas out of state and contrary to what others may think my job has taken me all over California. Extended stays from the border of Mexico to Cambria to Sacramento and further north.

California isn't a bad place unless you hate it. Some love it, others don't, and others just grow tired of it.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 PM

21,604 posts, read 16,097,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint100 View Post
California isn't a bad place unless you hate it. Some love it, others don't, and others just grow tired of it.
And many misrepresent it. One wonders about that when it has an appearance of an agenda. What's the return on investment in cases where so many grind away at the state - especially falsely as is pointed out by the OP?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:36 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,453,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Every now and then I see a thread asking something like this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...where-air.html

Or this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...a-dreamin.html

Once again I want scream that LA is not all of CA. Also Urban CA is like 3% of CA. Is Yosemite or Tahoe smog filled? What about Chico, Redding, San Francisco? SLO and Monterey? Not to mention 95% of the state.

Expensive? Sure if you want to live in the Bay Area, LA or San Diego, but what about the other 97% of the CA landmass. I live in CA and the median home price in my area is $165K and it is a desirable area.

I live in CA and it snows at my house four months of the year. No Palm Trees in sight and the ocean is 200 miles away. Four seasons and what is this smog of which you speak?

Rant over.
What's the unemployment rate for your neck of the woods?
What businesses are moving to your area?
A lot of people would hate snow four months out of the year.

And, even if they found a nice job, chances are, should they get laid off, it would be a lot more difficult to have a Plan B job without moving. In job dense places like LA and SF, if you lose your job, there's a much better chance you can find another one without moving.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint100 View Post
Everybody doesn't desire to live in places like central California and those areas aren't what most dream of when they think of California. Let's not fool ourselves, in those urban and picturesque areas it does take more money than most other areas out of state
Yes. And lots of people dream of fame and fortune more than there is fame and fortune to be had. And thenspend much of their lives trying to emulate the trappings of what they can't afford. Leads to a lot of bitter mumbling doesn't it?

Yet even a poor soul can find ways to live nicely in highly desirable areas, if they are creative. Not too hard to live close by at the fringes either. I've done it in California for 47 years. Now very nicely retired. GED high school diploma, no college, no high-tech career. Worker bee.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

And, even if they found a nice job, chances are, should they get laid off, it would be a lot more difficult to have a Plan B job without moving. In job dense places like LA and SF, if you lose your job, there's a much better chance you can find another one without moving.
The OP's working out there. Lots of people who live in the other 95% of the state are working 'out there". A person is allowed to focus first on where he wants to live in what manner - and then find a way to make that happen. Rather than sign up for a life of being what other people need you to be. In the city.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,327,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

And that $165k house sounds great until you find out the median income is $45k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California