Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,061 times

Advertisements

I live in a Northeast community that is considering some kind of ban on leaf blowers. Although there is almost complete agreement that leaf blowers are a curse, there is a great deal of concern about the increase in cost of having your lawn services not use leaf blowers.

We wonder what has happened in other communities that banned leaf blowers.

1. Did prices increase? If so, how much?

2. What tools and techniques are the lawn services using when they cannot use leaf blowers?

Your responses will be much appreciated and will give us guidance on how to approach the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 12:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Blower Researcher View Post
I live in a Northeast community that is considering some kind of ban on leaf blowers. Although there is almost complete agreement that leaf blowers are a curse, there is a great deal of concern about the increase in cost of having your lawn services not use leaf blowers.

2. What tools and techniques are the lawn services using when they cannot use leaf blowers?

Your responses will be much appreciated and will give us guidance on how to approach the problem.
The bans were ignored to varying degrees.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:44 PM

615 posts, read 666,321 times
There are lawn services that use all electric tools! I stopped a gardener in his truck to chit-chat near the car charger (I have a Volt) in Ojai, CA because he had a trailer with a solar panel on top. His mower, weed whacker, blower, etc all use batteries. Are electric leaf blowers banned?

Old 06-14-2015, 09:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Blower Researcher View Post

I realize that this goes way back to the dark ages but in the days of old when serfs were bold and blowers had not been invented they raked their load onto the road and walked away contented.

The root, operative word is, "rake!"

Old 06-14-2015, 09:41 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I hate the sound of leaf blowers, and I also hate that the gardeners who use them, generally blow away all top soil and mulch. They're definitely a curse not only to the ears, but to the garden.

That said, I haven't had to deal with any ordinances that banned them. But, I like the idea of at least having them use electric blowers.

I know in some areas, they are regulated as to what days of the week and times of day they can use them.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:43 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
While gas leaf blowers were banned LAPD doesn't enforce the ban leaving it to civilian government employees. The workers manning the illegal equipment tend to come from a politically protected class, and contact is avoided.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:45 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
While gas leaf blowers were banned LAPD doesn't enforce the ban leaving it to civilian government employees. The workers manning the illegal equipment tend to come from a politically protected class, and contact is avoided.
Illegals using illegal equipment illegally.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:56 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
What drives me batty about most if not all of the "mow and blow" outfits is the fact that they are doing more to foment top soil loss than Mother Nature could do during the Dust Bowl years. Granted we are talking about limited loss in developed areas, but still ...

It seems such outfits love there to be caliche right at the surface everywhere there is no vegetation. It might as well be rock. Anything loose is gone in a flash (and in the air ... for me and everyone else to breathe in). I wonder if they could be sued by people suffering from Valley Fever?

Old 06-15-2015, 01:57 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I hate the sound of leaf blowers, and I also hate that the gardeners who use them, generally blow away all top soil and mulch. They're definitely a curse not only to the ears, but to the garden.

That said, I haven't had to deal with any ordinances that banned them. But, I like the idea of at least having them use electric blowers.

I know in some areas, they are regulated as to what days of the week and times of day they can use them.
Especially a bad thing, considering the drought.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:01 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Illegals using illegal equipment illegally.
If you don't like it, stop hiring them. Even the city employs them. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California