Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
Sounds like a good idea.
Well, it's the *least bad* idea anyway.

The alternatives are: continue the "catch and release" cycle, which costs us all a fortune and solves nothing; or give him a gift card to BevMo and encourage him to drink himself to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 01:07 PM

536 posts, read 573,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Well, it's the *least bad* idea anyway.

The alternatives are: continue the "catch and release" cycle, which costs us all a fortune and solves nothing; or give him a gift card to BevMo and encourage him to drink himself to death.
That's the conclusion I came to basically. Diversionary program into such a place through the courts, with the option to also voluntarily self-admit if desired.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 PM

159 posts, read 646,381 times
Horrible. There are homeless that aren't such by choice. I remember reading many articles during the recession about folks who lost their jobs, their homes, and were forced to live in their cars and such.

But seems like this law is not about protecting those types of folks or getting them help.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoson View Post
Horrible. There are homeless that aren't such by choice. I remember reading many articles during the recession about folks who lost their jobs, their homes, and were forced to live in their cars and such.

But seems like this law is not about protecting those types of folks or getting them help.

The number of homeless did increase because of the things you mentioned but there are programs out there now for many who are teetering on the edge of losing their homes. Just yesterday, another program available in Sacramento for people trying to save their home. All they need to do is bring the appropriate documents for a loan modification.

There are plenty of programs for first time buyers who want to purchase a home in California. Here's one: California Housing Finance Agency - Lenders/Realtors/Nonprofits

The law shouldn't be about protecting people from making stupid decisions - i.e. buying a house they cannot afford using a variable interest rate that will re-adjust at a higher rate in three years when their income doesn't increase enough to balance it. Trying to "keep up with the Jones" has been a problem with people for decades. If you cannot afford to buy it, don't buy it. Buy something you can afford. And when the bottom falls out, don't expect the government to bail you out. Recessions are inevitable but I think this last one caught the majority of Americans by surprise. Even me. I've been through five but none as bad as this last one. Did it hurt? You bet. Did I end up homeless? Fortunately, no. That's not to say it didn't adversely affect me.

As for programs out there to help ... they are there. People just have to look for them. Homeless through no fault of their own? There is help available and no one has to stay homeless forever but the ones who choose to be? They shouldn't be given carte blanche to panhandle on the streets.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I don't need to invent the better lightbulb. I protect and provide for society by being part of the solution and not the problem. I pay taxes; a large amount of taxes. I don't suck out the social programs of this state and expect more.

I arrest all sorts of people; homeless, not homeless, people with jobs, rich, poor, and everything in-between. And? This thread was and is about homeless people. MANY homeless people are nothing more then wastes of oxygen, who refuse to accept help. They DO NOT want your limp wristed, liberal help and refuse. MOST homeless people are drug addicts, alcoholics, and mental patients. The mental patients refuse to take their medications and self medicate with drugs and alcohol.

And no, after 24 years working in one of the worst homeless cities in the SF Bay Area, I have NEVER seen a homeless "family" or person who is "normal." Who just lost their job and cannot afford to make ends meet. EVERY SINGLE homeless person I have come across is a drunk, drug addicted, nut case. And the destroy whole communities with their abuse behavior toward everyone. They are nut cases, who walk into the local 7-11 and steal their sandwiches saying, "I was hungry. They owe me this." Oh its just a few dollars to you? You aren't the owner of that business who loses hundreds, thousands of dollars a month to all the homeless nut cases out there. You aren't the guy who has to deal with it everyday. You sit in your chair, have a few martini's and have weeks to decide what is right and wrong. These people live it everyday and they are TIRED of it. They call me; NOT YOU.

I have to deal with these people walking into Burger King and taking a dump on the floor. I have to deal with these people who scared the hell out of 9 yr old Jane, walking with her family into Lucky's, and some drunk, stoned, nutcase grabs her by the hair and tells her, "Give me your ipod *****." And she runs, SCREAMING, so loud people think she is being kidnapped calls 911. YOU are sheltered and be warm, cozy, and nice. YOU don't have to deal with the 9 yr olds mother and try to explain, "Oh. Its just a nut case. Don't worry." And she doesn't care. SHE wants the basket case in jail.

I dare you to show me all these "normal" homeless people in the SF Bay Area. SHOW me these people in San Francisco, Oakland, Hayward, etc. You can't and WILL NOT. However, I will show you thousands of persons, RIGHT NOW, TODAY, who suck up every social entitlement program we have. EVERY SINGLE dollar, social dollar, they will take.

Just yesterday, THREE times (this is just me) I dealt with a homeless drunks. MEN, so intoxicated they could not walk. Do you realize the resources for this? You don't. Two police officers, a fire engine (3 firefighters), and an ambulance (a paramedic and and emt; sometimes 2). You can't arrest a falling down drunk. Too much liability. So, you have to send them to the hospital to get medically cleared. Now you have nurses and doctors involved. Now I have to go get them, after being medically cleared and take them to jail. HOURS of this, for a drunk homeless person, who has absolutely no redeeming social value. NONE. MILLIONS of dollars, every year. Last week? I dealt with the same drunk 17 times. That is 17 times 2 cops, 3 firefighters, and the ambulance crew. PLUS the hospital. THAT is where your tax dollars are going.

This "man," read waste of oxygen, has been to rehab, more time then you have hair on your head. Last time I dealt with him, he was a .54. But keep on spending that money liberals. Its not yours.
Love your posts Phil. They way you embrace humanity inspires.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 PM

536 posts, read 573,642 times
I think Phil is right. Perhaps we ought to not pay his salary and just call it a day. If all he is doing is rousting drunks anyway. A .54 is pretty impressive though. He's not much longer for this earth I'd imagine if that's what he is pickled at routinely. Thanks for taking him to the hospital, Phil.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:22 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I don't need to invent the better lightbulb. I protect and provide for society by being part of the solution and not the problem. I pay taxes; a large amount of taxes. I don't suck out the social programs of this state and expect more.

I arrest all sorts of people; homeless, not homeless, people with jobs, rich, poor, and everything in-between. And? This thread was and is about homeless people. MANY homeless people are nothing more then wastes of oxygen, who refuse to accept help. They DO NOT want your limp wristed, liberal help and refuse. MOST homeless people are drug addicts, alcoholics, and mental patients. The mental patients refuse to take their medications and self medicate with drugs and alcohol.

And no, after 24 years working in one of the worst homeless cities in the SF Bay Area, I have NEVER seen a homeless "family" or person who is "normal." Who just lost their job and cannot afford to make ends meet. EVERY SINGLE homeless person I have come across is a drunk, drug addicted, nut case. And the destroy whole communities with their abuse behavior toward everyone. They are nut cases, who walk into the local 7-11 and steal their sandwiches saying, "I was hungry. They owe me this." Oh its just a few dollars to you? You aren't the owner of that business who loses hundreds, thousands of dollars a month to all the homeless nut cases out there. You aren't the guy who has to deal with it everyday. You sit in your chair, have a few martini's and have weeks to decide what is right and wrong. These people live it everyday and they are TIRED of it. They call me; NOT YOU.

I have to deal with these people walking into Burger King and taking a dump on the floor. I have to deal with these people who scared the hell out of 9 yr old Jane, walking with her family into Lucky's, and some drunk, stoned, nutcase grabs her by the hair and tells her, "Give me your ipod *****." And she runs, SCREAMING, so loud people think she is being kidnapped calls 911. YOU are sheltered and be warm, cozy, and nice. YOU don't have to deal with the 9 yr olds mother and try to explain, "Oh. Its just a nut case. Don't worry." And she doesn't care. SHE wants the basket case in jail.

I dare you to show me all these "normal" homeless people in the SF Bay Area. SHOW me these people in San Francisco, Oakland, Hayward, etc. You can't and WILL NOT. However, I will show you thousands of persons, RIGHT NOW, TODAY, who suck up every social entitlement program we have. EVERY SINGLE dollar, social dollar, they will take.

Just yesterday, THREE times (this is just me) I dealt with a homeless drunks. MEN, so intoxicated they could not walk. Do you realize the resources for this? You don't. Two police officers, a fire engine (3 firefighters), and an ambulance (a paramedic and and emt; sometimes 2). You can't arrest a falling down drunk. Too much liability. So, you have to send them to the hospital to get medically cleared. Now you have nurses and doctors involved. Now I have to go get them, after being medically cleared and take them to jail. HOURS of this, for a drunk homeless person, who has absolutely no redeeming social value. NONE. MILLIONS of dollars, every year. Last week? I dealt with the same drunk 17 times. That is 17 times 2 cops, 3 firefighters, and the ambulance crew. PLUS the hospital. THAT is where your tax dollars are going.

This "man," read waste of oxygen, has been to rehab, more time then you have hair on your head. Last time I dealt with him, he was a .54. But keep on spending that money liberals. Its not yours.
Phil Phil Phil ... I, too, simply love your posts ... the passion ... the hate is thrilling in a bit of a scary way [that you are paid to uphold the law and keep the peace].

OF COURSE "EVERY SINGLE homeless person [you] have come across is a drunk, drug addicted, nut case. " Phil. That's what you do for a living, brother ... deal with dregs and misfits and their victims. What reason would a guy like you have to interact with peaceful, law-abiding folks minding their own business best they can?

So anyway, Phil, here's the part I want to tell about now -- since you have shared your story so colorfully. You like to use the pronoun "YOU" a lot in your posts, accusing whomever you are responding to specifically, and most everybody else generically, of being jerk-wads ... especially "limp-wristed liberals". As you probably recall, I did a couple of tours in a war -- well, didn't get to finish the second tour as I was "invited" to a nice long stay in a lovely military hospital (in Oakland) ... but I digress. Of greater relation to this topic we are discussing, you and I, was my 8-year tenure as owner-operator of a retail store in a big city downtown. Grew to be a large-ish operation for its kind: buying and selling used merchandise: music instruments, electronics, video equipment, stereos, guns, knives, jewelry, tools ... you being a cop know what I am talking about.

Anyhow, to do business where the big city money was (and I really seriously turned some major cash doing this "buy low / sell high" bit) I had to, you know, deal with a lot of dregs. Dregs who were selling hot merchandise, dregs who were selling legitimate stuff to feed their habit and hide their pregnant girlfriends from their wives ... etc. etc. etc. And lots of other dregs liked to camp in my street vestibule. Yes, some of them pee'd there ... and some, pissed off with the way I dealt with them, came inside the store to pee on my floor -- in front of customers.

And sometimes, Phil, I held these characters-- who sold stolen merchandise (that I'd call in with serial numbers to the police computer system and get a hit) and harassed my customers -- physically in various wrestling holds, waiting for YOU guys to finish your donuts and amble over to take them away.

It was part of doing business, Phil. Comes with the territory. Retailers who can't handle it should better consider running a fruit stand on a quiet country highway weekends only.

Now, I gotta tell you Phil ... as unpleasant and aggravating as it was -- and here's the big secret I know about YOU -- back to the war thing? -- I kinda loved it ... on account of the adrenaline addiction I'd developed years before overseas. It's like an infection, isn't it brother? Applying force -- but having to control it so you don't get sued? Etc. Phil?

Eventually, after years of flying down the street in the middle of the night (I lived just two miles from the store) with my pistol and sawed off shotgun and 125-lb dog when the alarm company would call -- and often beating YOU guys to the place and turning my dog loose inside to clear the spaces -- and having guns pulled on me occasionally and me pulling my pistol and chasing the bad guys down the street in public like the shoot out at the OK Corral ... well, eventually Phil, I realized I was just dealing with a small slice of humanity ... and it wasn't healthy ... and I moved on.

Good luck in your retirement. Take advantage of the Prozac Rx and go fishing. Enjoy. You got a bad case brother.

No. They're NOT all "drunk, drug addicted, nut cases", Phil.
Most of them aren't. Just the ones you have to deal with.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The problem with liberals is that they all suffer from ADHD. It is impossible to discuss any issue without them jumping all over the place in some futile effort to excuse one wrong by identifying another. By the way I am not bullying anyone, I simply do not want to support the sh*t bum lifestyle.
jim, there's no ADHD jumping all over the place about it. You having been making accusations based on unfounded, over-simplified stereotyping. As you are corrected, with specifics and links to proofs, you fail to acknowledge the true complexities -- which include that a major cause of today's homelessness rests with the immoral social and financial manipulations of a very wealthy class of sociopaths -- which sociopaths could also easily fund the solutions to the problem with the money they have stolen from us all.

You were also asked previously which of three solutions did you advocate:
1. doing nothing - which will leave the problem "in your face"
2. funding solutions
3. rounding up all the homeless and killing them

No answer yet, jim.

And, as a 'by-the-way' bonus, I point out that you, and folks hollering like you about all this is costing you, are bullying little people without a pot to pi** in ... and that if your complaint is about feeling ripped off, you ought to go to where the real rip offs are -- because welfare expenditures aren't spit by comparison.

Hey, did you know that everyday, working, property-owning Americans perpetrate the biggest crime against our national budget every year? Yep sir ... well over $300 billion a year in tax fraud and evasion. I assume you are straight up on yours?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Thank you for saving me from a lot of typing! There are services currently available for those that chose to use them and if they don't, well, that's their choice isn't it?
I think you do not realize how convoluted and obscure the options, and their navigation, can be typically. There are NOT enough beds and rooms and meals and services, actually. And getting into the programs typically entails a waiting list -- IF one can even figure out which one is qualified for and get assistance.

If there were plenty of services -- we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I have mentioned previously a few people I have assisted. An example: a well educated, intelligent, very likable, computer systems analyst whose personal life (marriage, kid) turned sour. Over a period of some years, his self-medication with alcohol took over his life. He lost most of his clients (he was self-employed) and eventually lost his apartment. He had been a Vietnam era draftee who opposed the war but served, honorably, when called.

Because he never shipped overseas and did his service at Ft. Ord and Ft. Lawton (Seattle), he assumed he had no further VA benefits. Before he lost his apartment, I counseled him multiple times on how to challenge the eviction (he had enough money to pay but had been late several times so management served him notice). Trying to deal with the red-tape, he got so frustrated he broke down under the pressure of his whole situation. He was suicidal (seriously, gun in hand). He didn't believe me when I referred him to VA services. Weeks went by. He ended up on the streets in his car, which broke down and couldn't drive. Finally I led him into VA counseling.

He is sober (long time now). He is working again and has income. He is leaving transitional housing and has VASH vouchers (housing) to get him re-established in a new home until he is stable financially.

He is happy again (no more pistol in hand). He is a very worthy person. He now contributes a great deal of time to homeless volunteer work. He is grateful. At his worst, he never stole a dime, or pee'd on anyone's floor, or harassed anyone on the streets. He was invisible to you all.

Point?

There are at least hundreds (if not thousands) of David's for every nullgeo volunteer.

You folks on the outside of this issue do not know what goes on inside -- unless you choose to come inside and help.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:47 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
jim, there's no ADHD jumping all over the place about it. You having been making accusations based on unfounded, over-simplified stereotyping. As you are corrected, with specifics and links to proofs, you fail to acknowledge the true complexities -- which include that a major cause of today's homelessness rests with the immoral social and financial manipulations of a very wealthy class of sociopaths -- which sociopaths could also easily fund the solutions to the problem with the money they have stolen from us all.

You were also asked previously which of three solutions did you advocate:
1. doing nothing - which will leave the problem "in your face"
2. funding solutions
3. rounding up all the homeless and killing them

No answer yet, jim.

And, as a 'by-the-way' bonus, I point out that you, and folks hollering like you about all this is costing you, are bullying little people without a pot to pi** in ... and that if your complaint is about feeling ripped off, you ought to go to where the real rip offs are -- because welfare expenditures aren't spit by comparison.

Hey, did you know that everyday, working, property-owning Americans perpetrate the biggest crime against our national budget every year? Yep sir ... well over $300 billion a year in tax fraud and evasion. I assume you are straight up on yours?
I am not arguing that people at the top of the food chain steal from the public. But to say that is the cause of homelessness is simply ignorant.

The wealthy have always stolen from the public, and it is not a new phenomenon, sh*t bums lying in their own vomit on public sidewalks is a fairly new phenomena. It is phenomena that did not exist prior to the 70's, and the escalation of the welfare state.

Like most *******s you have a tendency to equate correlation with causation because you have no real understanding of why things happen. This is a result of trying to think with your feelings instead of your mind. In fact you have been taught to do so by the socialist educational system, but that is another issue.

The homeless problem is not a byproduct of people at the top stealing money, it is a byproduct of the liberals stealing money from the productive class and rewarding people in the non-productive class for failure.

A perfect example is the black family, who survived centuries of slavery and generations of Jim Crow,
but was disintegrated in the wake of the liberals' expansion of the welfare state.
Most black children grew up in homes with two parents during all that time prior to welfare, but most grew up with only one parent afterwards due to the "pseudo compassionate" after the implementation of the welfare get paid for failure scheme.
The effects of this catastrophic failure can still be seen in the ghettos and projects of the liberal cities of the northeast today.
And yet liberals continue to ignore the fact that you cannot help people by enabling them to live succumbing to their own degradation. You help people by making them stand up and fight to survive with dignity.
If they refuse to do so, then yes you let them die, because death is surly preferable to a life of self-loathing and humiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California