Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 6,253 times

Advertisements

Pardon my language. I'm just expressing some of the cultural shock that I've been experiencing since moving back to the small town of Modesto in which I'd spent a few years growing up (late 1980s-early 1990s). My husband was laid off from his job and we wanted to flee the high COL present in our former city, San Diego. We're still in our early 30s and decided to stop complaining and move.

We saw the housing prices in the Modesto, I remembered my own idyllic experience there as a child and wanting to give that to my own children, we decided to move. We were somewhat assured because we had family moving back to the area as well. We decided to share housing with said family while becoming better acclimated to the area--jobs, schools, best neighborhoods, etc. I am traditionally educated (BA & beginning grad school) and he is well experienced in his trade which is still in demand in metro areas. We knew that in terms of employment we might need to look either closer into the bay area or Sacramento. We thought we'd keep our expenses down until we found employment even if it meant a commute and enjoy the lower COL. We are currently living on our savings and I will admit that has been easier to do here than in SD.

I pictured the same somewhat bucolic, overall SAFE, very middle class setting of my childhood. I admit I was lost in the fantasy. We are African American and I will also admit that when I would hear people mention issues of safety(with no actual crime stats), I would think that maybe they were using "safety concerns" as a euphemism for just an increase of brown faces with no real issues present.

I feel like a fool: the gang activity is beyond anything I've ever experienced and I lived close to LA county AND in a major city of over 1 million people. We took my daughter to the emergency room last night with an acute respiratory issues and even in the private hospital there was a gang scuffle! We currently live in a "nice" part of the city but there really is no "nice" part of the city (Northwest?). Everyone seems so poor--there is NO middle class that I can see. The air quality has caused my husband's latent asthma to become an issue and we all have upper respiratory infections. There are no community/ family activities to distract from the general misery. A "maybe" we might have a long commute has turned into a definite in terms of jobs. Everyone has tattoos and looks like they're extras from that Sons of Anarchy show or holdovers from 1980s East LA. The elementary schools? Don't get me started.

We moved from a nice condo with an incredible view in a very affluent area with incredible schools four miles from the beach to this?!?! We lost our MINDS! In truth, we were scared with the layoff and we always said we wouldn't stay in a pressure cooker situation allowing things to just happen to us--we'd move. What seemed to be such a take charge, "cool", and brave idea has turned out to be a stupid as hell decision. We bet the house--(actually sold the house) and we lost abysmally...what do I do? I feel trapped and now we are shy about moving again for fear of making a larger mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Welcome back to the Valley.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,529 times
As long as I've lived, I don't think I've ever read/heard anyone praise Modesto.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:10 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitheryonder View Post
I pictured the same somewhat bucolic, overall SAFE, very middle class setting of my childhood. I admit I was lost in the fantasy. We are African American and I will also admit that when I would hear people mention issues of safety(with no actual crime stats), I would think that maybe they were using "safety concerns" as a euphemism for just an increase of brown faces with no real issues present.
But now your eyes are open.

And you probably don't need an explanation about what happened because you're surrounded by the consequence.

So, what can you do? This time you can plan your next move more deliberately. Don't make assumptions about what a given metro area is like. More importantly, look at its trajectory.

If you really want a lower COL, you may want to look outside of CA. Many have and they've found both a lower COL and a higher QOL outside of this state's borders.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:28 PM

335 posts, read 517,817 times
Quote:
What in the Hell Happened to Modesto?
Illegal immigration, gangs and liberal politiks.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:56 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Yeah, blame it on liberal politics, that's a good scapegoat. ^^^ As opposed to conservative political economics that has been working hard to eliminate the middle class and lock people into the underclass.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:57 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
Quote:

I feel like a fool: the gang activity is beyond anything I've ever experienced and I lived close to LA county AND in a major city of over 1 million people. We took my daughter to the emergency room last night with an acute respiratory issues and even in the private hospital there was a gang scuffle! We currently live in a "nice" part of the city but there really is no "nice" part of the city (Northwest?). Everyone seems so poor--there is NO middle class that I can see. The air quality has caused my husband's latent asthma to become an issue and we all have upper respiratory infections. There are no community/ family activities to distract from the general misery. A "maybe" we might have a long commute has turned into a definite in terms of jobs. Everyone has tattoos and looks like they're extras from that Sons of Anarchy show or holdovers from 1980s East LA. The elementary schools? Don't get me started.
Buck up and tell yourself you aren't a fool. That is a positive step then look at the opportunities you do have. You are young and getting the education you need to succeed.

I have had relatives in Modesto for the last 30 years and i understand you very clearly. Modesto has been overtaken by another less civilized, polite culture.

If it is at all possible you might try the Santa Rosa area north of SF. It has some of the same feeling as "old" Modesto. Plus, you are closer to more big city amenities and lower housing costs. That is the first city that came to mind and there are many others that you can explore on this forum.

Try not to be too depressed but start researching a move to a place somewhat brighter!!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:05 PM

335 posts, read 517,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, blame it on liberal politics, that's a good scapegoat. ^^^ As opposed to conservative political economics that has been working hard to eliminate the middle class and lock people into the underclass.
Well, since I'm an AMERICAN and not a DumboRAT or a GOPher, I can't really comment on the insanity of conservative vs. liberal politiks in the USofA.

I Believe in a FREE economy without FRAUD; and RULE of LAW, i.e. STRICT protection of the Rights of ALL lawful citizens to Life, Health, Liberty and the pursuit of Property/Happiness.

Without a doubt, the HORRIFIC results of the DumboRAT/GOPher oligarchy speaks for itself, although the electorate doesn't seem to be listening and/or learning from the ongoing collapse of our social fabric and the general economy...

Last edited by Biz901; 04-30-2013 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 02:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
We saw the housing prices in the Modesto
But didn't connect the dots...

Quote:
I remembered my own idyllic experience there as a child and wanting to give that to my own children, we decided to move. I pictured the same somewhat bucolic, overall SAFE, very middle class setting of my childhood.
*cough* Thomas Wolfe

Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
I pictured the same somewhat bucolic, overall SAFE, very middle class setting of my childhood. I admit I was lost in the fantasy

..what do I do? I feel trapped and now we are shy about moving again for fear of making a larger mistake.
You are not trapped, unless you chose to be trapped.

Plan your next move. Research, visit.

Oakdale. Check it out. Might remind you of your childhood memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California