Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:03 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomBelle View Post
So I've read about the rotten air quality in and around Fresno with trepidation (moving there in June despite allergies, asthma, etc.). I happened to check the weather and saw that the NWS already is posting air-quality warnings for the area. OMG. Is this typical or is it early/fire related? It's not like Atlanta doesn't have code-red days, but not the first week of May.
Fresno and Bakersfield always rank 1 and 2 for worst air in the entire country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 11:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
I'm gonna have to go with the Docs and their answer here. "Maybe." What on earth do you think smog is composed of if not particulates?
Definition of SMOG

: a fog made heavier and darker by smoke and chemical fumes; also : a photochemical haze caused by the action of solar ultraviolet radiation on atmosphere polluted with hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen especially from automobile exhaust

Smog and particulates are two different things entirely. One is chemical content, and the other is particles of matter ranging from dust, to other form of particle matter.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:12 AM

604 posts, read 1,301,731 times
So I shoulda said particles.

Your advice is still not correct. And Doctors recommend filtration. It works well for some, and my son has asthma and does ok now.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:23 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Fresno and Bakersfield always rank 1 and 2 for worst air in the entire country.
Los Angeles/Riverside/San Bernardino are usually ahead of Fresno.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:14 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Los Angeles/Riverside/San Bernardino are usually ahead of Fresno.
They aren't, find me any reports that show it.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,845 times
Speaking of particles in the air, I just read about Valley Fever that I had never heard of before.

Fever hits thousands in parched West farm region - SFGate

Old 05-07-2013, 04:57 PM

97 posts, read 235,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmack308 View Post
Speaking of particles in the air, I just read about Valley Fever that I had never heard of before.

Fever hits thousands in parched West farm region - SFGate
Lovely.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Your advice is still not correct. And Doctors recommend filtration. It works well for some, and my son has asthma and does ok now.
You are right, filtration has it's place. The best is electronic filtration, and we have two of them that especially help when forest fire smoke drifts into our area, and cleans the air where is is easy to breath and you cannot even smell it. BUT, and that is a big but, filtration only takes out particles. It does nothing for smog which is another problem altogether, as there is nothing to take smog from the air. And smog is a major problem in that area.

Asthma problems depend on what the trigger is to cause asthma attacks. Asthma can be triggered by many causes, including particles in the air, cold, heat, smog, plant allergens, perfumes, etc. and many other causes. Each asthmatic has one or more triggers, that effect them. Fortunately apparently your son, has a trigger that filters will help and you are solving the problem. However filters only help some people, not anywhere near all.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:37 PM

604 posts, read 1,301,731 times
Quote:
Lovely.
Stay indoors when they plow, and in duststorms.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:17 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
They aren't, find me any reports that show it.
They are and you can Google just as easily as I did. Its not that difficult. Really.

Quote:
Lovely.
You may do better initially since you'll be away from many of the causes of your allergies in Georgia. I actually felt better in Fresno the short couple of years I lived there since I was away from the damp climate of San Francisco I grew up in (I'm allergic to a lot of soil born molds that thrive in a cool, damp climate). Keep the fingers crossed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California