Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:25 PM

118 posts, read 371,927 times

Advertisements

I'm sorely missing Florida's rear license plates only laws. I don't miss Florida, though (too hot!). It makes the front of the car look terrible. Now I have to find some way of bolting an ugly plate in the front and ruining the aesthetics of my car.

Seriously, why are front license plates needed? Florida has traffic cams, tolls, etc. all the things California has and yet they find no need to have front license plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 04:38 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
I may be wrong but if you don't have anyplace to mount the plate you may ot have to. Check the DMV web site.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_hemingway View Post
I'm sorely missing Florida's rear license plates only laws. I don't miss Florida, though (too hot!). It makes the front of the car look terrible. Now I have to find some way of bolting an ugly plate in the front and ruining the aesthetics of my car.

Seriously, why are front license plates needed? Florida has traffic cams, tolls, etc. all the things California has and yet they find no need to have front license plates.
Sorry Karl, it just comes with the territory. I actually got away with not displaying mine for a few years before I finally got pulled over and issued a fix it ticket. The officer made it sound like it was this terrible punishment. "I hate to tell you this sir, but I have to issue you a.... dundundun... fix it ticket." Oh, the horror. I had to pay $25 and find a police officer to sign a form confirming I fixed it (and the officer that signed it didn't even look at my car to see that I actually fixed it).

Good news is I went to the local Toyota dealership and they put it on and didn't charge me a cent to do it.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:48 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I may be wrong but if you don't have anyplace to mount the plate you may ot have to. Check the DMV web site.
They don't care if you have to drill a hole in you bumper. You need a front plate.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:52 PM

604 posts, read 1,301,475 times
So they can spot ya coming and going.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:55 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_hemingway View Post

I would think Bloods, Crips and MS-13 would be more of your concern than a freaking front plate. Geez, just put it on. Its not that big of a deal

Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
So the red light cameras can ID you along with any cops you try to run down. Besides, gotta keep them convicts busy and paid.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
I have not had mine on my car in more than a decade. The front of my car is rounded so it can slip through the air -- i'm really not interested in putting something on the front of my car which creates parasitic drag. We need a "special order 40" that applies to front license plates.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 PM

604 posts, read 1,301,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I have not had mine on my car in more than a decade. The front of my car is rounded so it can slip through the air -- i'm really not interested in putting something on the front of my car which creates parasitic drag. We need a "special order 40" that applies to front license plates.
Well, as long as you don't drink to many 40's you might not get caught. I'm pretty certain no front plate isn't that high a priority unless they've already got ya stopped for something else.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Its another in a long line of influences that law enforcement has on our state legislators.

Its ONLY purpose is so that cops have yet another pretense to pull people over. Exactly the same as the front window tint matter. These things aren't actual safety issues, but they give cops carte blanche to stop people and ask them other questions.

And as stated, even if you don't have a spot to place it, you have to have holes drilled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California