Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 02:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm no California Cheerleader, as clear from my posts, but I stand by my statement that North Dakota (which is a pit of hell by itself) has no quality jobs, most jobs there are driving a truck hauling oil, getting cancer (no thanks). California has good job quality and job diversity, including manufacturing sector. ND isn't doing anything but polluting, destroying and using up non-renewable resourses while providing HORRIBLE quality of life. Living out there, middle of nowhere, bad climate, mostly no trees, boring place among bigots and religious fanatics in a red state? No thanks. There's much more than plain numbers to "unemployment rate". And "quality of life" in CA will always be higher than any kind of perceived quality of life than in ND, due to climate and land/nature alone, for any pay...perhaps, there's a reason they can't fill even "flipping burgers" jobs in ND? As to people "living in poverty" in CA (and as much as quoted 23%)...what is "poverty" anyway? Do they life in favelas? Eat humanitarian aid? Or just lack big Subaru and big TV? (and why aren't they going to those ND fields working stupid McBurger jobs for $22/hr in the land of the gold, since there's horrible poverty in CA? I don't see them walking out... perhaps because welfare/unemployment check is good enough? "Oh my god, my unemployment run out after 2 years.." )
Again you show your ignorance of North Dakota. Only some of the people in California have good jobs as you call them. One reason that California has such a terribly high poverty rate, is that they have an awful lot of poor jobs.

Quote:
California has good job quality and job diversity, including manufacturing sector. ND isn't doing anything but polluting, destroying and using up non-renewable resourses while providing HORRIBLE quality of life.
They also have manufacturing jobs in North Dakota. How about the oil industry in California and it's effect on the environment. California produced about 2/3ds the amount of oil that North Dakota does every month. California has 16 operating oil refineries, and North Dakota has only 1.

Quote:
perhaps, there's a reason they can't fill even "flipping burgers" jobs in ND
The reason they cannot fill flipping burgers jobs in ND, is there are so many jobs available that pay an awful lot more money.

Quote:
I don't see them walking out... perhaps because welfare/unemployment check is good enough?
Out migration to other states from California has exceeded in migration for years, as they educated move to other states, and the poor move in.

Quote:
ND isn't doing anything but polluting, destroying and using up non-renewable resourses while providing HORRIBLE quality of life.
California leads the nation in polluted air, with the worst air pollution in the nation, not North Dakota. Air that is so bad that the natives like my family in California from both sides since the mid 1800s, are forced to leave to find air good enough to breath and stay alive. Don't talk about the polluting, destroying and providing a HORRIBLE quality of life in other states, until California cleans up it's land, air and water.

Lets consider the number of toxic waste sites in a state, as to who is polluting the air, water and land to prove how wrong your thinking is.

http://wps.ablongman.com/ab_henslin_....cw/index.html

I remember when California was a good and healthy place to live.

Last edited by oldtrader; 05-11-2013 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 06:02 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

California leads the nation in polluted air, with the worst air pollution in the nation, not North Dakota. Air that is so bad that the natives like my family in California from both sides since the mid 1800s, are forced to leave to find air good enough to breath and stay alive. Don't talk about the polluting, destroying and providing a HORRIBLE quality of life in other states, until California cleans up it's land, air and water.

Lets consider the number of toxic waste sites in a state, as to who is polluting the air, water and land to prove how wrong your thinking is.

Hazardous Waste Sites by State, U.S.

I remember when California was a good and healthy place to live.

So...why would the good people of ND want to replicate such a dire situation in their own state?

Old 05-11-2013, 07:17 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:

Air that is so bad that the natives like my family in California from both sides since the mid 1800s, are forced to leave to find air good enough to breath and stay alive.
Drama queen, party of one, your stage is ready.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Which would suggest their COL would follow such an uptick. Which would be a bit of a bummer, since we're talking about North Dakota. Gotta love those winters!
It has, have you been living under a rock, look up the rent for Williston, ND, it is more expensive than Silicon Valley! NYC and SF are the only places more expensive than Williston these days in terms of rent.
The North Dakota Town Where A One-Bedroom Apartment Rents For $2,100 A Month : Planet Money : NPR

Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 PM

604 posts, read 1,301,475 times
They are mauling the oil workers up there aren't they. Free market at work. See OT? How do you propose to fix that with a free market philosophy? Somebody better build more housing.

Quote:

The reason they cannot fill flipping burgers jobs in ND, is there are so many jobs available that pay an awful lot more money.

And ND isn't a draw in and of itself to bring enough burger flippers to flip burgers. Might have to pay 12 bucks an hour to burger flippers to entice em to move there or something.

Last edited by echilibru; 05-11-2013 at 08:31 PM..

Old 05-11-2013, 08:28 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post
Keep doing that until you make sense.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:29 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echilibru View Post
They are mauling the oil workers up there aren't they. Free market at work. See OT? How do you propose to fix that with a free market philosophy? Somebody better build more housing.
I don't know if I would call it free market at work I'm sure many property owners would love to build apartments and take advantage of the situation, but towns there, just like here in Silicon Valley will not just allow you to build whatever you want, you need to have it approved, and it becomes political, so I wouldn't call it a free market. Housing will come, just more slowly than the free market would provide it.

The interesting thing is that the high rents lead to in many cases just the husband living in town and the kids and wife are elsewhere while he earns money in the oil fields.

I hope Silicon Valley NEVER becomes that way.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:32 PM

Oy. The free market mixed economy that isn't a libertarians laissez fair wet dream is at work. Good enough for ya?

Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Somebody let me know when we get to the explanation of how California valley air inversions caused the state to suffer 48th highest unemployment in the nation ...

Old 05-11-2013, 10:10 PM

My working theory is that old farts, who can otherwise hire, move to Montana or ND where they can slip and fall and break their hips and die instead of dying from breathing bad air. It's just a theory though. And it's kind of a Rube Goldberg affair, that I'm not sure if it works out.

I will research it as soon as I finish picking out my belly button fluff.

My one example seems to have not had hiring authority that I know of, and retired as expected. Any other evidence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California