Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 03:23 AM

15,083 posts, read 20,391,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by echilibru View Post
Yosemite National Park. Sequoia and Kings Canyon National forests.
Definitely agree on Yosemite NP (I've never been to Sequoia or Kings). I will add, if the OP finds themselves along US395, Devils Postpile National Monument and Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.

[awesome!]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 AM

954 posts, read 1,541,098 times
Cal trip not complete without checking out Trona.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 AM

604 posts, read 1,298,210 times
Well, maybe if you pass by on the way to the Mojave or something. But Trona as a destination is a buncha balogna.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:19 AM

5,322 posts, read 18,196,487 times
Hopes, I would say most certainly Yosemite. Are the four legged family members making the journey as well? If so there are numerous dog friendly off leash beaches

Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 AM

17,608 posts, read 22,512,090 times
Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park you will love...

Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park

jedediah smith redwoods state park - Google Search

Old 05-12-2013, 01:20 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My husband and I are taking a two week road trip from Seattle to either San Francisco or San Diego, depending on how much there is to see.

What are the "must sees" for in Central California between San Francisco and Los Angeles?

We're thinking of flying with a tent so we can camp on occasion.

I'd love to hear your ideas!
First of all, to be truthful, I would forget the tent business. Yes, there are times when it is worth it and fun, but in this case, you might find it more bother than it is worth. What to see in central Ca, that depends on what you are calling central California? Really from the bay area to L.A or San Diego via 5, there is isn't all the much. Now, I will give you some ideas of what I would want to do, if I were taking the trip. I would use a route closer to the pacific coast. I would want to stop in San Louis Obispo, if for no other reason just to enjoy the ocean, of course you could do the same in Monterey or Carmel. Even if you live in Seattle, the ocean is a little different. You might also want to take in one of the wine regions and spend a few hours in Solvang. Of course there is Yosemite and Sequoia national park, but depending on the amount of time you have and the time of the year, this might not be a great experience. It is beginning to be tourist time and the parks are packed. If you don't mind the crowds then pick one of them. Oh, and don't forget Hearst Castle, it would be on my list as well as, at least one of the missions. .

If camping is the thing you really want to do, I would spend the entire 2 weeks enjoy all the sites from San Francisco along the coast, including national parks and forests and forget going any further south than Los Angeles.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:13 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,391,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Cal trip not complete without checking out Trona.
Well, at least you didn't recommend Amboy.

[]

Old 05-12-2013, 05:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
You guys are great! The responses have really helped us figure out what we have time to do.

Before I finalize the itinerary, which I will share here, I have a question.

Is there a difference between driving north or south on Highway 1?

We're debating if we should start our trip in CA and drive northward instead of Seattle and drive southward.

I'm thinking that driving southward allows us a better view of the coast because we'll be on that side of the road.

Is there an advantage to driving north or south?

Old 05-12-2013, 06:28 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You guys are great! The responses have really helped us figure out what we have time to do.

Before I finalize the itinerary, which I will share here, I have a question.

Is there a difference between driving north or south on Highway 1?

We're debating if we should start our trip in CA and drive northward instead of Seattle and drive southward.

I'm thinking that driving southward allows us a better view of the coast because we'll be on that side of the road.

Is there an advantage to driving north or south?
I'd look at it more from the angle of whether or not your trying to get into Yosemite on this trip. If you can get a reservation for a cabin or tent, then you'd want the timing of that to decide your itinerary. If Yosemite isn't in the picture, my choice would be to drive south from Seattle.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd look at it more from the angle of whether or not your trying to get into Yosemite on this trip. If you can get a reservation for a cabin or tent, then you'd want the timing of that to decide your itinerary. If Yosemite isn't in the picture, my choice would be to drive south from Seattle.
Yosemite is the whole reason we're rethinking the direction. It seems like it will be a less stressful trip to fly into San Fran and start out with Yosemite. Having it at the end of the trip seems stressful since everyone says it's so busy. If driving south from Seattle is preferable overall, I'll do that. I'll just try to arrive at Yosemite a day earlier than planned so we can have a day to relax afterwards before catching our flight home.

ETA: I just read a rep comment that mentioned going north being safer from going over the side. I have to admit, that thought crossed my mind prior to the rep comment. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California