Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cosmopolitan
Los Angeles 39 33.91%
San Francisco 59 51.30%
About even 17 14.78%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:12 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times

Advertisements

They are very dense/urban and hotspots for international tourists. Ever been to 25 Lusk? Parts of Valenica Street are also very ritzy and upscale, although they are noticeably less cosmopolitan than say Russian Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 11:17 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
They are very dense/urban and hotspots for international tourists. Ever been to 25 Lusk? Parts of Valenica Street are also very ritzy and upscale, although they are noticeably less cosmopolitan than say Russian Hill.
I guess. The Mission to me reminds me of Tijuana especially near the BART station. It actually looks like Revolucion in TJ. I'd call it international for that but not necessarily cosmopolitan. SOMA, ok maybe I can go with that.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
San Francisco's lopsided lead in the poll indicates that participants are not answering the question as worded.

Cosmopolitan is not synonymous with urban or walkable or "I like it better." Cosmopolitan is more along the lines of comprised of international elements or connected to the globe. By this definition, both S.F. and L.A are very cosmopolitan, with inhabitants and culture representing every corner of the planet. L.A. may have the edge since it has a larger port, larger airport with more foreign carriers and more consulates. I'm sure the definition can be tweaked to favor either city (often by using total numbers vs. normalized).
Agreed. As soon as the second post in this thread talked about how compact and walkable Sf is I knew basically people would just pick what city is the most urban and attractive.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 PM

136 posts, read 244,543 times
My god, I thought this poll would be close. San Francisco is kicking L.A.'s ass. Come on, there are more than 20 million people living in southern California. Surely somebody down there can defend their city.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
My god, I thought this poll would be close. San Francisco is kicking L.A.'s ass. Come on, there are more than 20 million people living in southern California. Surely somebody down there can defend their city.
L.A. people don't get into this rivalry thing nearly as much as SF people do.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
The whole of San Francisco could fit into about 1/3 of L.A. proper though, including areas like China Basin, Ingleside, Cow Palace, etc. So SF loses punch. If we expand SF to outlying areas the sprawl factor of both cities evens out, and SF loses punch.
Try 1/10 of LA.

SF = 45 sq mi.
LA = 483 sq mi.

Just the cities, mind you, not the metros.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
This just seems like a higher-brow version of, "I wanna rep my SF homies; is Tenderloin in the house? And Fillmore, yo? " and to be followed up with "and f--k L.A. chumps".

Sorry to all if I'm not up on my "reppin' slang".

Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
L.A. people don't get into this rivalry thing nearly as much as SF people do.
When your rival kicks your ass, the best thing to do is say that you were never rivals to begin with.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,991 times
I'd like to know what people define as cosmopolitan.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,742,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
The whole of San Francisco could fit into about 1/3 of L.A. proper though, including areas like China Basin, Ingleside, Cow Palace, etc. So SF loses punch. If we expand SF to outlying areas the sprawl factor of both cities evens out, and SF loses punch.

that's true sf has less land area, but it's used efficiently. in a relatively small area, there is much to see and it's not hard to get to. if you were to be dropped in the middle of sf, you could find a weeks worth of activities without a car and not get bored. it's apples to oranges, but i'd rather spend a week of free time in sf over la
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California