Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times

Advertisements

Hi C-Ders!

So I have a possibly really good job opportunity in Tulare County and wanted to get some honest opinions on the area as I know nothing about it. I'd probably be living in Visalia. I am a gay male, late 20s, currently living in San Diego. Wondering about the following things:

(1) It looks like Tulare County is pretty conservative, but is it socially conservative or more fiscally conservative (i.e. Orange County)?

(2) Is the area is gay friendly/tolerant? I know it's California, but I'm not naive enough to assume everywhere in California is gay-friendly.

(3) Any recommendations on areas in Visalia to look at and/or areas to avoid?

(4) I realize that I'd definitely need to adjust my expectations moving to a city 1/10 the size of San Diego, and was wondering for anyone who made the move from a bigger city, what were the most difficult adjustments to make? What were the positive aspects of it?

(5) Are there places to meet other young professionals? I'm not super big into partying/clubbing but I do enjoy grabbing drinks at a bar with friends (gay and/or straight). I just don't want to be bored out of my mind.

(6) In San Diego I definitely take advantage of the incredible outdoor opportunities here. Are there a lot of outdoor/recreational opportunities up there?

(7) Generally speaking, what are the best and worst things about Visalia?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and feedback on any of these questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post

Thank you very much in advance for your time and feedback on any of these questions.
Having been there many times, generally it has all the usual amenities, and problems I wold suppose, of any small city anywhere. And I doubt very much you'd be mugged just for being gay.

On the down-side, it's in the Central Valley which means heat, bad air and Tule fog.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:55 AM

31 posts, read 39,446 times
Less tule fog than ever.

1. Conservative once you adjust for the average CA conservative, which is a commie in Kansas. You should be ok, generally at least left alone.

2. To my knowledge it is at least tolerant in general. I haven't read or heard of any real problems in Visalia, although I am not gay. If it's not great, you could always jet up 99 to Fresno and the Tower District, it's a 45 minute drive, depending.

3. I'd look in the northeast, on the north side of 198, on the far side of old downtown. Just a personal preference as it's newer construction out there. Try to stay off of Mooney Blvd. as the traffic is actually quite bad, as it's the main north south artery in town. At Christmas it's like LA traffic, as the malls and most major shopping in Visalia is off Mooney Blvd.

4. I haven't lived in Visalia, but family does. It's a fine place to live. I've lived in the area though. And for that part of central valley, Visalia is the go to place for shopping and amenities as it has the malls, haha.

5. It's a central valley town, there's places along Mooney Blvd., and in old downtown. The best dining in that area is in Visalia, but I'm not sure about your scene, sorry.

6. Yes. No beach of course, but it's tucked right up under the mountains, and there's lots of outdoors activities. Bike riding, a nice big soccer complex, etc.

7. Well, unemployment as in the central valley in general. And it's hot in the summers.

Last edited by ParleyVous; 05-15-2013 at 05:15 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 11:19 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Thank you guys for the info. Still more of a possibility than a probability at this point but very interested. Any more info much appreciated!

Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
As one who has been living in Tulare (just a few miles south of Visalia) for a few years now, I'll try my best to answer your questions.

Quote:
Hi C-Ders!

So I have a possibly really good job opportunity in Tulare County and wanted to get some honest opinions on the area as I know nothing about it. I'd probably be living in Visalia. I am a gay male, late 20s, currently living in San Diego. Wondering about the following things:

(1) It looks like Tulare County is pretty conservative, but is it socially conservative or more fiscally conservative (i.e. Orange County)?
Conservative...is kind of a general term and I don't like to use one-word answers to depict the culture of an entire town.

There are a LOT of folks that fit the stereotype of "Christian Conservative". There do seem to be an unusually large number of Christian Churches in proportion to the population. But we also have the College (COS) and so I've seen plenty of "hipster" folk too. Economically, it seems to be pretty middle of the road. There is plenty of so-called "old money" because of the farms. But this part of the economy seems to be somewhat counteracted by a large percentage of the population being on some form of public assistance. That said, most of the political ads in these parts tend to favor the conservative.

Quote:
(2) Is the area is gay friendly/tolerant? I know it's California, but I'm not naive enough to assume everywhere in California is gay-friendly.
Again, a little common sense goes a long way. If you go out of your way to publicly proclaim your sexual identity and rub it in the noses of those you know don't agree with you, then yes. You are asking for trouble. But unless you are in San Francisco or West Hollywood, that probably applies anywhere. Conversely, if you adopt a live-and-let-live attitude, then I can't think of any reason you can't live a peaceful and comfortable and fun life here. I've never actually heard of anyone being a victim because he or she was gay. I'm not saying it hasn't or can't happen, I'm simply saying I've never heard of it. Again, common sense goes a long way. Riffraff is everywhere. So just play it safe. stay cool, and you will be fine. You don't need to live "in the closet" in secret by any means. Just like I said, don't make an ass out of yourself. In Fresno, we have the Tower District, which is where the "hipsters" and gay/bi/les community hangs out. Downtown Visalia is a much smaller analog of the Tower. So anyone and everyone can find something entertaining to do there. And yes, we do have some "rednecks" up here. The good news is they are easy to spot. So in short, you should be fine. I just don't know what the potential friend/partner pool is since I am not gay myself. Maybe try browsing some of the personals sites and see what's there to get an idea.

Quote:
Visalia, like any town of its size, has its good areas and bad. From what I've been able to see, most of the new and better areas appear to be south of the 198, generally the southeast and southwest corners of the city. The northeast side east of Lovers Lane (that's the street name not a nickname...Really.) also seems ok. There has been a lot of recent new build just north of, and parallel to Goshen Ave but you have to pass through some pretty rough areas getting into and out of those areas. I periodically read the crime reports and a lot of it seems to cluster in and around that general area. So I'd try to avoid living anywhere in that part of town. Tulare is pretty much the same though even smaller. The only places I'd advise you to steer clear of at all costs would be the real small towns like Tipton, Goshen, Earlimart, and Strathmore. All are truly hellholes and I cannot fathom anyone voluntarily moving to any of them.

Quote:
(4) I realize that I'd definitely need to adjust my expectations moving to a city 1/10 the size of San Diego, and was wondering for anyone who made the move from a bigger city, what were the most difficult adjustments to make? What were the positive aspects of it?
I moved here specifically to get away from the big city (Orange County) and their ridiculous housing prices. You have to answer this for yourself; one persons positives are anothers negatives. For example, living in SoCal, I HATE the fact that it's so crowded that anywhere and everywhere you go is a slog through traffic and waiting in lines. Some people LOVE being in a pool of people that size. Others love being in close proximity to "culture" such as a Mongolian Art museum or easy access to small ethnic cuisine. Maybe you prefer being close to the ocean. If, coming from San Diego, you like the beach, you will miss it here. But on the flip side, if you like rivers, lakes, mountains, and rural farmscapes, all are reachable within minutes.

Quote:
(5) Are there places to meet other young professionals? I'm not super big into partying/clubbing but I do enjoy grabbing drinks at a bar with friends (gay and/or straight). I just don't want to be bored out of my mind.
Well I am neither gay nor single, so I am not the best one to ask. That said, I'm sure there MUST be something. We have ~half a million people and all of them CAN'T be just sitting around bored. Again, my suggestion would be to check the local personal ads to see what (and how many) are posted. I do know we have a number of bars and restaurants that can serve as "meet markets". But for variety, and volume, you will probably need to make the 45 minute trek to Fresno.

Quote:
(6) In San Diego I definitely take advantage of the incredible outdoor opportunities here. Are there a lot of outdoor/recreational opportunities up there?
Absolutely. Many of the roads have dedicated bike lanes. Though most of the bikers prefer to ride in and around the foothills east of town outside Exeter. Great scenic and winding little roads great for biking and even a quick little day drive. Lake Kaweah and Slick Rock Park offer some opportunities for boating, rafting, fishing, hiking, and swimming. Kaweah Oaks preserve is also a neat little park with some hiking trails. It has no amenities whatsoever, so you must bring your own food, water, etc. But it's a great way to spend a few hours hoofing it and getting some exercise in relative solitude. There is also McDermont Field House in Lindsay, which is an indoor sports park. But that's really geared more towards families and teenagers. Going there single, you might find it a bit uncomfortable.

Quote:
Already pretty much answered. There really isn't anything 'good' or 'bad' about Visalia that can't be said of any other city of similar size. It has it's good areas and bad. You just have to have realistic expectations. Like I said, the entire region is less than a million people. And many of them are low income/immigrants, Conservative Redneck, and young families just starting out. You won't find fifty nonstop flights a day to New York and London from Visalia airport. Nor can you expect to see an NFL or MLB franchise setting up shop anytime soon. You won't find three hundred museums. You can't really HOLD any of this against the area; it simply lacks the size and scope to support all of that. It doesn't make it a "bad" area overall. You just have to understand what it is you are getting yourself into, weigh the pros and cons for what's best suited to your tastes, add them up, and see if the pluses outweigh the minuses. NO place-anywhere in the world-is going to be 100% perfect for anyone.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Quote:
You are welcome. I hope this helped in some small way.

Last edited by Des-Lab; 05-18-2013 at 08:22 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 AM

347 posts, read 314,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
As one who has been living in Tulare (just a few miles south of Visalia) for a few years now, I'll try my best to answer your questions.

You are welcome. I hope this helped in some small way.
I generally endorse this post.

With the exception of the swipe at the small towns in the area, whom also generally visit Visalia for the "trip to the city" as people from Tulare do. People from Strathmore probably visit Porterville more for the trip to the Wal-Mart as they are only 5 or so miles away.

But for mall shopping, Visalia is where it's at.

If Tulare didn't have the Farm Show and the Outlet Center, it would just be Anywhere, Central Valley.

Anywho, good post. Wordier than Parley Vous', but generally in line with the opinion.

I of course have family all through that area of the valley. And do not label any part of the area as "hellhole". YMMV.

I will note that I cannot recall hearing of any hate crimes against gay people being reported here in Fresno, nor have I heard of any incidents from family when discussing events. I'd say that more conservative people might avoid you if stridently out, but for the most part live and let live seems to prevail.

I did know several gay people when I lived in Porterville, and they were generally treated ok. And I cannot imagine Porterville is dramatically different than Visalia, really. I also have a gay cousin who is a good singer, sings in his church and at wedding and events. He's generally positive about the area. Lives outside Exeter.

Porterville is about 50,000 population now, Visalia about 100k or so.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:16 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,308 times
Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily call Orange County merely fiscally conservative. There are plenty of social/religious conservatives there, particularly when you factor in the large (and growing) Latino and Asian populations (though yes, they aren't "socially conservative" in the way white social conservatives are, generally speaking). It's really mainly the coastal towns in OC that are more "Libertarian" or "live-and-let live" than anything.

But anyway, this is neither here nor there. Just me nitpicking a bit!

Old 04-26-2014, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,900 times
hello i was wondering if visalia a good place to live and raise kids i currently live in antioch ca but i was looking to move for a fresh start with the family and boyfriend just curious

Old 04-27-2014, 02:35 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,401 times
Quote:
Hi C-Ders!

My family (in-laws) have been farming the Visalia/Tulare area for four decades. I don't think there's an anti-gay place in Cali, first off. The central valley is full of LA transplants, and I would imagine that if you're not flaming, it'll be quite accepting of your preference. It definitely isn't a backwoods town full of religious zealots.

1... Visalia revolves around Mooney Blvd - trust me, it's not going to match LA, SD, or SF. Imagine Beach Blvd. in OC and that is Mooney Blvd, except that's about it! EVERYTHING in Visalia is mostly there.

2... The biggest adjustment will be the weather (blazing in the Summer, freezing in the Winter) and the pollution. Keep in mind that late Summer is the harvest season, and that is air pollution time. All the nut trees get shaken and it throws up tons of dust for several weeks.

3... Again, Visalia revolves around Mooney Blvd, and there will be a decent night life to meet people, but nothing like SD, LA, SF.

4... AS for sports... You will be close in to the desert and lake sports (Skiing (water and snow), dirt sports (MX, Off-road), and hiking. Lakes and rivers are the hot spots, including Three Rivers.

5... I'm not exactly sure how to answer that. I love it for the dirt and riding bikes, but I hate the weather. Spring is awesome.

Hope this helps

Last edited by surfman; 04-27-2014 at 02:45 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 02:48 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellbethebest View Post
hello i was wondering if visalia a good place to live and raise kids i currently live in antioch ca but i was looking to move for a fresh start with the family and boyfriend just curious
I can tell you that Visalia, and especially Exeter, have great schools. The classes are half the size of the bigger cities, and the employment is actually pretty good up there. The pace of life is just a tad slower, but not rural slow. It's just Cali slow... if you can imagine anything in Cali being slower.

The place has exploded over the last 20-30 years. In the eighties it was definitely close to being Oklahoma, but not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California