U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:20 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,608,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But the OP said it's not a controlled substance. She said it's not on any controlled substance lists that she checked. So no law was broken.

I don't understand what the concern is here. No one did anything wrong. What's your friend worried about, OP? Were there adverse effects from the pill? The doc doesn't know your friend's name.

I'm not getting it. What's the nature of the problem?
It was a prescription, so I (and the friend) are not sure if there was a law broken because it was prescription even though it does not show on any of the schedules. All of the laws I have researched seem to say "controlled substance" which this one was not as it is not on the schedules....although it is only available by prescription.

No, there were no adverse effects from the pill.

So, I guess the bottom line, we are not able to figure out if there are legal repercussions for sharing a prescription of a drug that is not on any controlled substance list...

Or, to put it another way...if the prescription is not on the list of controlled substances, what if any are the legal repercussions for sharing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountybligh View Post
I know, that's why I'm asking if it's a Tylenol, haha. Either it's scheduled or available OTC. You can still get a prescription for OTC medicine, but why bother?

Makes no sense really.
Not true. Not all prescription medications are scheduled.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,790,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
The actual medication does not matter, only that it is not on the DEA or CA schedules. I am not getting specific as to the name as it is identifying on the situation and I am not familiar enough with it to come up with something similar that is not the same.

And, no not everything prescribed is a controlled substance or scheduled as one...and you stating this sort of makes me think you do not know, you are merely guessing. I am able to guess on my own.

I need to know the possible ramifications of what I mentioned, which is the giving of one pill that is a prescription but is not on the federal or CA schedules of controlled substances.

As for not saying what the med is, other than you being able to look it up and see for yourself, that will not change the situation. If you do not believe what I am saying and that answering is a waste of time, feel free to no longer respond,
There are no drugs which require a prescription which are not on a federal drug list. Even most over the counter meds make one.

Any prescription drug is illegal to possess without a current prescription. Every. And current. If you have drugs in your cabinet and no current prescription you are violating the law. I suspect my wife and I are likely felons.

All of this is routinely ignored by the public and government. But it can be enforced by an employer or the government any time they wish.

So count on normal behavior and forget about the law. The law will hang you.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 PM

78,638 posts, read 70,531,500 times
Ibuprofen in smaller doses is OTC. In larger doses, it's by prescrip. So technically, someone could get in trouble for sharing an ibuprofen tab if it's above a certain dose?

Good to know, Ivoc, thanks for posting.

But OP, the doc has no motive to report anything, because his patient wasn't affected by the pill. So there's no incident to report, no cause. And he doesn't know where the patient got the med, anyway.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
There are no drugs which require a prescription which are not on a federal drug list. Even most over the counter meds make one.

This is not true. As the one she is taking is RX only and is not on the Federal Drug list.

Any prescription drug is illegal to possess without a current prescription. Every. And current. If you have drugs in your cabinet and no current prescription you are violating the law. I suspect my wife and I are likely felons.

My friend has the prescription. The coworker obviously does not.

All of this is routinely ignored by the public and government. But it can be enforced by an employer or the government any time they wish.

So count on normal behavior and forget about the law.

What?

The law will hang you.
Thanks, I think...

Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Ibuprofen in smaller doses is OTC. In larger doses, it's by prescrip. So technically, someone could get in trouble for sharing an ibuprofen tab if it's above a certain dose?

But OP, the doc has no motive to report anything, because his patient wasn't affected by the pill. So there's no incident to report, no cause. And he doesn't know where the patient got the med, anyway.
This is sort of what I thought. She is also worried about coworkers saying something to the boss...but as that gets her AND the person who took it in trouble, well, seems like that won't be an issue either.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:33 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,855,099 times
Why is this an issue? Maybe I didn't read the OP carefully enough - is her friend simply paranoid or is this a hypothetical ethics test question of some sort?

Old 05-18-2013, 11:34 PM

347 posts, read 226,295 times
You can end this by simply saying what the drug in question is. And then we can see look it up. Easy peasy.

Ivoc and I are in general agreement here.

I know of no non-scheduled drug available by prescription only. US law doesn't work like that. It's either prescription and scheduled I through V and regulated by DEA or OTC and regulated by FDA (which she might of still gotten a prescription for if she asked for one, say for insurance purposes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Why is this an issue? Maybe I didn't read the OP carefully enough - is her friend simply paranoid or is this a hypothetical ethics test question of some sort?
Well, it's always best to ask for help, then refuse to provide an answer that someone else thinks is critical to deciding what legal jeopardy the person is in. Am I rite?

Old 05-18-2013, 11:39 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,790,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Thanks, I think...
You have the list wrong. All prescription drugs are on one list or the other. I do not believe there is any pain medication that is not a schedule IV or higher class.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Here is the list of the federal controlled substances list

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/sc...ched_alpha.pdf

Nitrous Oxide, Salvia, Tramadol, Phenazapam are examples of drugs that are NOT on the controlled substances list...but nitrous and tramadol are both only by prescription or able to be administered in a doctor's office...hence the issue...just because it is by prescription only does NOT mean it is on the federal list. So, as we don;t know, I have no idea what to tell her as to what repercussions she could face...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or