Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:44 PM

18 posts, read 43,019 times

Advertisements

btw, Texas seems like a nice place with bad weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,082,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoaterinSoCal View Post
btw, Texas seems like a nice place with bad weather
Why are diverse weather patterns a bad thing?

Having grew up in SoCal I loved the summer thunderstorms etc.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:46 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,435,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Diverse weather isn't a bad thing.

Bad weather is a bad thing.

Rain keeping you inside
Heat keeping you inside
Snow keeping you inside
Cold keeping you inside

Give me this 51 weeks a year:

(all photos public domain from Creative Commons)

Old 05-25-2013, 11:09 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,082,898 times
Who knew that modern humans were so fragile, bad weather has rarely kept me inside.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:30 AM

131 posts, read 166,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post

Having grew up in SoCal I loved the summer thunderstorms etc.
Ha! Since southern California doesn't get much in summer thunderstorms, and lookin at your name, I'm gonna guess you are talkin about N. Dakota thunderstorms right? Well, glad you like 'em. Now, how about those howling sub-zero winter winds? Like those, bub?

Speakin of N. Dakota, I swore I'd never go back for one second (years in the Air Force there). But I got a couple people urged me to drive through on my Ralph's California or Bust Bus Trip this summer. They says Ralph you gotta interview N. Dakotans for their attitude about California and report back. So I'm thinkin bout it. You know, for the mockumentary I'm gonna produce about fly-over states attitudes about the left coast.

What do youse all think? N. Dakota? Most gawd-awful place in the Union. Perfect contrast huh!

P.S. Hey, GloriaBeaS, if youse are reading this one, what do you think? Should Ralph drive through N. Dakota on his way out to California from New Yawk?

Old 05-25-2013, 12:26 PM

102,066 posts, read 106,917,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
It seems like the culture in SoCal revolves around one thing: wealth. Everyone obsesses around being able to one day afford to live on the beach and I feel like the beach in particular has become a sort of symbol for success for Southern Californians that other Americans aren't subconsciously plagued by.
If what you say were true, all the stars would be living on the beach. Beverly hills wouldn't exist as such. There are tony neighborhoods around LA that people prefer to the beach. It's not as simple a picture as you describe.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:55 PM

19 posts, read 21,850 times
Hello everybody, I am a bit tired from answering so many posts on another subject, but I am learning so much from this new forum thing that it is hard to stop!

Anyway, I am so surprised to read there is rat racing in southern California! I have lived here in San Diego since 1953 and never knew about it! Isn't that something? Is there a track they use? Is it inside a building (because rats are so small), or outside? I can't imagine how you could follow your rat on a track from seats in a grandstand. How can you make rats run around a track? Don't they just mill around?

I don't like rats, but I am curious. We had a rat get into our house once back in the 50's when Robert was a toddler. I was very upset. Well Elmer trapped it and got me a cat because he was gone so much of the time on his Navy missions. I have always had a cat since then. And a dog.

Well, supper's late now because I have been writing so many posts tonight. So I am going to just warm last night's left overs with Robert (that's my son) who has been coming over to show me how to use this computer and post on forums now that pen-pals don't write letters much anymore. I had lots of pen-pals for many years. I used to type a lot of my letters on my old Underwood typewriter that Robert says I won't have any use for now.

Good night all.

Glo

Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 PM

102,066 posts, read 106,917,029 times
Gloria, do you know Mrs. Doubtfire? You kinda sound like her. I could see you two getting along really well.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:03 PM

19 posts, read 21,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Gloria, do you know Mrs. Doubtfire? You kinda sound like her. I could see you two getting along really well.
Hello Ruth, no I don't know Mrs. Doubtfire. Does she live in California? Is she a rat race fan?

Anyway, it is nice to hear from a woman. I will send you a point for your letter. I think everybody else that has answered me have been men. It's very flattering but a woman needs women friends too or people will talk. Now I really have to go warm food for me and Robert.

Glo

Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,435,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriaBeaS View Post

I have lived here in San Diego since 1953

Anyway, I am so surprised to read there is rat racing in southern California!
Wouldn't it be cool if Prop 13 went away?

That way the people who have lived in SoCal since 1953 and pay $500 a year in property taxes (and have $1.5M in the bank and senior discounts and government cheese and $80K worth of government funded annual medical "procedures" and handicapped parking and meal on wheels) would pay just as much property tax as their next door neighbors, the young couple working two jobs, who pay $10,000 a year in property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California