U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2006, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,613 times
Default New Business

I plan on opening a children's clothing boutique in Palmdale (in a few months) and I'm wondering if this is something the community is interested in.

I wish Palmdale had a "main street" where people could stroll and window shop, sit outside at an eatery or coffee shop...something different than driving to one big retail chain to the next. A place where people go to on a Saturday night just to get out of the house.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,612 times
Default Living in Palmdale

Hi, We are planning to buy a home in Palmdale, can somebody tell me how is the city to live in, is it safe? are the schools good? what kind of a community should one expect...etc etc..

Old 07-27-2006, 10:17 PM

46 posts, read 268,276 times
Post What's it like to live in Palmdale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere
Hi, We are planning to buy a home in Palmdale, can somebody tell me how is the city to live in, is it safe? are the schools good? what kind of a community should one expect...etc etc..
Hi there, hithere. . . I don't know where you are currently living or where you've lived in the past, so I'm gonna make the educated guess that you are familiar with that 800 lb. "gorilla" known as Los Angeles. In that light:

Palmdale is generally safe. Just like anywhere else, there's good and bad wherever you go. Wanna know where the unsafe areas are? For sure avoid the area generally bounded by Avenue P-8 to the north, 6th Street East to the east, Avenue R to the south, and Division Street to the west. Avoid areas near liquor stores and nightclubs and dancehalls. . . especially if they are open late at night, even moreso on weekends. Avoid scuzzy looking residential streets that have more often than not unwatered, unkept front yards and/or cars parked on the lawn. If it looks scuzzy, it is. The Sheriff's Department won't tell you specifically where to avoid, but my advice will keep you away from the trouble areas (and there are lots of better areas for certain). Come by and drive around your chosen area on Friday and/or Saturday nights to get a feel for what is a safe area and what isn't. You'll get the idea, I think.

As for public schools, Westside School District has the best performing schools (and the parents who want their kids to succeed to make it happen). Palmdale School District also has some very good schools as well. . . one of them, on the westside of PSD District boundaries is an almost academically perfect school, viewed from the most recent API scores. But PSD in several school sites is now just average. . . or below that. . . due to the influx of folks escaping the LA Basin and coming here. Before the modern day large scale development which began in 1983, Palmdale had excellent schools, kids behaved and didn't talk back to their teachers, and the biggest problem for the teachers disciplinewise was students chewing gum in class. You get the picture. . . schools here at their worst are better than the average Los Angeles Unified School District school. . . still. Lots of latchkey children who are by default being raised by "the system" . . . which is to say teachers are expected to be both parents and teachers at the same time. Parents often are working or commuting "down below," what we natives call Los Angeles metro, and if they talk to their child for 15 minutes a day. . . the teachers marvel at that. You get the picture. Not all parents work far away from home or are that uninvolved with their children. But it's a local stereotype which is all too often true - and I speak from first hand experience.

If you have the money to buy a house in the Westside School District, go for it. The schools they run are excellent, if crowded (a current recurring situation for all Antelope Valley tax supported schools, btw). If you don't, then I'd research housing areas compatible with high API scores within the Palmdale School District. If you are a good researcher, you'll find the elementary school in PSD with the highest API scores I previously mentioned, and ones with higher scores than the majority of PSD schools. Hint: well kept areas that have a sense of community and neighborliness tend to have schools that perform better than average. Ask around! (or you may wish to give me a private email)

I would expect to live in a community which cares about its neighbors, behaves as though it cares that way, and has a majority of residents who have to commute down below for employment. No place is perfect, and the Antelope Valley never was perfect to begin with. But in the choices available to those who are living and working in the Southland these days, Palmdale is one of the better choices. . . if you have the friends and family members who can watch your children well while you are at work and help them and you in raising them appropriately. Lots of (for pay) childcare here locally for working parents, btw, and preschools and such. Check it out. . .

Soooooo. . . the choice is yours! Lots of folks have already come here to my native valley to live. . . to the point where I am overwhelmingly not the majority type of resident (and because I care about all kinds of people, it's hard for me to have anything mean to say about people in general). Many of these new residents have stayed over the years to the point where they have now lived here for five, ten, fifteen and even twenty years (I ask folks about it). Ask around. Hope this helps.

kle_2001 has the more academic take on Palmdale and the Antelope Valley written earlier in this thread, and is good stuff to read as well.

s/AV Native

Old 07-28-2006, 10:09 AM

46 posts, read 268,276 times
Default an enlightened perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbusiness
I plan on opening a children's clothing boutique in Palmdale (in a few months) and I'm wondering if this is something the community is interested in.

I wish Palmdale had a "main street" where people could stroll and window shop, sit outside at an eatery or coffee shop...something different than driving to one big retail chain to the next. A place where people go to on a Saturday night just to get out of the house.
For the record, folks such as newbusiness might wish to check out the Palmdale Chamber of Commerce website found at www.palmdalechamber.org. Your questions concerning what businesses, shops, etc. that the community needs and would support are best directed there. I personally dunno if this remains a largely unfilled need. I know there are already shops in this market niche already here, though.

As for the "main street" comment, speaking as the Antelope Valley native that I am, we are desert rats here. Sitting outside in the desert heat or the wind is not always attractive. Al fresco dining is better done in places such as Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica, not on Palmdale Blvd.

From a land use perspective, we Antelope Valleyites have an abundance of land (from an Angeleno viewpoint). Land has always been cheaper here than anywhere else in Los Angeles County or the developed Southland, and we use it. Sorry you have a problem with that. When the day comes when our land is so expensive it has to be rationed like it is down below in LA metro, believe me, we'll use the land the way you are used to.

Historically speaking, Palmdale had from circa. 1955 to 1990 two primary shopping centers. One, Palmdale Plaza, served as the focal shopping place that small town Palmdale used to be. We would stroll and window shop, and greet our neighbors. It had a Woolworth's back then, and the lunch counter there was one of our chief eateries.

Progress and growth came with the large influx of new building and residents beginning in 1983, and with it came the demise of the old Palmdale Plaza. It was simply too small of a retail center and too "old style" for the times, and the new residents demanded a spacious mall. They got one. . . the Antelope Valley Mall opened in "new" Palmdale in 1990. Palmdale Plaza was torn down as an eyesore, abandoned by merchants eager to relocate to the new mall.

As for a place to to to get out of the house for the night. . . check out the City of Palmdale's excellent Thursday Night on the Square in (historic) downtown Palmdale next to City Hall. Music, food, games, activities galore. It's held every Summer usually beginning in July for ten consecutive weeks, 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM. See you there on the (Poncitlan) Square!

s/AV Native

Old 11-08-2006, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 18,015 times
I have lived in Palmdale since 1970. Since then, it seems the retail businesses that succeed are the big box and cookie cutter type stores. The days of the mom and pop stores might be coming to an end. I have seen so many small businesses open only to fail.

A nice promenade idea would be to have a nice open park land that shows the natural desert with Joshua trees and other wildlife. There could be trails and benches throughout this natural reserve. In the middle of this reserve you could be a nice upscale restaurant that plays live jazz. There could also be a souvenir gift shop at the restaurant that sells items that are desert themed reflecting natural local beauties such as Joshu trees, sage brush and poppies. The gift shop could also have a high end art gallery selling beautiful local art. I think the natural beauty of Palmdale such as the Joshua Tree should be capitalized on. People really are attracted to and need to be surrounded by nature. So far, all I've seen is the plowing down of Joshua trees to make room for big box stores that sell disposable items made in China. I feel we are losing our souls with each peice of desert that is destroyed.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:17 AM

252 posts, read 757,817 times
I looked long and hard @ possibly moving to Palmdale & even met w/ investors for possible business opportunites in that area. Although I'd love to possibly try out Acton or Anaverde, I feel it is best to see what direction this area is headed.

What you describe sounds alot like the "Grove" or Farmers Market in LA. I'm not sure the demographics of the area would support such high end retail shops/ restaurants and thats not a dig as I've looked @ possibly living there and business opportunites there for over a yr. I could be wrong, maybe no one's really tried. Additionally, I don't think an outdoor market would do well yr round. I agree with you in that most of the retail shops are the chain-store types. I really did not see any independant restaurants in the major shopping/dining areas. My wife remarked that fine dining doesn't appear to really exist there.
In actuality, Palmdale has greater issues than deciding if an open air, upscale retail area is what it really needs.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:08 PM

744 posts, read 2,393,287 times
Very few people with interest/money to enjoy children's-boutique shopping live in Palmdale; it's just not that kind of area. It's growing with the coastal areas' rising tide of home values but will never support upscale development. Like the Victor Valley, it's a place you retire in or graduate from.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:14 PM

30 posts, read 131,618 times
Default look a little deeper

I agree that a large portion of the AV has discretionary income, however, there is more $ here than you think. Check out some business research websites re: demographics and you'll notice that more than one zip out here has a higher median household income than a lot of areas in southern ca. Equity in your home does not equal continuous wealth and expendable $. It just depends on the location of the retail establishment.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:25 AM

55 posts, read 281,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Very few people with interest/money to enjoy children's-boutique shopping live in Palmdale; it's just not that kind of area. It's growing with the coastal areas' rising tide of home values but will never support upscale development. Like the Victor Valley, it's a place you retire in or graduate from.
Actually, it's a place to get the hell out from. The "ghettoization" of both Palmdale and Lancaster is accelerating at an alarming rate, and crime is rampant. If you invest in developable/splittable property now, you're too late...all the sharp shooters/speculators already made their money. There is a large housing glut now, and housing prices are trending downward. I got out at the right time. It is no place to live, unless you're a ghettoid or an illegal. The employment situation is still basically a single industry economy, with aerospace being the #1 industry. The second biggest industry is welfare/Section 8! Everything else is minimum wage/no-skill work with no contribution to the economy.

If you have property there now, GET OUT NOW and cut your loses. If you're considering buying there, look elsewhere. The place is another Compton in the works.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:31 AM

55 posts, read 281,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostress13 View Post
Check out some business research websites re: demographics and you'll notice that more than one zip out here has a higher median household income than a lot of areas in southern ca.
All Lockheed has to do is move more F22 work to Texas, or Boeing shut down Site 1, and that goes down the crapper instantly. The aerospace jobs are the ONLY jobs that make middle class wages; everything else in the area is either minimum wage garbage or underground economy/crime/drugs.

Don't believe what the C of C spinmeisters and realtor con artists put on their phony baloney websites. Palmdale/Lancaster is a good place to LEAVE, not BUY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California