Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times

Advertisements

West Sac getting out of the port business - Business - The Sacramento Bee

I read this article and the comments thinking, other then servicing itself and bordering states, what will be the future of California terminals once the Panama canal is done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 10:06 AM

23 posts, read 19,523 times
Goods will still flow from across the US to California and out to the Pacific Rim. I'm unsure at what point it makes sense to go through the Canal rather than ship overland from back east though.Shipping is a growth industry. There's enough business to go around to keep the ports operating. Like anything there might be more consolidation and cost-cutting however.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:49 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
For sure there'll be a reduction in container volume in the big western and SOCAL ports. Cargo for eastern U.S. states will transit the widened canal, meaning fewer stack trains coming out of the L.A. Basin, which will still serve most of the west. How much of a reduction remains to be seen.

Hard to say right now where the economics of over-land movement will establish a demarcation point for how far east containers will roll off Pacific ports or how far west containers will roll off of the two primary Atlantic coast ports that are able to handle the wider, deeper container vessels, i.e., Charleston, SC and Baltimore, MD.

It may be an somewhat arbitrary point, such as where the UP and BNSF RRs meet the eastern RRs of CSX and NS, i.e, somewhere along the Mississippi River, give or take. Historically, RRs hate to share income with other RRs, so it makes some sense that a defacto economic demarc may be where the eastern lines typically interchange with the western roads, allowing the RRs to keep 100% of their RR line-haul revenue.

I've not seen any news items that take a stab at predicting such a demarc point, and it's bound to be fuzzy given the realities of ocean cargo rates, port handling costs, geography and total-time-in-transit factors. RRs and shipping lines are loath to divulge specifics of their plans and pricing.

The economics generally tend to work the same in both directions for both import and export movements. A balanced flow in both directions is a holy grail for transport firms, they never want a one-way flow as that has them moving empty vehicles half the time while earning no revenue for deadhead movements.

The future is safe for CA ocean ports, but the frantic pace of cargo operations and train movements will slow a bit as some work will be spread across more ports.

The port of West Sac is not now a player in the massive container traffic entering CA ports, so nothing to lose there. The big container ports in SOCAL will feel a decline from a new canal.The West Sac facility may become a niche player, perhaps "heavy lift" items, but too soon to know for sure. One thing is for sure, with a max water depth of just 30 feet, not much shipping to going to be calling on the port of West Sac.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-28-2013 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Port of Stockton is really kicking West Sac's butt because of the lack of a water canal deep enough to allow the huge international container ships that have access to Stockton. Couple that with I-5 and Hwy99 being only 4 miles apart through the hwy4 interchange right through downtown Stockton and the old Navy Base Port Stockton aquired. Least I forget the direct Port connection to Burlington Northern and Union Railroads.

Just an example of the businesses finding Stockton California's Largest inland seaport attractive:

Gavilon Announces Edible Oil Refinery in Stockton, California | Gavilon

Old 05-28-2013, 05:00 PM

19 posts, read 19,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Port of Stockton is really kicking West Sac's butt because of the lack of a water canal deep enough to allow the huge international container ships that have access to Stockton. Couple that with I-5 and Hwy99 being only 4 miles apart through the hwy4 interchange right through downtown Stockton and the old Navy Base Port Stockton aquired. Least I forget the direct Port connection to Burlington Northern and Union Railroads.

Just an example of the businesses finding Stockton California's Largest inland seaport attractive:

Gavilon Announces Edible Oil Refinery in Stockton, California | Gavilon
The only ship I ever see at Stockton is that concrete Sunshine ship that never moves.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:19 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
For a voyage to Asia, the canal factor is less and less important the further north you are. In that regard, Seattle has the ultimate advantage given a great circle voyage.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:14 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Roosevelt View Post
The only ship I ever see at Stockton is that concrete Sunshine ship that never moves.

You can pull up the vessel log for the port on the home page. Probably much better at telling you what ships are in port than what you see driving by at 65mph on the I-5 freeway

Old 05-29-2013, 04:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
I think Stockton will be more than happy to take up the slack. It's mostly rice, grain and cement that make up the lion's share of the bulk cargo anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California