U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 10:04 AM

8 posts, read 12,179 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to live in ca. (San Diego or oc) I grew up in New England an this is all I know. We have the beach which is amazing, it's a perfect place during the holidays and the fall but winter is rough. Really nothing going on for kids to do and job opportunities is scarce. I have always seen Myself raising my future kids in SoCal, there is so much to do there, amazing parks and beaches and places to eat, we have none of that here. Just the fact that the kids can always be outside and not have to be stuck inside 5 months for winter is enough for me to make the move. But the thing that always stops me is the weather, do you get sick of the perfect weather? Does SoCal even get a fall season? I'm afraid I will miss some of the coziness of New England but not sure if its worth it enough to stay!

What's it like raising a kid in SoCal? Would u leave if you could?

Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 AM

7,150 posts, read 8,778,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wovencoasttocoast View Post
I have always wanted to live in ca. (San Diego or oc) I grew up in New England an this is all I know. We have the beach which is amazing, it's a perfect place during the holidays and the fall but winter is rough. Really nothing going on for kids to do and job opportunities is scarce. I have always seen Myself raising my future kids in SoCal, there is so much to do there, amazing parks and beaches and places to eat, we have none of that here. Just the fact that the kids can always be outside and not have to be stuck inside 5 months for winter is enough for me to make the move. But the thing that always stops me is the weather,
Quote:
do you get sick of the perfect weather?
No.

Quote:
Does SoCal even get a fall season?
Not like you are thinking. Cools down. Occasional rain shows up.

Quote:
I'm afraid I will miss some of the coziness of New England but not sure if its worth it enough to stay!
You WILL miss the coziness of New England -- and much more about it ... zero question. That is not to say you won't love it in California as well. Where are you in New England? While I grew up mostly in Detroit and Philadelphia, I camped hiked, climbed, canoed, and skied all over New England a very great deal in those years. I also lived for a time Downeast Maine almost at the NB border outside Calais.

Quote:
What's it like raising a kid in SoCal? Would u leave if you could?

Thanks in advance
Raised my kids in the Pacific NW, so can't offer you much here. Will say that, as I used to live full-time years ago in California, and now split my time between there, Washington State, and Hawaii -- I wouldn't leave the Pacific and its coasts for anywhere in the world -- EXCEPT Maine if I were young again. If you are from N.H., Maine, possibly Vermont, you WILL miss it. If you are in MA, CT, R.I. or upstate NY, you will miss the fall, that's pretty much it.

Good luck in your decision making!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,683,981 times
Kids can't always be outside, as there is a rainy season. (Average seasonal rainfall LA, 1877 thru 2012: 14.98 inches)

Fall is usually hot, bone-dry and windy. Fall is also when the huge wildland fires occur.

I raised four kids in OC. They play, go to school, get in trouble, then grow up. Just like most other places.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Kids can't always be outside, as there is a rainy season. (Average seasonal rainfall LA, 1877 thru 2012: 14.98 inches)

Fall is usually hot, bone-dry and windy. Fall is also when the huge wildland fires occur.

I raised four kids in OC. They play, go to school, get in trouble, then grow up. Just like most other places.
I do stand corrected: the occasional rains show up at the very end of fall into the winter ... early fall is like summer.

Having raised my family in the Pac NW, 15" of annual rainfall -- my island property in what is known up here as "the rain shadow" is more than double that, and as little as 20 minutes away gets 60+" -- is what I call minimal and occasional ... parched, actually. Of course, that relative dryness is one of the things that keeps me escaping to California.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 AM

8 posts, read 12,179 times
Thanks for the advice! Live in ct right now, considering a move to me or ca! I know complete opposites. I love me but I am concerned about jobs and opportunity, there isn't much there. California seems like the perfect place to raise children. And no it's not the same everywhere because growing up on the east coast is completely different than the west coast. Completely different lifestyle!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! Live in ct right now, considering a move to me or ca! I know complete opposites. I love me but I am concerned about jobs and opportunity, there isn't much there. California seems like the perfect place to raise children. And no it's not the same everywhere because growing up on the east coast is completely different than the west coast. Completely different lifestyle!
It's true that employment is limited ... but the lifestyle up there is splendiferous!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:56 AM

11 posts, read 27,373 times
Keep in mind what kind of culture you want your kids raised in. Around the northeast there is much more emphasis placed on education, hard work, and discipline. Southern California emphasizes a more laid back, easy-going and enjoyable approach to life, with much less focus on formal education in particular. You can "feel" these differences pretty quickly. I've lived in both places and they both have pros and cons, it's a very personal choice. Northern California is actually a nice blend of the two.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM

33 posts, read 57,444 times
Quote:
I'm gonna have to be the kill-joy here...

What are you talking about, a "completely different lifestyle?"

This isn't the Beach Boys era. This isn't the "California Dreamin'" era. This is now.

If you like CA for what it is now, then by all means, move out here.

Just be sure that the way you think it is now and the way it actually is now are one in the same.

Regarding raising kids, are you sure CA is the place to do it? If you're going to either (1) school your kids in an really good public school, (2) private-school or (3) home-school your kids then go for it.

If you're going to public-school your kids in a working class neighborhood then you'll have to be willing to tolerate mediocrity or worse. Far worse.

The reality of public schooling is that parents have been fleeing CA and SoCal in particular because they liked one or both just fine when they were childless but once they had children, they decided someplace like Salt Lake City, Denver, Charlotte or just.. anywhere was going to be better.

You may want to dispense with your idyllic notions and actually think this through.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercommuter View Post
The reality of public schooling is that parents have been fleeing CA and SoCal ...
Fonty? Are you there? People are "fleeing" ...

Old 05-29-2013, 10:58 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,683,981 times
In droves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California