U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 10,596 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job in Ceres and will be moving there from Houston, TX so I am not familiar with the area at all. I am trying to decide where to look for housing and would appreciate any advice. From what I have read online the Manteca/Ripon/Lanthrop area is a nice place. I am fine with commuting 30 to 45 minutes to Ceres for work. I am married, just turned 30, and we are expecting a our first child in October so my main concern is a safe area but would still like to be around amenities such as restaurants, shopping, etc... My wife will be staying home with the baby so we would also like to be in close proximity to restaurants, parks, museums, etc... We plan to rent a home for a year until we become better acquainted with the area. If anyone knows a good realtor/property locator I would appreciate your suggestions. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 10:14 AM

3,921 posts, read 7,719,625 times
Moderator cut: thread merged It's a huge agricultural region. I'm not super familiar with each individual town, but I know that Stockton doesn't have great reputation. So for starters, I'd probably avoid that city.

Last edited by Count David; 10-17-2017 at 07:02 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 10:17 AM

2,162 posts, read 4,725,005 times
Moderator cut: threads merged Ceres is near Modesto in the central valley which is not really anywhere near the Bay Area or Sacramento.

Last edited by Count David; 10-17-2017 at 07:02 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 AM

8,182 posts, read 11,067,647 times
Hope you can find something closer. A "one hour commute" is actually TWO hours stolen from your life. Good luck and welcome to California.!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,770,721 times
Ceres is way out in the asteroid belt, so maybe the Science and Astronomy Forum.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM

493 posts, read 642,489 times
get you a double wide in the foothills somewhere. theyll be pretty shocked back home when you tell theres bigger rednecks out here than back there.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:02 PM

493 posts, read 642,489 times
seriously tho, (or should that be ceresly?) your 100 miles away from the bay area, but you mite as well be 1500 miles away.

if at all possible really suggesting getting the lay of the land by visiting out on your own first. houses are much cheaper out there, so you might have great neighbors, or you might have some NOT so great neighbors if ya know what i mean.

also it needs to be emphasized winter driving in the central valley can be extremely dangerous when the valley fog settles in in wintertime, something to keep in mind if mamma's gonna be driving the little one around especially.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:44 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,176,261 times
Hi Brandon, congrats on the job and good luck on the move. You might try posting your message to the main California message board, which gets a little more traffic. You might also try searching those message boards for old threads. Ceres might be a little far from Sac to garner many posts, but hopefully someone will speak up.

I've always heard Ripon is a nice town, retaining a lot of the charm that Valley towns had decades ago, but it's small, so unlikely to have a lot of the amenities you're looking for. Same with cities to the east, like Oakdale. You might talk to someone who knows the area about traffic in Modesto. I've often been surprised to get stuck on 99 in that area, and Ripon to Ceres, you'd be driving through the whole city. I've heard people say that Turlock has some nice areas, and might give you some city-type amenities, with an easier commute. Best of luck.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:35 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,086,857 times
Oakdale should be added to your list.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:07 AM

3,195 posts, read 4,691,438 times
The nicest town in Stanislaus County is Oakdale. Safe, clean community with good schools (I lived there for seven years). Its about thirty minutes from Ceres. Ceres isn't a hellhole, but Oakdale is worth the commute in my opinion. You can do it on back country roads and avoid the traffic of Modesto. If not that Turlock and Hilmar (ten to fifteen miles south) are worth a look. Ripon and Escalon to the north are also good options for small town living. Both should be no more than thirty minutes.

Given its size (a little over 200,000) Modesto/Ceres isn't going to give you anything like Houston as far as museums and restaurants go. I would put those way down on my priority list and concentrate on pleasant communities nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California