U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2013, 11:58 AM
 
Location: KKKalfornia
493 posts, read 641,621 times
Reputation: 276

Advertisements

as long as its not on my account at all zdg, i was just playing....

btw, in my old age ive gotten into watching sitcoms from the pilot thru to the finish, and seinfeld first season one was on last week...

maybe its b/c george and kramer's personalities havent hit their stride yet at the early pont inthe series, but to me it sure didnt hold up well. Jer' is definetely not the kind of character who can carry a cast like say, kevin james did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2013, 12:16 PM
 
841 posts, read 1,079,944 times
Reputation: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
personally i think theyre funny despite the inside jokes, not b/c of them.

just curious did you new yorkers think it was funny how whenever king of queens would do outside scenes that it was clearly california? they didnt even try to hide it...
Even that very New York show that was mentioned, "Seinfeld", was actually shot just a few blocks from my parent's house in Studio City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 01:57 PM
zdg
 
Location: Sonoma County
841 posts, read 1,703,202 times
Reputation: 1123
One of my favorite NYC-sitcoms-not-shot-in-NYC "blunders" was the apartment building for Friends. I read somewhere a few years ago that if the apartments being shown on television (2 bedrooms with giant living rooms, outdoor space, new appliances, etc) would have actually been in the middle of West Village, they would have rented for roughly $13,500/mo...each. The exterior shot was of the real building of course.

Hard to imagine the characters in the show being able to drop $6,750/mo each on rent. Their real apartments would have looked more like a studio with bunk beds and a TV on the kitchen/card table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 04:03 PM
 
841 posts, read 1,079,944 times
Reputation: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
One of my favorite NYC-sitcoms-not-shot-in-NYC "blunders" was the apartment building for Friends. I read somewhere a few years ago that if the apartments being shown on television (2 bedrooms with giant living rooms, outdoor space, new appliances, etc) would have actually been in the middle of West Village, they would have rented for roughly $13,500/mo...each. The exterior shot was of the real building of course.

Hard to imagine the characters in the show being able to drop $6,750/mo each on rent. Their real apartments would have looked more like a studio with bunk beds and a TV on the kitchen/card table.
I think it was once explained that Monica "inherited" the apartment from her grandmother so she was still paying the very low rent based on years of rent control. Or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 04:14 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
77,972 posts, read 69,929,188 times
Reputation: 75762
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
One of my favorite NYC-sitcoms-not-shot-in-NYC "blunders" was the apartment building for Friends. I read somewhere a few years ago that if the apartments being shown on television (2 bedrooms with giant living rooms, outdoor space, new appliances, etc) would have actually been in the middle of West Village, they would have rented for roughly $13,500/mo...each. The exterior shot was of the real building of course.

Hard to imagine the characters in the show being able to drop $6,750/mo each on rent. Their real apartments would have looked more like a studio with bunk beds and a TV on the kitchen/card table.
The apt. in some of the Friends episodes (I wasn't a fan, so didn't see too many), looked a lot like the one Seinfeld started out in. And the reason the living rooms looked "giant" was that they were kitchen/dining/living combos in what were supposed to be older buildings.

On the other hand, if you look at shows like Brady Bunch, and older shows, everyone lived in grand 2-story houses, an image that still continues on some shows. Few people live like that anymore. TV has always idealized people's standard of living. It's partly an escapist thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM
 
Location: So Ca
15,623 posts, read 14,891,593 times
Reputation: 13545
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
This is a hilarious portrayal of stereotypical people from California
It IS hilarious...I was still laughing hours after watching it, although it's much funnier to those who've lived in So CA, especially the west side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I like how they said the 2 and the 405.
Of course; that's how it's said here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Reputation: 6824
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It IS hilarious...I was still laughing hours after watching it, although it's much funnier to those who've lived in So CA, especially the west side.



Of course; that's how it's said here.
Not in all cases, at least it wasn't always. We never referred to Highway 1 or PCH as "The 1" or 99 through the central valley as "The 99". I doubt locals refer to it as "The 2", although that's outside of my native geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM
 
Location: So Ca
15,623 posts, read 14,891,593 times
Reputation: 13545
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
We never referred to Highway 1 or PCH as "The 1" or 99 through the central valley as "The 99".
But those are highways, not freeways.

"Southern California residents idiomatically refer to freeways with the definite article, as "the [freeway number]", e.g. "the 5" or "the 10". This use of the article differs from other American dialects, including that of Northern California....
California State Route 99 (SR 99), commonly known as Highway 99 or, simply, as 99 (without any further designation), is a north–south state highway..."
-Wikipedia

Which is another reason the clip is so funny; it's such an accurate depiction of the preoccupation that people have with traffic and commutes, at least in the west L.A. area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2013, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 27,018,995 times
Reputation: 6824
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But those are highways, not freeways.

"Southern California residents idiomatically refer to freeways with the definite article, as "the [freeway number]", e.g. "the 5" or "the 10". This use of the article differs from other American dialects, including that of Northern California....
California State Route 99 (SR 99), commonly known as Highway 99 or, simply, as 99 (without any further designation), is a north–south state highway..."
-Wikipedia

Which is another reason the clip is so funny; it's such an accurate depiction of the preoccupation that people have with traffic and commutes, at least in the west L.A. area.
So how does that explain "The 2?". Also, the 55 is a state route like 99, which is also a freeway, at least in some parts. I'm not so sure the rules are hard and fast. We would also call some freeways more commonly by name rather than by number.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-03-2013 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 AM
 
Location: So Ca
15,623 posts, read 14,891,593 times
Reputation: 13545
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
So how does that explain "The 2?".
It's the Glendale freeway, isn't it? But let's not hijack the thread again. Why do people say "the" 405?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top