Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 04:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Actually, ALL that data IS already collected and available -- to the company that collects it (Verizon, for example) ... and if they want to sell it -- in the form the government demands it -- they can and will. Verizon's only pi**ed because it has to give it to Uncle Sam for free. If they were getting paid for it they wouldn't care in the slightest.

And the point was / is, data-mining is a huge business / force in today's world. Your privacy isn't. Your privacy doesn't exist anymore.

The government isn't collecting names, it is collecting data numbers -- which numbers can be traced to names if there is a reason to do that. That, of course is the fear: Big Brother CAN get your personal details if it wants! Yeah, well it can a lot of ways. So can Amazon, and Barnes and Noble, and every other corporation in the world that has the bucks to pay for the data. And they do.

Hey, you using Google right now? Look up at the browser page ... see all the ads changing every time you click forward and then move on to another? Notice what a coincidence it is that there's an ad for chicken-manure when you were just having a fun e-mail exchange with your buddy about how chicken-shirt your boss is?

Funny how that keeps on happening, ain't it?
I understand exactly how data-mining works. I understand its value. I disagree with you that the data the federal government gets from Verizon is already available. Verizon naturally has this data since the phone calls happen on their network.

Read the Jeffrey Deaver book "The Broken Window" for a fictionalized and criminal exploitation of data mining.

Verizon's privacy policy for its customers includes the following statement:

"Verizon Wireless does not publish directories of our customers' wireless phone numbers, and we do not provide or make them available to third parties for listing in directories unless you request that we do so."

Privacy is threatened everywhere we go. But it is not gone entirely and I am unwilling to concede that it is lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
One familiar with my posts might assume I would jump on the anti-Feinstein and anti-wiretapping bandwagon -- but, surprise surprise, not so. This is garden-variety data-mining. It is completely impersonal, unless the sorts find matches to known / suspected security threats. Now, while there is concern over establishing a precedent for government to have the rights to collect data which, many would argue, could be used for other kinds of surveillance, some thought should be given to the reality that we are in the digital age now. Data mining exists in extraordinary depth by the private sector already. All of these "records" are available to the government because, well, they exist in the private sector already. The government isn't forcing Verizon to collect something it hasn't already collected.

Anybody can buy this kind of information from private sellers in a variety of sorts.

Welcome to the nasty reality of living in the digital age.
Amazing how many Repugs agree with you.

It has nothing to do with what Verizon is collecting that information is stored in its servers, however it's the fact that they've been ordered to turn it over for three months now.

Much of the particular information they have received via the super secret FISA warrant is NOT available to the public no matter what the price.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:09 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Pretty much all of you are still missing the point: the private sector already has all your data ... because all your data is available through the systems we all interact with now. The government isn't doing anything different than a variety of huge corporations are doing (except strong-arming the data for free). You don't have any secrets anymore.

There are private companies developing -- and using -- devices to "see" through the walls of homes ... to "see" inside homes through entertainment boxes ... both figuratively and literally. Why shouldn't government have access to the same data that corporations have? Do any of you really trust private corporate entities to deal ethically with your personal information and "do the right thing" for mankind? Do you think they have your best interests at heart? Monsanto? DuPont? Smith-Klein? Google? Exxon?

Dream on. The government isn't any worse an enemy than any other number of lunatic cadre'. They're all insane psychopaths and WE ALL have given them the keys to our houses -- and minds -- and hearts -- and underwear too ... heh. You are ALL buying their crap lifestyles and ideologies and visions. You are corporate-feudal serfs, working your arses off for them and shopping at the company stores, going deeper into your actual and perceived indebtedness ... you believe their dreams and struggle your entire lives to achieve them.

And now it is time for my next hike in the woods with the pups ... who are smarter than the rest of us every second of their furry little lives.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:14 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Amazing how many Repugs agree with you.

It has nothing to do with what Verizon is collecting that information is stored in its servers, however it's the fact that they've been ordered to turn it over for three months now.

Much of the particular information they have received via the super secret FISA warrant is NOT available to the public no matter what the price.
All one needs to do is put this story together with the one about the over-zealous IRS employees: "Hey boss I've picked up some phone traffic indicating these folks may be doing (fill in the blank). Perhaps we should tip off the FBI to investigate".

Old 06-06-2013, 09:50 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,435 times
Quote:
Pretty much all of you are still missing the point: the private sector already has all your data ... because all your data is available through the systems we all interact with now. The government isn't doing anything different than a variety of huge corporations are doing (except strong-arming the data for free). You don't have any secrets anymore.

There are private companies developing -- and using -- devices to "see" through the walls of homes ... to "see" inside homes through entertainment boxes ... both figuratively and literally. Why shouldn't government have access to the same data that corporations have? Do any of you really trust private corporate entities to deal ethically with your personal information and "do the right thing" for mankind? Do you think they have your best interests at heart? Monsanto? DuPont? Smith-Klein? Google? Exxon?

Dream on. The government isn't any worse an enemy than any other number of lunatic cadre'. They're all insane psychopaths and WE ALL have given them the keys to our houses -- and minds -- and hearts -- and underwear too ... heh. You are ALL buying their crap lifestyles and ideologies and visions. You are corporate-feudal serfs, working your arses off for them and shopping at the company stores, going deeper into your actual and perceived indebtedness ... you believe their dreams and struggle your entire lives to achieve them.

And now it is time for my next hike in the woods with the pups ... who are smarter than the rest of us every second of their furry little lives.
Sure corporations don't have our own intersts at heart, but the worst atrocities that have been committed have been done by governments.

I don't really care if Google reads my emails so that they can target ads to me and make money. I think it is much different from the Government (you know the guys that can put you in prison) seeing if I am doing anything criminal.

But I am sure that the governement would never abuse this kind of power.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Sure corporations don't have our own intersts at heart, but the worst atrocities that have been committed have been done by governments.

I don't really care if Google reads my emails so that they can target ads to me and make money. I think it is much different from the Government (you know the guys that can put you in prison) seeing if I am doing anything criminal.

But I am sure that the governement would never abuse this kind of power.
Power corrupts ... all are guilty. But I do not agree at all that the worst atrocities have been committed by governments. For example, right now Monsanto, DuPont, ADM, and other ag giants are taking control of the world's food supplies by patenting the life we eat ... and doing it by genetically engineering the products we consume. Big tobacco has been killing people by the many hundreds of thousands every year. And in more pernicious ways, the corporations that condition us all to the foods we eat and clothes we wear, cars we drive, entertainment we watch, etc. are all raping our minds, bodies, and souls.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Its what they do with it and the evil intent that goes along with it,,,,,

Everything will be linked... everything

There will be no privacy.... this from a government that has proven it is too big,, out of control.. partisan,,, and deceitful... and I do not trust for one second

Do not stand for watering down the constitution for one minute... be heard..
Write Feinstein and tell her so... then vote her out

Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,435 times
Quote:
Power corrupts ... all are guilty. But I do not agree at all that the worst atrocities have been committed by governments. For example, right now Monsanto, DuPont, ADM, and other ag giants are taking control of the world's food supplies by patenting the life we eat ... and doing it by genetically engineering the products we consume. Big tobacco has been killing people by the many hundreds of thousands every year. And in more pernicious ways, the corporations that condition us all to the foods we eat and clothes we wear, cars we drive, entertainment we watch, etc. are all raping our minds, bodies, and souls.
I can't really remember the Exxon Holocaust or Khmer Rouge brought to us by Monsanto, can you? This of course ignores the fact that corporations cannot even exist in the absence of government. Due to this fact corporations are ultimately accountable to someone (shareholders, the government, their lenders etc.). Governments can force their will upon us without asking anyone for permission.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:12 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
I know of a Company (cough, we'll call it X) that tracks who you call, what you watch, where you go on the net and sells it for big $ to marketing Companies. This has been going on far longer than digi time.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I can't really remember the Exxon Holocaust or Khmer Rouge brought to us by Monsanto, can you? This of course ignores the fact that corporations cannot even exist in the absence of government. Due to this fact corporations are ultimately accountable to someone (shareholders, the government, their lenders etc.). Governments can force their will upon us without asking anyone for permission.
Heh. Your view is commonplace and perfect evidence of the pernicious nature of corporatism. Who do you think backs governments? Who is in control? The money? Or the loudmouth carnival barkers known as politicians? Who really pays their salaries and makes their careers?

It's not simply corporations ... it is the sociopathic control mentality that creates and manages them. And those people, whether in corporate disguise or other, perpetrate the great crimes against humanity. Mother Nature can't hold a candle to what this 1% - 3% of the population do to their fellow men and women.

Let's give another kind of specificity to the topic -- cancer ... a NCD (non-communicable disease) (with very minor exception in the HBV/HCV and HPV realm) that didn't hardly exist, if at all, prior to the neolithic era. Cancer has only recently exploded -- [not] coincidentally with modern lifestyle, chemistry, pollutions, and processed foods. Who brings these things forward with impunity and total disregard? Government?

Quote:
Key facts

Cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide, accounting for 7.6 million deaths (around 13% of all deaths) in 2008 (1).
Lung, stomach, liver, colon and breast cancer cause the most cancer deaths each year.
The most frequent types of cancer differ between men and women.
About 30% of cancer deaths are due to the five leading behavioral and dietary risks: high body mass index, low fruit and vegetable intake, lack of physical activity, tobacco use, alcohol use.
Tobacco use is the most important risk factor for cancer causing 22% of global cancer deaths and 71% of global lung cancer deaths.
Cancer causing viral infections such as HBV/HCV and HPV are responsible for up to 20% of cancer deaths in low- and middle-income countries.
About 70% of all cancer deaths in 2008 occurred in low- and middle-income countries.
Deaths from cancer worldwide are projected to continue rising, with an estimated 13.1 million deaths in 2030 (2).
Too much for you to process? Narrow down to just the lung cancer deaths caused by smoking -- that's pretty easy to identify corporately, no?
Quote:
22% of global cancer deaths
That's 22% of 7.6 million deaths: 1,672,000 people annually. Annually. X how many years would you think fair to calculate since big tobacco began marketing aggressively around the world? 50 years? More like a full 100. Compare that to all the Holocausts, Killing Fields, World Wars, Stalin's starvation and murder of 22 million of his own people in WWII, and throw in all of Mother Nature's disasters to boot -- all combined -- and you still haven't hit the suffering caused by tobacco alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California