Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
There IS no better place to live in USA than California. The ONLY thing that keeps people away/ sends residents away is the high cost of housing, specifically the land. Imagine if somehow the central/ northern coasts of California suddenly opened up to development, and it became like the East Coast with near contiguous cities. Half of USA would move out here.

Other than that it is as close as you can get to paradise on earth.
Okay, but it would lose a lot of its appeal with contiguous cities all up and down that beautiful coastline. There are already 35,000,000 people here. We probably need fewer, not more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,707 times
I've had many friends visit CA from other areas. They all fall in love with CA for the same reasons you mention and talk about moving here.

Then the reality hits home. While the weather is usually nice, we do have a rainy season despite what non-Cali people think. Traffic is atrocious. Home prices in the desirable areas are ridiculous. CA consistently ranks in the top10 highest-taxed states. It is not the perfect paradise people say it is.

Move here for a year to "test the waters" so to speak but don't commit to anything yet. You will find out that visiting a place for a short time is different than actually living there

Old 06-07-2013, 07:51 PM

493 posts, read 783,336 times
when i use to live up in sonoma co, it seemed like it was pretty common for new visitors to fall in love at/with the guerneville rodeo...

Old 06-07-2013, 08:00 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
I've had many friends visit CA from other areas. They all fall in love with CA for the same reasons you mention and talk about moving here.

Then the reality hits home. While the weather is usually nice, we do have a rainy season despite what non-Cali people think. Traffic is atrocious. Home prices in the desirable areas are ridiculous. CA consistently ranks in the top10 highest-taxed states. It is not the perfect paradise people say it is.

Move here for a year to "test the waters" so to speak but don't commit to anything yet. You will find out that visiting a place for a short time is different than actually living there
Define "desirable" please ... the truth of that lies entirely with the individual ... and there are millions of people living happily in not expensive parts of beautiful California.

Taxes? Taxes in California are highly progressive ... meaning that those high rates that detractors love to quote only affect very high earners (who can afford high taxes). California has one of the nation's very lowest state tax rates, as well as one of the highest. Name your bracket. Name your lifestyle neighborhood.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Where is Herb Caen when we need him to wax poetic on California?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Fremont:

Good: convenient to Silicon Valley, BART access, relatively safe, good city services, parks & lakes, some top schools (MSJ, Ardenwood, and Irvington High), conveniently located to other commuting destinations in the Bay Area, diverse.

Bad: Boring, no nightlife.

No, it is certainly not representative of California as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Frankly, I was shocked when I first saw Fremont. It's so unlike the rest of the Bay Area, except maybe for Daly City. But my brother lives there, so I've been trying to learn more about the place. He likes it, because there's a walk/bike trail that goes to a big park on the bay, and he rides his bike there every day. Recently, I looked at a map of the city, and was surprised to discover it has a lot of parks and lakes. So I'm going to explore that the next time I visit. The atmosphere is a far cry from Berkeley or Marin, but I'm going to give it a chance, and see if I can find some redeeming features. I think they're there.

Last edited by ccm123; 06-07-2013 at 10:25 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Frankly, I was shocked when I first saw Fremont. It's so unlike the rest of the Bay Area, except maybe for Daly City. But my brother lives there, so I've been trying to learn more about the place. He likes it, because there's a walk/bike trail that goes to a big park on the bay, and he rides his bike there every day. Recently, I looked at a map of the city, and was surprised to discover it has a lot of parks and lakes. So I'm going to explore that the next time I visit. The atmosphere is a far cry from Berkeley or Marin, but I'm going to give it a chance, and see if I can find some redeeming features. I think they're there.
Fremont more closely resembles Silicon Valley in character (pleasant, but dull, cookie cutter suburbia) than it does San Francisco/Oakland/Berkeley/Marin County.

I don't get the Daly City comparison. It's nothing like Daly City.

Its main pluses are: nice weather (warmer summers without being hot), low crime, and a BART station that connects it with other interesting parts of the Bay Area.

Its minuses are that it's dull and has bland housing stock.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
No matter where you go in the civilized world, you can simply say, "I'm from California," and they know about it, and want to know more. I doubt that happens with people from, say, New Hampshire.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't get the Daly City comparison. It's nothing like Daly City.
The cookie-cutter thing. No neighborhood shopping districts with locally-owned stores, unlike Berkeley, parts of Oakland and SF, Marin.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
^^This^^.

California generally works best for professionals with good incomes who don't have or want kids and who are ok with paying a lot for housing that isn't that great in terms of square footage. Once kids enter the picture, California becomes a real rat race for most. Even those who are well off can get worn down by the hassles and high costs of living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California