Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM

919 posts, read 1,782,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvyspctr View Post
"Typical America" as in a city that incorporates almost all elements of the country. The type of America we see in the movies.

Also, what is "Briti"? At least "Cali" is an frequently used word meaning California.

Look forward to you Californians' sarcasm.
I'm sorry, but this is just plain dumb. No such thing as a typical American city, and if your standard is what's seen in movies, then you'll look for a city that is invaded by:

1. Zombies.
2. Space aliens. Being from California, you gotta distinguish between space and those from south of the border.
3. People who have more horsepower than brains.
4. All women have giant gazooms and bend over a lot.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but there ain't any of those in typical American cities. Maybe you should save yourself the aggravation and rent more movies. As a supposed history major, I'm sure you'll find your version of history in a cinema.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, what does this mean? I am guessing all the universities mentioned have a large Colombian student presence...
Cali is a major city in the nation of Colombia.....

49 posts, read 61,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
The most 'stereotypical' college campus is San Diego State. You're in a big city with a great campus and lots to do.

Santa Cruz would be my second choice. My sister went there. You'll have a blast there but Santa Cruz is a little isolated. It's also cold most of the year.

The 'best' school is UC San Diego. However, it is geared more towards scientists and engineers and has an introverted student body. I went to UCSD for undergrad.

I would honestly choose San Diego State if I were you. You are still getting your actual degree from your UK university. San Diego State isn't the 'best' college out of your list but will give you the best life experience.
Yes, you are correct. Maybe I should put aside US rep. I am attending the 20th best university in the UK - The University of Kent - Canterbury (Guardian rankings 2014) - so I should be okay.

However, I have heard SDSU is in a poor part of town and there are lots of drugs busts. Not that I have a problem with drugs. I do with cocaine, etc. Not with marijuana. If it is marijuana raids then I am not bothered.

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
"Typical America" as in a city that incorporates almost all elements of the country. The type of America we see in the movies.
Oh, you mean the typical American city with the swamps, mountains, farms, ocean, ranches, deserts, plains, islands, permafrost, forests, skyscrapers, tarpaper shacks, mansions, trailer parks, victorians, adobe huts, tract houses, tenements, igloos, bungalows? That one?

Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
I'm sorry, but this is just plain dumb. No such thing as a typical American city, and if your standard is what's seen in movies, then you'll look for a city that is invaded by:

1. Zombies.
2. Space aliens. Being from California, you gotta distinguish between space and those from south of the border.
3. People who have more horsepower than brains.
4. All women have giant gazooms and bend over a lot.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but there ain't any of those in typical American cities. Maybe you should save yourself the aggravation and rent more movies. As a supposed history major, I'm sure you'll find your version of history in a cinema.....
Not outlandish films. Films/TV shows about families, etc. off the top of my head "Modern Family".

I suppose you are correct in thinking it is dumb, writing that it does sound dumb.

Disregard my borderline ludicrous comment and instead of suggesting a typical American city, suggest one that would meet my other criteria

Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Oh, you mean the typical American city with the swamps, mountains, farms, ocean, ranches, deserts, plains, islands, permafrost, forests, skyscrapers, tarpaper shacks, mansions, trailer parks, victorians, adobe huts, tract houses, tenements, igloos, bungalows? That one?
You forgot the doughnut shops....

Old 06-07-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
If you read one of my replies to some other poster I said a city that incorporates MOST elements typically found in America; not every one.

Nonetheless, ignore that statement about wanting to be in a typical American city.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You forgot the doughnut shops....
...and sarcastic forum users.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Cali is a major city in the nation of Colombia.....
Of course. Not up on my South American geography, that's why I am a history student.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
- Good for a history major.
- Typical America
- Good weather
- Good transport
- Beautiful campus.
- Good dorms.
Your post was irresistible for sarcasm, sorry

Re: above:

"Good" used 4 X, "Typical" (although you have requested we ignore this) and "beautiful" are all subjective.

Nobody can read your mind. Perhaps if you could be more specific...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California