U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM

18,010 posts, read 22,759,036 times

Advertisements

It occurred to me that maybe you should look at Texas. The economy in Texas is doing really well. Houston has lots to offer, including beaches. The weather is much better than being where you are now. I've always loved Texas. Most friendly place I've ever been. And it's much more affordable than CA coast prices.

Galveston Island State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Houston Parks - Bike Trails - Nature Centers - Wildlife Refuge - Visit Houston Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,905,791 times
Quote:
California is the kind of place you move after you've graduated college, and/or have several years invested in your chosen career. It's not a place to come chase the "California dream" if you have nothing to offer...that hasn't existed for decades.
Well said.

And it's true. It amazes me how many people try and escape their problems elsewhere in the country by heading to California or some other "good vibes" southwestern state (AZ and NM come to mind), completely unprepared, in hopes to start over in life.

I understand the fact that California (AZ or NM) are alluring destinations to people from back east, up north, or from the midwest, but you guys have to keep in mind - you're competing with everyone else that finds this portion of the country attractive as well.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 7,676 times
I have not graduated yet, and not doing the best in school. If I do graduate next year, I might not be able to get into a four-year college because of my GPA.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:20 PM

18,010 posts, read 22,759,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitagamii View Post
I have not graduated yet, and not doing the best in school. If I do graduate next year, I might not be able to get into a four-year college because of my GPA.
You can still get into a community college and it's cheaper. Do that for 2 years for all your general education requirements, then transfer. Especially, if you move to another state, because your first year tuition will be "out of state" tuition, which is more expensive.

In CA you don't even have to graduate high school or even get your GED to go to community college. You just need to be 18.

Same is true for Texas: Eligibility

If nursing interests you at all, you can make great money and live wherever you want.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 AM

1,900 posts, read 3,494,506 times
Quote:
You know, you just keep adding to your tale of woe.

Sorry, but just stay put for now, unless you have family or really, really robust contacts here in California. FINISH HIGH SCHOOL AS WELL AS YOU CAN. Let this desire of yours spark something inside which will start this engine and get you going (planning, saving, thinking, etc.). It may take several years, but it will be better for you and your mom in the long run.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,676,895 times
"My mom is an unemployed waiter, rent is 1k per month in MN, she's behind on her $300 per month cable bill, but we want to move to one of the most $$$$ parts of the country because we want to be near "the beach. Oh yeah, and did I mention I might not graduate from high school?"

Yeah sure, come on out. Plenty of dole money to go around. Maybe you'll get one of those Section 8 places in Santa Monica or Laguna Beach after being on the list for 15 years.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 AM

570 posts, read 553,999 times
Quote:
My mother, who is a waiter and is currently unemployed (but is trying to get a job), and I, a 17 year old, want to move to California. My mother says that we couldn't afford it right now, but maybe she could find a company that has a business in California that could help the fees. I'm not sure if my mom knows the taxes, and the rent down there, but I've been searching it yesterday and today, and people are saying we could get by, and some are saying we couldn't. We aren't exactly rich right now, far from it, and my mom has to cut things (lower the cable, lower the phone) and her car is not working properly (she only uses it when she's grocery shopping, but started to use the bus).
I know with our financial situation that we shouldn't be looking for a place to move, especially a place like California. But I really want to move to California, near the beach and a good area.
Rent is currently at least $1,000, and the cable is about at least $300, and she is behind a bit.
It really isn't a good time to move, but it's just something I've been looking into.
There are so many cities and places in California.
I am wondering are there any cheaper places, but a nice area with a social and beach life?
Thanks.
Hate to rain on your parade, but paying for relocation costs is typically part of a job offer when working in the corporate world and not typically offered for waitstaff. Why would they? They have a ton of people here already willing and able to do the job.

Have a lot of money saved up. Rent is high and so are deposits. California is expensive and I just can't see someone struggling in Minnesota having an easy time here. My rent is nearly $1800/mo.

Have you looked at Florida? Cheaper and there are beaches.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:20 PM

243 posts, read 391,055 times
The nicer parts with beaches in Florida are as expensive as in California. And salaries are really bad, people are strange and climate is not as nice as in California. Anyway, if you want to try West Coast start with Portland or Seattle: the are not very cheap either, but Seattle has pretty good job situation and Portland is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California