U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,719 times

Advertisements

My mother, who is a waiter and is currently unemployed (but is trying to get a job), and I, a 17 year old, want to move to California. My mother says that we couldn't afford it right now, but maybe she could find a company that has a business in California that could help the fees. I'm not sure if my mom knows the taxes, and the rent down there, but I've been searching it yesterday and today, and people are saying we could get by, and some are saying we couldn't. We aren't exactly rich right now, far from it, and my mom has to cut things (lower the cable, lower the phone) and her car is not working properly (she only uses it when she's grocery shopping, but started to use the bus).
I know with our financial situation that we shouldn't be looking for a place to move, especially a place like California. But I really want to move to California, near the beach and a good area.
Rent is currently at least $1,000, and the cable is about at least $300, and she is behind a bit.
It really isn't a good time to move, but it's just something I've been looking into.
There are so many cities and places in California.
I am wondering are there any cheaper places, but a nice area with a social and beach life?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 01:52 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,952,231 times
Sure, California could use more homeless people.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,719 times
Would we be homeless?

Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitagamii View Post
Would we be homeless?
Someone who can't even pay their cable bill isn't likely to afford living in the most expensive part of the most expensive state. So yes, homeless is a distinct possibility given your first post. Assuming this isn't a troll post.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,409,482 times
EC is being curt, but not untruthful. Most likely, if you two weren't truly "homeless", you'd be one of these folks:
HBO: Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County: Home

California is the kind of place you move after you've graduated college, and/or have several years invested in your chosen career. It's not a place to come chase the "California dream" if you have nothing to offer...that hasn't existed for decades.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:47 PM

30,693 posts, read 33,456,199 times
There are other places that are warmer and there are other places you can be near water but CA won't work for you now. Maybe you can give it a go after college on your own, it's usually cheaper than relocating an unemployed family member along with you.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Turn off the cable, go to the library for DVDs or even splurge for Netflix. Save the $300/month and move here in a few years with all that money.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:56 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,677,361 times
If she can't find a job in MN, don't bother coming to CA. The job opportunities here are worst than MN. If she can get a job and transfer than yeah...go for it but CA is not all that. In fact, my sister just left CA a few weeks ago and is having better luck with her job search in MN than when she was in CA.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:02 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,202,062 times
I'm afraid you won't be able to have both cheap rent AND be close to a beach. You and your mom could probably live inland where the rent is cheaper. No way can you afford to live on the coast.

I don't know about southern California but the Sacramento area (and surrounding cities) has plenty of restaurants. Whether they're hiring is another matter. California is doing a bit better in some sectors but I'm not sure food service is one of them. Lots of small restaurants, cafes and diners have closed since the recession. It's always best to have employment before moving to any area and even more crucial in the past five years.

Best advice I can give you is stay where you are, start cutting back on expenses and put the money in the bank so you'll have some cushion when you do make the move. Be prepared for a higher cost of living here. It's doable but you'll need some savings to get you into a rental. That's not cheap, no matter where you go. Think and plan before you make such an expensive decision.

You say you're 17. Have you graduated high school yet?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 AM

327 posts, read 456,738 times
Since I was a 12 yr old kid, I dreamed about living in SoCal but I didn't have the opportunity or the financial means to do so. I eventually made it out here when I was 28...saved a little money and came here for graduate school and it's been great.

My advice to you at 17 is that you have a long way to go so to speak and you should take the steps necessary to put yourself in a good position and come out here. Go to college (or a trade school) build professional skills that will be in demand....get a job at a large company that would offer an easy transfer down the road...my point being you can wait on this dream so when you come out here, you have a shot to enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California