Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,846 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone ---- I am relocating to Redding for a job soon and wanted to hear more about it --- are there any funky/interesting shops, good places to eat, local hike or bike trails, other fun activities? How is the downtown --- does it have any nightlife or walking to shops and tourism-type stuff?

Also, is there any problem with snow and driving in and around the city or is that mainly out in the surrounding areas?

Any reviews of places or tips on good places to go and things to do would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Lets see.. funky... you have to go to the beadman on park marina.. its a right of passage for redding

Turtle Bay, Shasta Dam, Shasta Caverns, Old Shasta , Whiskeytown Lake, Mount Shasta, McLeod , Weaverville

We have thousands of acres of natural beauty

Snow.. rare in Redding.. lasts a day or two.. leave the city for elevation.. > 3000 ft and you'll see it in the winter

Be ready of hot dry heat.. and I mean hot

Food.. Im a healthy vegan and we grow much of what we eat so I cant help you there.. Redding has its share of lower class shovel ready restaurants.. high end food... if madelanas in Dunsmuir is still open she is an awesome real Italian cook in an intimate setting..

Last edited by notmeofficer; 06-18-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
The only thing I remember about Redding is Whiskeytown Lake and 110-118 degrees in the summer.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I'm planning a move to Redding, too, to retire. I've gotten a lot of feedback on this forum. Here's some websites I've gathered:

If you have a dog or just like to go watch them you have to check this out (watch the video):

Shastasplash.org redding ca

Shasta County Destinations | Shasta Dogs

Redding Recreation, Special Events

Whiskeytown Lake | California

Shasta Caverns

Redding.com: Blogs: Marc Beauchamp's blog

There are also rodeos in the area, and I love rodeos!

Redding Rodeo

Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
First of all, congratulations on landing a job in Redding. Not many of those in the area.

There is the river trail along the Sacramento River which crosses the Sundial Bridge.

If you want to go hardcore, head up to the mountains and the national forests, wilderness areas and state parks for a hike. Places like: Castle Crags, Klamath Wilderness, Burney Falls, Lava Beds, Medicine Lake, and that falls by Dunsmuir, the name of which escapes me. Climb Mt Lassen or even Mt Shasta. Nowadays, you should be able to find trail maps online with the state parks and the National Forest Service.

Some Reddingites are trying to make something of their Downtown. Hard to know if it will take.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:49 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times
Crystal meth is cheap and bountiful in Redding, if you're into that sort of thing.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Crystal meth is cheap and bountiful in Redding, if you're into that sort of thing.

Well, yes, I guess that is something...

Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

Any places to listen to live music?

Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Not much to do but take apart lawn mowers in your living room, smoke meth and watch pawn stars, while the neighborhood kids urinate in your swamp cooler pads. Redding is pretty backwards.

If you choose to visit whiskeytown etc do NOT leave anything of value in your car period. Not even the owners manual. Tweekers are damn near everywhere looking to steal. You might even save your self some grief by leaving your car unlocked just to avoid a broken window.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Buy electric fan futures.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 AM

11 posts, read 34,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Not much to do but take apart lawn mowers in your living room, smoke meth and watch pawn stars, while the neighborhood kids urinate in your swamp cooler pads. Redding is pretty backwards.

If you choose to visit whiskeytown etc do NOT leave anything of value in your car period. Not even the owners manual. Tweekers are damn near everywhere looking to steal. You might even save your self some grief by leaving your car unlocked just to avoid a broken window.
Unfortunately the statement about the tweekers and getting you car broken into is true. They also target the nicer areas, around Mary Lake and the Hilltop area apartments. Any area that has a nice are next to a poorer area (most of redding) is hit hard by theft.

I am hightailing it out of here for a place with less crime. I no longer feel safe.
I think the only thing Redding has going for it is that it is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California