U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
 
Location: the illegal immigrant state
757 posts, read 1,467,626 times
Reputation: 1019

Advertisements

(OK, I'll bite.)

OP,

I don't know where you live, who you live with or your background in general but you may want to think twice before trying to get yourself into any kind of subsidized housing as the kind of people in those housing situations are often those you would rather avoid. Such people can meet any meet any number of descriptions- mentally ill, drug addicted, or both; they might have criminal backgrounds or they might otherwise have little concept or respect for your person, your personal space or your personal property.

Put differently, you may want to ask yourself why most people do whatever they can to distance themselves from the type of people I described above. Ask yourself why most people want to live in a "good neighborhood" or a "good area." Ask yourself why middle class and upper class Americans fled to the suburbs and have been living there for a half century. Why???

I think that if you get what you want which is to live in some kind of subsidized housing, you'll have a rude awakening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2013, 09:58 AM
 
171 posts, read 462,882 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
(OK, I'll bite.)

OP,

I don't know where you live, who you live with or your background in general but you may want to think twice before trying to get yourself into any kind of subsidized housing as the kind of people in those housing situations are often those you would rather avoid. Such people can meet any meet any number of descriptions- mentally ill, drug addicted, or both; they might have criminal backgrounds or they might otherwise have little concept or respect for your person, your personal space or your personal property.

Put differently, you may want to ask yourself why most people do whatever they can to distance themselves from the type of people I described above. Ask yourself why most people want to live in a "good neighborhood" or a "good area." Ask yourself why middle class and upper class Americans fled to the suburbs and have been living there for a half century. Why???

I think that if you get what you want which is to live in some kind of subsidized housing, you'll have a rude awakening.
What a rude, hateful and misinformed person you are. After having lived in subsidized housing for many years I can tell you how wrong you are. This building and the people who live in it are decent. The few crimes there have been were committed by people who came from the outside. People who have even one felony on their record are not even allowed to live in this building. The owner maintains the property as well as any non-subsidized housing. As far as the OP living in a building of this type -- forget about it. The lists in almost all cities in California are closed. Even if the lists were open the wait would be probably more than 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 10:15 AM
 
171 posts, read 462,882 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Maybe you have already seen this, but be sure to check-out this cool section:

What is an Independent Living Center? - ILS - California Department of Rehabilitation

To contact the Independent Living Section, call (916) 558-5775 (Voice), or (916) 558-5778(TTY), or send an email to ILInfo@dor.ca.gov

Best of Luck!
From the website you referenced:
Housing - ILC offers one-on-one assistance to qualified consumers in locating affordable and accessible housing, as well as to access programs. They keyword being affordable, not free.

The OP stated that they are just dealing with some tough times right now. This doesn't sound like someone who has a specific disability. If so, why wouldn't they have said so? They did say they wanted to find a place with free room and board. If places like that existed then there wouldn't be so many homeless people! People don't live at independent living centers, they are helped to live in the community.

Your suggestion for Rehab for possible job training is a good one. They may not qualify for help but they could at least go through the application process and find out.

Last edited by linden52; 06-26-2013 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Aliso Viejo, Orange County, CA
4,968 posts, read 6,365,858 times
Reputation: 4083
Quote:
Originally Posted by linden52 View Post
From the website you referenced:
Housing - ILC offers one-on-one assistance to qualified consumers in locating affordable and accessible housing, as well as to access programs. They keyword being affordable, not free.

The OP stated that they are just dealing with some tough times right now. This doesn't sound like someone who has a specific disability. If so, why wouldn't they have said so? They did say they wanted to find a place with free room and board. If places like that existed then there wouldn't be so many homeless people! People don't live at independent living centers, they are helped to live in the community.

Your suggestion for Rehab for possible job training is a good one. They may not qualify for help but they could at least go through the application process and find out.
She did say she is disabled, but didn't specify the type of disability. She has a right to keep that info off the forum. Also, the OP may not need or get free room and board, but may not know of her other options.

I'm no social worker, but I just wanted to point her in the right general direction so that others could help her sort things out.

She can call and the professionals there will assist her after performing an intake and making an assessment. Recommendations would follow. That's not the type of thing that is hashed-out on a forum.

Last edited by pacific2; 06-26-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 PM
 
Location: California
30,693 posts, read 33,456,199 times
Reputation: 26112
I am not under the impression that the OP is looking for the type of housing being discussed here. Read the title and the original question. You won't get your own place with everything paid anywhere. You could qualify for special housing (group homes and such) if you meet certain criteria but certainly not independent living, that always comes with a high price tag. Even if you go the other way and make this about section 8 housing and welfare you don't waltz into that nor is it something to aspire to. The OP seems to be describing an "all inclusive" living situation (club med??) where you go in and everything is done for you, not a place for temporary assistance or long term care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 PM
 
1,618 posts, read 3,370,150 times
Reputation: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygals View Post
Does the state of California have any types of programs for housing like for example, if I wanted my own house with utilities paid, food paid, etc.

WOW, SIGN ME UP!!

I have been doing it all wrong these past years. I thought i had to WORK to make the cash to pay my own way and not depend on the State to take care of me!


What a mentality!!! We are doomed.

There are not going to be enough people actually working to take of the ones that want the freebies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 12:59 PM
 
49 posts, read 35,235 times
Reputation: 15
I do have disability problems ok and I wouldn't mind living in the situation mentioned above of living in a building with other people with mental disability problems etc. If I got my own room/apartment thing thats fine with me. I have heard of these types of living/housing programs through friends and family. I have tried that Department of Rehab program and the lady that helped me did not help me at all. I have applied to work and even tried getting my driver's license but just cannot pass the written or driving test everytime I do pass either one I end up failing the whole process. And with the job applying I keep applying and no luck with getting a job, just keep getting rejected. Not sure if I am answering the assessment tests wrong or what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 01:34 PM
 
570 posts, read 555,750 times
Reputation: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygals View Post
I DO NOT have drugs, smoking, or drinking problems ok.
Then it sounds like a homeless shelter would work just fine until you get on your feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Aliso Viejo, Orange County, CA
4,968 posts, read 6,365,858 times
Reputation: 4083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygals View Post
I do have disability problems ok and I wouldn't mind living in the situation mentioned above of living in a building with other people with mental disability problems etc. If I got my own room/apartment thing thats fine with me. I have heard of these types of living/housing programs through friends and family. I have tried that Department of Rehab program and the lady that helped me did not help me at all. I have applied to work and even tried getting my driver's license but just cannot pass the written or driving test everytime I do pass either one I end up failing the whole process. And with the job applying I keep applying and no luck with getting a job, just keep getting rejected. Not sure if I am answering the assessment tests wrong or what.
Ponygals, it has to be extremely frustrating, but the only thing I can suggest is that you go back to the Dept. of Rehab and let them know that things are not working out. Maybe they will assign a different social worker, or case manager to you. People there should be able to help you identify the problem and come to some sort of resolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2013, 04:22 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 11,431,560 times
Reputation: 12307
A person cannot just decide that they are disabled for purposes of getting public assistance. Even a doctor cannot decide this. Only a judge in a court of law can do this.

If you have no income or benefits coming in, that means you have not gone through the legal process. You would have to file for disability and wait to see what the law decides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top